AM2 Availability??

I just got one so... they're definitely available. Unfortunately I had to choose from only three supporting motherboards.

That is awesome that the K9N Platinum is so cheap compared to the K8N boards... is it 16X/16X too? Why are other MB guys not making more of them!??! :(

Hi guys,

I'm going to be getting a AM2 Athlon 64 X2 cpu in the next few weeks. Would it be best to wait for the lower powered ones that are supposed to be out fairly soon? I figure that the lower powered ones will overclock better?

Also, of all the dual core athlon 64's which one gives the best bang for the buck when i'm planning to overclock? Is the 4000x2 the best?

FreiDOg said:
Generally, better overclockers than most of the standard 89W parts.
The 35W parts are certainly lower voltage chips, but other than that are identical to the 65 and 89W (or or 62W in the case of the Semprons) parts. (I think the 35W SFF parts are 1.2-1.25 or maybe 1.2-1.3V instead of 1.35-1.4 for the standard models)
The 65W parts I don't know the voltage. It's likely less than the 89W parts, but given the lor power dissipation of the 89 / 110W S939 X2s they may just be cores that exhibit really low leakage.

I any case, it's fairly unlikely the low power parts will be on the SiGe + SMT process we're seeing with the highest clocked parts (like the 3ghz Opterons, the FX60 or FX62). Meaning the low power chips probably won't have great top end (3+ghz reliably) overclocks you might iwth high speed 'power be damned' lines.

From another thread...

kirbyrj said:
From another thread...

SiGe in this case is a complete misnomer for the process type. SiGe is a separate type of semiconductor that is incredibly difficult to work with compared to "plain old" silicon.

A SiGe layer is used to stretch the Si lattice, and is then removed. A proper nomenclature here would be DSL or SSOI. (dual stress liner, stressed silicon on insulator)

The usage of the SiGe name bothered me, because there is no way AMD has a process manufacturable with a SiGe substrate with the volume they need to supply the current market demands.

That said, continue on, citizens.

Back