Am I the only person who thinks Devil May Cry 3 is stupidly difficult?

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
I just rented this game tonight because I was bored (and because Blockbuster was, once again, out of God of War :rolleyes: ) and wow, am I missing something? Because either this is the most ridiculously difficult game ever, or the learning curve is, like, vertical. I was dying so much that the game unlocked "Easy" mode for me, and even in that, it feels like button-mashing. If I actually survive it's most likely because I just happened to button mash the right buttons, but surviving any particular area takes like 3 tries. I always get like "C" or "D" for style, even though as far as the game has told me, there's only like 3 moves to be done...hard to get variation in there when you have to kill 200 enemies with 3 moves.

I dunno, I guess I could see where it would be considered "stylish," but games are supposed to be fun. Listening to the same terrible lyrics while watching the loading screen before yet another attempt to beat an area isn't my idea of fun, but maybe I just suck.

Dunno about the difficulty of it, to be honest, but I thought I would say that, when you get out God of War, you shouldn't have a problem with that. ; ) The combat system is incredibly fluid.

But, to try to be a bit on topic:

I'm not sure what DMC it was, but I watched either the 2nd or 3rd being played through the middle-ending, and while it looked a tad hard, it looked incredibly fun. So keep going through it a bit, and get the hang of it. Then hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Can you block? (I sure hope so) Cause if you can, that'll save your ass so much if you learn how to use it properly.

DMC is a fun game, its just that you have to get use to it.

I think all it takes it some getting use to since, Im guessing you haven't play any of the other ones? In someways it requires you to mash the buttons, like shooting. The moves in dmc3 are in someways easyer to use since you can switch weapons while in a fight which allows you to link different combos. For example, press o or whatever button it was to attack with sword 3times, then switch to your second weapon and attack using that(this has to be right away).

Sorry it it doesn't make any sense :). If you still can't get use to it then try watching a video or 2 on the web of people playing. Once you get use to it, its really a fun game

Just remember in DMC 3 you can avoid everything if you time it right (roll outta the way, jump, run ect) Sure you'll get mad at it at first but, then you'll get used to it and after you replace the PS2 you threw out the window from losing against the 3rd boss 100 times you'll enjoy it. :D

ZX6Master said:
If DMC is hard, make sure to stay the hell away from Ninja Gaiden...

QFT.

Do you think maybe recently with all the games of today we've just been turned into pussies?

I have been goofing with the Empire at War demo, hacking open some additional content to play with, and I must tell you it is a difficult game.

But then I got to thinking, lately I have been playing really easy, non thinking, games. AC, WoW etc.

I think maybe games nowadays for the most part are getting to easy.

Maybe I'll pick up DMC just to get my skills back up. ;)

ZX6Master said:
If DMC is hard, make sure to stay the hell away from Ninja Gaiden...

I can't agree with you more. XD

Rich: I assume you've played GoW? If you haven't I'm going to smack you upside the head. ;) (Good, hard game)

Nuzzles said:
I can't agree with you more. XD

Rich: I assume you've played GoW? If you haven't I'm going to smack you upside the head. ;) (Good, hard game)

No I haven't yet, Steve has told me to repeatedly, and for some reason I just haven't grabbed it yet.

One of my best friends also loved it, but I'm slackin there for some reason.

I'll get on it when I get home from vacay/wedding/honeymoon. ;)

Rich Tate said:
No I haven't yet, Steve has told me to repeatedly, and for some reason I just haven't grabbed it yet.

One of my best friends also loved it, but I'm slackin there for some reason.

I'll get on it when I get home from vacay/wedding/honeymoon. ;)

God of War... where to begin, where to begin. How about best game ever created in the history of anything?

Ok, so maybe thats pushing it, but I can safely say its the best PS2 game there is. Its brillant. On easy its a bit of a cakewalk though. On the hardest difficulty though, you will get your ass handed to you. There is also a survival mini game that hard as hell. Took me a good 4 hours of non-stop playing to beat 10 levels.

Actually it's funny you brought this subject matter up. I personally haven't played DMC3, but based on several professional reviews they all complained to some extent on the games difficulty. I guess it was definitely a con to many reviewers and players. They just recently released a SPECIAL EDITION form of the game, adding a new playable character, lowering the difficulty level ( I guess they got tired of people complaining about it), and a few other things.

So you are not alone my friends, as many before you have found great difficult playing it.

Also if you have the time and/or cash, look into RE4 and Shadow of the Colossus as well.

No.

Console games are so dumbed down these days, it's nice to have something that provides an actual challenge, even if it is a manual dexterity challenge.

I don't have the game but Dmc3 is pretty hard for me. My friend on the other hand got all SS ranks and everything in the game >_>...

Most reviewers are panty-waists when it comes to difficulty in games..."professional" indeed.

I remember seeing all kinds of complaints about Gun Valkyrie for the Xbox based on the difficulty alone. The game required a lot of hand-eye coordination, but once you got the controls you never lost them. I could pick up the game and dominate it just as well as I did three years ago.

Red~Mage said:
No.

Console games are so dumbed down these days, it's nice to have something that provides an actual challenge, even if it is a manual dexterity challenge.

It isn't just console games.

In the past ten years, I've yet to encounter a real challenge from most games, including those from the PC industry. Honestly, most of the top-tier PC titles are no problem at all.

I though the new version make it harder and more easy for new comers?

If you think getting all SS ranking is hard try beating the last boss in a few seconds(I know its under a minute)...

Z(+)DIAC said:
Also if you have the time and/or cash, look into RE4 and Shadow of the Colossus as well.
I bought SotC on a whim, and it was one of the better game purchases I've made in a long time. I rarely play games any more (video card in my PC is a PCI TNT2 Riva, and the 4 games I own for PS2 are GT3, GT4, GTA3 and SotC) but I was completely happy with that game. I'll probably buy RE4 once I get some component cables for my Gamecube, since everything looks absolutely terrible on my projector in anything less than progressive scan. I'm curious to know why Nintendo made it so impossibly difficult to find the component cables anywhere...

I have played RE4, big fan of the series.

ZX I'm totally with you. I remember when I was younger games were designed to be more of a challenge and less of an experience.

Don't get me wrong I love games that give you a great experience over anything, but can we get a half decent Hard setting?!

I really feel that games nowadays are designed easier to keep everyone playing and buying, which I am fine with, just give us who want to be REALLY tested the option.

I find it kind of funny that you point out all these reviews that bitch about the difficulty because right now it makes me want to play it just so I can actually be challenged.

I would also agree on the 10 year window. I love FFVII, but it was a new horizon in terms of FF games. All the puzzles were so dumbed down as you say, an 8 year old could probably figure them out in minutes.

DMC3 is only hard in the sense that you're more fighting against the game than the on-screen enemies. The difficulty level is artificial: you're always up against enemies with way too much health, and you never have enough room to move around it--not that Dante can actually move with any sort of speed, nor can he jump around very well. Guns are almost too weak to bother using, so you're stuck with swords against some monster with double the health he SHOULD have.

To be fair, some parts require skill--I'm thinking of the fight against Cerberus--but mostly it's a war of attrition, with Dante on the losing side.

Ninja Gaiden is both a better game and far more fair to the player, yet still genuinely difficult. DMC3 is a $50 argument for owning a Game Shark.

The vast majority of "old school" difficulty that's so nostalgic to a lot of folks is artificial too. A lot of it comes from having characters that are just plain difficult to control or don't move with the sort of precision and grace that we're now accustomed too with all our fancy physics engines.

Puzzle-type difficulty is generally skewed by age difference. I'm fairly certain that I'd have found a puzzle more difficult when I was eight years old than I would now. There's actually a lot more in-depth puzzle and strategic gaming to be had now.

Neurofreeze said:
The vast majority of "old school" difficulty that's so nostalgic to a lot of folks is artificial too. A lot of it comes from having characters that are just plain difficult to control or don't move with the sort of precision and grace that we're now accustomed too with all our fancy physics engines.

Not really. Old-school difficulty came about from timing and placement. Play Guts Man's stage in Mega Man 1, or fight the stage 2 boss in Ninja Gaiden 2. Another good example is Magnet Man's stage in Mega Man 3. A lot of old school difficulty existed by default thanks to the limited nature of what could be done with a game back then, but it's hard to think of an older game that was completely, unfairly, I-want-to-commit-suicide imbalanced.

DMC3:SE seems to have learned quite a few lessons from Ninja Gaiden Black. Let's hope that DMC4 won't require a Special Edition.

I've been thinking about this lately, actually. Have any of you played Viewtiful Joe? That's a damn hard game, and there are like 3 unlockable, even harder difficulty modes. I'm playing it through on easy and stuck on The Magnificent 5, which is five boss fights in a row with no save or anything. I feel kinda stupid being stuck on it, but I only get to play games for like an hour a day tops now. So sometimes I wonder if it's really that hard of a game, or if I just suck now :(

Shadow of the Colossus is a really good game, I think, except for the fact that the camera feels like it's being controlled by a 5 year old kid with ADHD while on ecstasy. I remember the cave level with the Colossus in the sand, and holding down L2, which is supposed to move the camera to behind your shoulder. Well, the camera thought that the best viewing angle was about 5 feet above my head, pointing straight down, thus preventing me from seeing anything. If I tried to move it with the right thumbstick, it would just re-center back up there. Man that was frustrating. I do enjoy challenging games, but I hate it when the game is hard because the camera is fubar.

LOL. If you think DMC3 only has 3 moves, you shouldn't come within 10 feet of GoW. I've played both and beaten both. Granted, I'm a bit of a DMC !!!!!! (except for 2). GoW in my opinion lacks variety in both moves and weapons. GoW is a definite rent in my opinion. Yes, it was fun, but also a tad mind-numbing. For PS2, Shadow of the Colossus and DMC3 are the best games to come out last year. I would say GT4 too, but I'm not a racer. I honestly don't understand why GoW is winning so many awards. No, there is nothing bad about it, but it wasn't great either in my opinion.

My advice for DMC3 would be to build up one style a couple of melee weapons. I think trickster is the best with the extra jumping etc. If you try to upgrade everything simultaneously you might have problems. Eventually you'll get it all, but focus on one or two at first.

Happy gaming!

:eek:

DMC3 had, hands down, the best combat system in any action game IMHO. Yes, it had a learning curve. But your options are comparable to the best fighting games.

People always bitched about the camera in DMC, but it's not an issue. Enemys ALWAYS make noise before any rushing/ranged attack. Learn what those noises are and you can avoid and punish.

BTW, this guy has made some nice combo vids.

http://anti-dentite.org/dmc3/

Ghost and Goblins, difficult pure and simple.
You have two "touches" and you die.
Jumps had to be perfect, aim had to be perfect.
Thankfully NES controllers were bricks and could take abuse.
Any game with "health" is...easy! (j/k)

t3mp said:
DMC3 had, hands down, the best combat system in any action game IMHO. Yes, it had a learning curve. But your options are comparable to the best fighting games.

You haven't played Ninja Gaiden, I see...

Rich Tate said:
I have played RE4, big fan of the series.

ZX I'm totally with you. I remember when I was younger games were designed to be more of a challenge and less of an experience.

Don't get me wrong I love games that give you a great experience over anything, but can we get a half decent Hard setting?!

I really feel that games nowadays are designed easier to keep everyone playing and buying, which I am fine with, just give us who want to be REALLY tested the option.

I find it kind of funny that you point out all these reviews that bitch about the difficulty because right now it makes me want to play it just so I can actually be challenged.

I would also agree on the 10 year window. I love FFVII, but it was a new horizon in terms of FF games. All the puzzles were so dumbed down as you say, an 8 year old could probably figure them out in minutes.
FFVII had puzzles? Damn, I gotta rebuy the game :D

Anyone frustrated by the Mega Man Zero series? Goddamnit :(

I liked God of War better...when it was Rygar.

Terpfen said:
You haven't played Ninja Gaiden, I see...

I've played both (and wrote the Prima guide on Ninja Gaiden) and I can safely say that, thanks to the camera (in regular or Black), DMC3 is, overall, a better experience.

Of course, that's just my opinion... ;)

ECM said:
I've played both (and wrote the Prima guide on Ninja Gaiden) and I can safely say that, thanks to the camera (in regular or Black), DMC3 is, overall, a better experience.

I don't get the few complaints about NG's camera system. It moves quickly when needed (such as when it tracks Ryu while turning a corner), you can automatically adjust its position, and Ryu will automatically attack the nearest enemy. Meanwhile, DMC3 suffers from Resident Evil syndrome, where you constantly find yourself shooting at off-screen enemies because the camera is pre-positioned to look at some corner. I really don't get it.

Terpfen said:
I don't get the few complaints about NG's camera system. It moves quickly when needed (such as when it tracks Ryu while turning a corner), you can automatically adjust its position, and Ryu will automatically attack the nearest enemy. Meanwhile, DMC3 suffers from Resident Evil syndrome, where you constantly find yourself shooting at off-screen enemies because the camera is pre-positioned to look at some corner. I really don't get it.

...not to mention the fact that with a simple download, Tecmo gave us the ability to control the camera ala Splinter Cell.

Terpfen said:

Kind of like how I don't get that you think NG is a better game than DMC3, I guess.

However, forgetting camera issues, the big killer on NG was that, with one move, you could destroy the entire game--I don't believe that's open to debate (or at least it wasn't when I beat the game in ~8-10 hours the first time through). Which move? I can't recall the precise name (and I'm too lazy to go dig up the manual or guide) but it was the one where you leap into the air and perform a diving slash (which would decapitate many weaker enemies with a pass or two). You can literally spam nearly every non-boss character in the game with it if you're quick enough. That's not exactly what I'd call a deep, compelling, experience and you certainly coulnd't find one ultra move in DMC3 (original, not remixed) that made the game a joke, difficutly-wise.

Or how about the spot in the lava cavern level (again, forget the name) where you could grind out infnite money if you were so inclined (the room with the broken bridge in the middle)...again, not exactly an airtight/skill-oriented play by any stretch...or the spot outside the final castle where you could use the flail to grind out money by killing those fish critters or, well, I think you get the point...

I know what move you're talking about and it is only that effective in Normal mode. In Hard and beyond, it isn't nearly as effective. Criticizing a game because you can spam one move in the lowest difficulty is ridiculous.

ECM said:
However, forgetting camera issues, the big killer on NG was that, with one move, you could destroy the entire game--I don't believe that's open to debate (or at least it wasn't when I beat the game in ~8-10 hours the first time through). Which move? I can't recall the precise name (and I'm too lazy to go dig up the manual or guide) but it was the one where you leap into the air and perform a diving slash (which would decapitate many weaker enemies with a pass or two). You can literally spam nearly every non-boss character in the game with it if you're quick enough.

The Flying Swallow, you mean? Yeah, it was possible to spam that--for a couple of chapters, anyway. Then decapitation became either more difficult than it was worth, or had no effect, and the enemies themselves were strong enough that the move didn't do much to them.

I can't think of a boss that was susceptible to the move, either. They'd either dodge or block, or would flat-out not take any damage from it. As early as the Dynamo fight, Flying Swallow was completely useless.

Or how about the spot in the lava cavern level (again, forget the name) where you could grind out infnite money if you were so inclined (the room with the broken bridge in the middle)...again, not exactly an airtight/skill-oriented play by any stretch...or the spot outside the final castle where you could use the flail to grind out money by killing those fish critters or, well, I think you get the point...

Of course, the beauty of the game is that both spots you've described are well near the end of the game--meaning that even if you filled up your inventory with restorative items, upgraded every weapon, and bought everthing that Muramasa offers, you'd STILL need to have a measure of skill to handle the fights along the way, not to mention the final battles. You can't exactly spam Flying Swallow on Spirit Doku, the Phantom Fish, the Emperor, or the Fiend-mutated Tairon Guards.

DMC3 did have a far better story than Ninja Gaiden, though.

*ok I Dont Know If U Guys Know This But They Just Released A New Version Of Devil May Cry 3 For $20 And Has Added Easier Difficulty Levels And A New Character You Can Play As

H3d Case said:
*ok I Dont Know If U Guys Know This But They Just Released A New Version Of Devil May Cry 3 For $20 And Has Added Easier Difficulty Levels And A New Character You Can Play As

Why Did You Capatalize Every First Letter In Your Post? :D

I guess I need to fire up DMC3:SE... I think it's in the car...

If you play DMC, you have to take it slow, and not get frustrated. It's like playing 3rd Strike...

I went out and bought DMC3 because of this thread. Its the first DMC game I've played but I love it.

Gnu314 said:
I went out and bought DMC3 because of this thread. Its the first DMC game I've played but I love it.

Inadvertent guerrilla marketing?

neg, I was just looking for a challenging game... and that movie they showed motivated me.

Gnu314 said:

Go pick up the first one. It rules. Its old enough now, you can probably find it in the $5 bargin bit at EB. Skip the 2nd one, its junk, but you owe it to yourself to play the first game.

Back