Am I the only one?

Cmustang87

Supreme [H]ardness
I love RTS's when I play them, but I just completely suck.

I have been playing Warzone 2100 out of pure nostalgic value, and it brought back an itch to play or try some RTS games. Tried company of heroes demo, completely failed the first mission.

Anyone else like RTS, but just blow at them? :mad::confused:

Nah, I'm the same way. I love playing them but I completely suck horribly at them.

Let's see, i've tried:

1. Company of Heroes
2. Dawn of War series
3. Empire: Total War
4. C&C 4

I sucked at all of them and lost interest! Any other games that I could try out? Maybe it's an ADD thing and it becomes increasingly difficult to micromanage when more stuff gets opened up to ya?

C&C
StarCraft

love em, suck at em.

Let's see, i've tried:

1. Company of Heroes
2. Dawn of War series
3. Empire: Total War
4. C&C 4

I sucked at all of them and lost interest! Any other games that I could try out? Maybe it's an ADD thing and it becomes increasingly difficult to micromanage when more stuff gets opened up to ya?

That isn't even out yet :p

hehe im the same way, im ok against computers but have no chance against human players.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not horrible...but I'm not that good either.

One time me and a buddy were playing Company of Heroes and we started capping the map pretty quickly. We thought we were going to win the match because the opposing team wasn't advancing and capping much at all. About 20 minutes in to the match I saw a wave of American Engineers coming toward my base. This was a wave of about 60+ engineers. Needless to say 60+ engineeers burnt down and demo charged my base in a matter of 2 minutes. All I could do was laugh my ass off as I watched. IIt was just brilliant on the other teams part.

I just had this same conversation with my roommate the other night. We were talking about how badly we want to play StarCraft 2 but I had to mention how bittersweet it will probably be because while the single-player mode will rock the multi-player mode will be the same shit as it always is and you'll get your ass handed to you and just feel embarrassed for sucking so hard. And to even try to become good it's almost like a job where you just have to endure the painful sucking and learn all of the repetitious tactics people use. It's been like that with almost any RTS that I've even remotely considered trying online.

Me... I admit that I cheated with trainers in C&C3 in the later half of the single player campaign.

And yeah, in the previous C&C Generals and Zero Hour, I did not finish the campaign for those special generals (or something like that) because I couldn't go far, lol.

I prefer skirmish though. Single player campaign is just too damn tough for me

Love starcraft.

Absolutely suck at it though. The bar is raised too high in that game, lol.

Love starcraft.

Absolutely suck at it though. The bar is raised too high in that game, lol.
So true. At one point before I got passably-decent, I was used at lan parties to give the winning side a handicap. You know you're not very good at that point :)

If a RTS doesn't have pause and command then I hate them. If they have pause and command then they are ok. Age of Empires 3 has the ability to do pause and command but the developers decided we needed a huge PAUSE window in the way when you try to use it to it is basically useless. I really don't understand why they did that when you can pause the game and issue commands still.

I love games that I suck at. It drive me to play the more and get better.

RTS games are too long per round for me, and there's way too many variables on what contributes to a round win, especially with multiple people. For this reason I get bored before I get good enough to compete even amongst average players.

An FPS game I can play a round in 20 minutes or so and that short replay time allows you to pick up why you're doing badly.

I'm not stupid, i understand all the basic military strategy like flanking, using your units to the best of their ability, balancing your squad, ambushes etc, I can just never pull it off correctly, it always feels like the enemy has some massive advantage.

World in Conflict I got on better with not only because it's an amazingly well built PC game but also theres no economy in multiplayer you just spend credits on troops and credits rebuild, you can concentrait on fighting and that makes it a lot more fun.

When I played starcraft or empire of ages and spent like an hour building up all my stuff only to get killed off it literally makes me want to cry. I'm not even frustrated i just get really really sad and I remember wanting to cry everytime that I lost... needless to say I don't play them that much.

I recommend trying out SC. Play through the first 3 campaigns and if you like it get Brood War and play the rest. Warcraft 3 is also pretty decent.

My friend and I were pretty good when we played starcraft. That was the first game I started playing online. I used to play C&C but... yeah for some reason there was a point I never was able to pass. I was just really bad playing it.

I'm pretty horrible at RTS. I bought the Starcraft battle chest but never really got into it.

Yea I'm fairly terrible at them too lol. I do enjoy playing them, though.

I enjoy playing them to mess around with the comps/alliances/tech etc. (many hours were wasted in such a manner on AOEII, lol). However, I have yet to beat another player in an RTS, and am the bane of my team in matches. :(

ya i really like starcraft and wc3 but im terrible at them, especially multiplayer. I could never quite finish the campaigns without cheats but I managed to get to the last mission in wc3.

I love RTS, but I also suck bad at them. When playing over LAN with several friends and allied, I like to function as a resource gatherer for my allies rather than participate in fighting. I'm also a nut for high-end defense and security. Absolutely hate offense. :(

So many problems in common in this thread...

I'd consider myself to be pretty "meh" at RTS games, but I generally enjoy playing them.

I love some RTS's, and while not super at them I am average and enjoy it. I dont mind loosing as long as its not a complete rape :D

Im also part of the group that loves RTS but isnt very good at them. I play Starcraft quite a bit back then as a Zerg player. Was never very good at micro and multitasking so I could never move from being decent to good.

I bought Red Alert 3 quite a while ago on sale but haven't played it yet. I think I'll install it now. Looks pretty complicated though with air-to-water-to-land vehicles. I need things simple :)

i suck at every RTS except C&Cs/Red Alerts for some reason. Suck at Warcraft/starcraft/supreme commander/etc/etc. But i always hold my own on the C&Cs..

but i do enjoy them all.

Yeah I suck badly at RTS in general too. I usually just like to build a massive army and defend my base with whatever units i have until i have a ridiculously large army then I go and crush the enemy in like 30 seconds but that's just single player of course. I always get sabataged or get my units stolen or something when I play multiplayer stuff like that totally throws me off.

At one point I was good enough to win a Red Alert tournament - by the skin of my teeth - I was sweating and shaking by the time the match ended. Earned a video card.

RTS's are all about the clicks per minute. You need to have the ability to do the math needed to keep your income and expenses balanced on the fly while maintaining multiple battles. You need to have the ability to move units around quickly without having to search for them.

I don't have the ability to do that for long. Definitely nowhere near the abilities of the Starcraft experts out there.

This doesn't stop me from enjoying the games though...or challenging someone even if I get my butt kicked.

When I played starcraft or empire of ages and spent like an hour building up all my stuff only to get killed off it literally makes me want to cry. I'm not even frustrated i just get really really sad and I remember wanting to cry everytime that I lost... needless to say I don't play them that much.

The 1st time I played the starcraft stage where you had to survive for 30 min. or something, got everything set, backups lined up -- I think it was the 3rd wave, got wiped out because of poor planning (I think it was more like dumb planning on my part)...that was some of the most frustrating things I've gone through...and yeah, it took me forever to finish the game and the expansion.

it doesn't seem like a half-bad idea to use this or a similar thread for all you self-proclaimed "crappy" RTS players to get in games with eachother and do some matchmaking. Provided you're into the MP but simply can't play against the level of players you're likely to find online, it's not a half bad idea.

Or hell, go two on one versus a halfway decent opponents. That generally makes for a challenge for both sides (though it can depend).

As for RTS games, I don't suck at them, but there are very few that really appeal to me, but I play them often and am fairly good at them.

it doesn't seem like a half-bad idea to use this or a similar thread for all you self-proclaimed "crappy" RTS players to get in games with eachother and do some matchmaking. Provided you're into the MP but simply can't play against the level of players you're likely to find online, it's not a half bad idea.

Or hell, go two on one versus a halfway decent opponents. That generally makes for a challenge for both sides (though it can depend).

As for RTS games, I don't suck at them, but there are very few that really appeal to me, but I play them often and am fairly good at them.

I've gone through so many rounds of 2v1, 3v2, 3v1 in so many different games like WC2, Age of Empries, Starcraft, and... just WOW...

This game just dawned on me and I remember how impossible it was. I was probably around 14 or 15 years old. I had to call a friend over to try and beat the first couple missions for me just so I could "see the game".

Kingdomer Under Fire: A War of Heroes. It took an RTS campaign and made your hero into an RPG dungeon crawler, It could have been fun... but piss on me was it impossible.

Excluding DotA, which while technically speaking is an RTS is practically speaking it's own genre, I suck at RTS games.

Me... I admit that I cheated with trainers in C&C3 in the later half of the single player campaign.

And yeah, in the previous C&C Generals and Zero Hour, I did not finish the campaign for those special generals (or something like that) because I couldn't go far, lol.

I prefer skirmish though. Single player campaign is just too damn tough for me

Those special generals in C&C:G and ZH were battles of attrition. I had to restart and restart and constantly save to figure out when they would do their scripted moves and had to constantly keep their super weapons down and out.

I love playing them, but yeah, I suck too. Playing against others is way more fun than the PC. Red Alert 3 had some computer AI that was ridiculous to play against. We always had to gang up on them.

I have the same problem. RTS games are so fun until I try to play against real people and then I just get my ass handed to me. WC3 was pretty fun with all the mod maps, but I could never play vanilla. If you have a couple friends to team up with it's fun to turn the ai on hard and try to survive. At least when you lose that way you don't feel so bad.

I am definintiley in this boat as well. I love rts's, the whole genre speaks to me, but i simply can't talk back!!!. RTS's are frustratingly difficult, and a 1v1 fight in an fps is soo drawn out, that if you lose, it's the worst feeling ever. It is as if the last 20 minutes of mining resources for that army that you thought was unstoppable was a complete waste of time. Also micro managing is the quickest way to get a heart attack.

That's one reason I stopped playing C&C. I was okay at it initially, but after getting my base handed to me several times in a row, I decided I would rather pause and command than have at it on the fly. And than I realized that pausing to command goes against the whole 'REAL TIME' in RTS. So I stopped altogether, and now just play turn based where I kick butt.

Back