AM2 X2 4600+ vs. E6300 CONROE

Wich0

Limp Gawd
I didn't know if to post this here or in INTEL side lol. A friend of mine is giving me either of these processors along with 2gb of ddr2 ram. I was just wondering performance wise (for gaming) which is better at stock speeds?

The E6300. Not only that, but it will allow him to be prepared for Quad Core in the future :cool:

of all the talk about how great conroe was suppose to be.. i wasnt satify with it at all.. i had a e6300 clocked at 3.0ghz.. and at times i thought my old amd 1xx opteron system was a whole alot better... but since is just the x2 series.. id say you'll be fine with either one.. id take the amd though.. unless u really want quad core... i still dont see how you could use up 100% dual core capability yet

My biggest concern is the price of the Conroe motherboards. I haven't seen a decent one for under $100.

xizgone said:
of all the talk about how great conroe was suppose to be.. i wasnt satify with it at all.. i had a e6300 clocked at 3.0ghz.. and at times i thought my old amd 1xx opteron system was a whole alot better... but since is just the x2 series.. id say you'll be fine with either one.. id take the amd though.. unless u really want quad core... i still dont see how you could use up 100% dual core capability yet

How so?!

I say E6300 by FAR.

you seem to want stock speeds and to try and keep your cost low. i would say go with the AMD chip.

CEREAL_KILLER said:
you seem to want stock speeds and to try and keep your cost low. i would say go with the AMD chip.

Well I really don't want to spend $150+ on a motherboard..The most I would spend is maybe $100-$110. Plenty AM2 motheboards at that price, are there any decent motherboards for Conroe at that price? I haven't had Intel CPU since P3, so I'm not too familiar.

Gigabyte DS3 is around $140 and the S3 is $115 and both with clock that E6300 to speeds above 3.0Ghz

I don't know what socket the X2 4600+ is on, but I'd also make sure that you could upgrade the processor in a year or two without having to get a new mobo.

At stock speeds there probably isn't too much difference, but OC'd the E6300 for sure. If running stock, you don't need any fancy boards, just get a decently cheap one with the features you want.

People a E6300 owned a FX-62 in almost every benchmark we been seeing for the past how many months. C2D rules just face it. Its faster its better in every way, its the ultimate cpu. Maybe AMD should stop saying that about the FX-62.

Back