AM2 compatible with 1066mhz DDR2?

DedEmbryonicCe11

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been looking at the higher end X2s and considering a AM2+ build in a couple weeks. Alerted by a Newegg comments (yes, I know) about the processors not supporting 1066 memory I went to AMD and found this:
Listed are "PC2 6400(DDR2-800), PC2 5300(DDR2-667), PC2 4200(DDR2-533), and PC2 3200(DDR2-400) unbuffered memory (socket AM2)". Seeing as I'm completely unfamiliar with AM2 and DDR2 I don't know what that means as far as PC2 8500 (1066) compatibility when the motherboard supports it. So, please enlighten me as to whether the random Newegg comment actually had any merit to it.:)

1066 is suported on alot of am2 boards. but what you will find is that its is only with am2+ cpu's. phenom.

I have a 5000+ BE with 1066 mem on a M3A32 mvp deluxe and it works with the cpu I have, but to get the 1066 speed, you have to OC, it defaults to 800.

My DFI 790FX-M2R, with the latest bios update supports 1066mhz ram setting with a phenom in it.

i used 1066mhz corsair dominators on one of my AM2 builds, Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe Mobo, and it worked flawlessly.

Standard 1066 works just fine in an AM2 motherboard, it's just that it won't work at its rated speed unless you overclock.

If you're running 1:1, it'll carry you to 266HTT without having to worry about overclocking the RAM. By the way, with the height of the K8 multipliers, 266 should be more than enough to get where you want to be.

With an AM2+ motherboard, you'll be able to run the RAM at its rated speed without overclocking. However, then you start bumping up the cost of the rig, which in my opinion eliminates any part of AMDs advantage...

With an AM2+ motherboard, you'll be able to run the RAM at its rated speed without overclocking. However, then you start bumping up the cost of the rig, which in my opinion eliminates any part of AMDs advantage...
I'm going to take it you are referring to some of the high end boards mentioned often here. So far I have actually been looking towards the 770 chipset since I don't need anything all that fancy. The price range for these is $60-$100 at Newegg right now. I'm just looking to upgrade to a solid dual core setup for now and wanted assured Phenom support for the future. I know some of the AM2+ boards people recommend here are quite expensive (to me) but they're going for things like SLI/Crossfire support which I have no intention of. Or am I missing something and there's other reasons to buy into a more expensive chipset?

I have done that exact thing, as I would guess have a number of others. I just built a second 5000+BE box using an Abit AX78 (AMD770). I was going to wait for the 45nm Deneb at the end of the year, however the reviews of the 9850 (Sharky Extreme in particular) have changed my mind and I'm now simply waiting for its availability at the retailers. I haven't tried overclocking the AX78 as yet and am using OCZ Gold, PC800, but I've got a set of virgin OCZ PC1066 ready to go in with the quad.:D

i use ddr2-1066 in my biostar am2 board, but since its a ddr2-800 standard board....the memory is at 800mhz instead of 1066. this just leaves a lot of head room for overclocking the cpu's fsb. as long as its ddr2, you should be able to use ddr2-1066 in any ddr2 mobo

Back