AM3+ and PCIExpress 2.0 limitation

OldGunney

n00b
Any reason why AM3+ socket motherboards can not run at PCIIExpress 3.0 level? I have a Geforce GTX950 video card that has PCIexpress 3.0, but my MoBo only goes up to 2.0. Looks like I need to replace MoBo, but want to keep my AM3+ CPU processor.

Any reason why AM3+ socket motherboards can not run at PCIIExpress 3.0 level? I have a Geforce GTX950 video card that has PCIexpress 3.0, but my MoBo only goes up to 2.0. Looks like I need to replace MoBo, but want to keep my AM3+ CPU processor.

You can run it perfectly Pci-e 3.0 fine video cards are compatible with 2.0 . They have different bandwidth allocation which is next to never used. You can find some benchmarks which reveal "numbers" which claim 3.0 is faster but you won't notice it at all.

3.0 might be necessary in certain workloads with a high end video card in a x8 slot. Should be fine with 2.0 in a x16 slot.

I was just looking down the rode for when i might need more frame rates. Right now I'm running BF4 on medium setings and keeping my video card locked to a modes 65 FPS as my monitor is a slow 60hz one. With the card I have now I could play the game at 150 FPS if I had a better monitor.

its only a difference of like 3-5%(if that) in fps between 3.0 x16 and 2.0 x16. in games you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference, especially while youre still on a 60Hz monitor.

What they changed in 3.0 that has an impact is bandwidth for communication between slots when you use several PCI-E devices then 2.0 becomes saturated very fast which does not happen under 3.0 you can still do benchmarks that can saturate bandwidth but is it something you will never experience in real life , hardly so (talking about single gpu) ..

Last edited:
Back