am I the only one that cant stand a controller?

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
I have been thinking about getting an xbox360 for a while. IMO we have seen the end of pc exclusives and I am really not as interested in comps as I used to be. anyway I have tried using xbox360 controller in several games and just cannot get the hang of it. the controller is okay for games like Assassins Creed but any game that requires shooting I cant hit shit. how do you console people actually do it? :(

I have been thinking about getting an xbox360 for a while. IMO we have seen the end of pc exclusives and I am really not as interested in comps as I used to be. anyway I have tried using xbox360 controller in several games and just cannot get the hang of it. the controller is okay for games like Assassins Creed but any game that requires shooting I cant hit shit. how do you console people actually do it? :(

It's all practice.

Console games usually ask PC gamers the same question... they find the mouse/keyboard layout unintuitive. After using both for shooters, I've concluded that kb/m is *the* way to go for any FPS game, and that the controller is generally better for third person shooters (though that's usually only b/c the devs built the game for console and did a bad job porting).

I can only use controllers for driving, platformers (mario) and fighting games on PC and Consoles. I just can't use it for FPS based games, drives me up the wall how inaccurate it is.

I've always played console games all my life so I'm used to using controllers.. I guess it just takes some practice and it also depends on the game. You can change sensitivity in most games to help you out.

If I had to choose between the 2 i'd probably pick a good mouse/keyboard because it's much more accurate aiming with a mouse :p

Im not really interested in the PS3 but doesnt it let you use a kb/mouse? why does microsoft not allow it for the 360 because I would have bought one tonight if they did.

I read from someone on here about using a controller in their left hand (for movement, jumping, reload, etc) and using their right hand with the mouse. I really think that with the proper "controller" in your left hand, combined with a good mouse with lots of buttons (G9, etc), you would have the best setup for most games. Similar to the wii controller but with more buttons on it.

Maybe have it shaped like an old school bike handle with the finger grooves, with a button for each finger (or two for each, so 8 total) with a d-pad on top for wasd movement. Logitech will probalby come out with something similar in a year lol.

People who think they can play FPS games competitively with a controller are noobs. Duh.

The console gamers who question us PC gamers are just wrong. I tell them this, and then they get mad. Then they watch what a PC gamer can do with a mouse and keyboard. Ask them to aim at a PIXEL or even a group of 4 pixels. Can they do it within 1 second? (Show me... I'd like to see that level of skill) - BUT, I bet they could learn to do this (with significantly higher consistency at least) with a mouse.

For other types of games... the controller can be better than KB/M. It becomes a matter of preference for the most part. I can use controllers, but NOT for FPS games. I would win 10/10 matches against myself kb/m vs controller.

I dont think wasd is the most comfortable though for long sessions (or the side of your thumb for hitting the space bar), however, using anything other than the mouse for aiming is not even a choice (for me at least).

I cant play consoles because I cant use controllers. After enough time I get 'OK' with them, but they are never as accurate for me, and context sensitive buttons throw me off.

Button A does X in mode B
Button A does Y in mode C
In mode D Button A exits the game

Argh

agreed. I personally like the ps3 controller better for some reason - seems a little smoother and less clunky than the 360 from the few games I've played. Also, there's supposed to be a way to use mouse/kb on ps3, but I haven't tried that yet.

For any game that doesn't require you to aim and shoot at something specific, the console controler works ok - platforming, hack&slash, and driving all work as well or better, but when you start trying to aim, there's just nothing that beats a mouse.

I read from someone on here about using a controller in their left hand (for movement, jumping, reload, etc) and using their right hand with the mouse. I really think that with the proper "controller" in your left hand, combined with a good mouse with lots of buttons (G9, etc), you would have the best setup for most games. Similar to the wii controller but with more buttons on it.

Maybe have it shaped like an old school bike handle with the finger grooves, with a button for each finger (or two for each, so 8 total) with a d-pad on top for wasd movement. Logitech will probalby come out with something similar in a year lol.

This has sort-of been done before. Took me forever to find this link, 'cause I couldn't remember the name of this company - pretty sure they must be out of business now, for a good reason - these things were impossible to use correctly.

There are also a few devices made to replace the KB for the left hand - a good joystick might actually be the best idea, but I'll just stick with my keyboard.

I'm the opposite... I can't use a keyboard/mouse for FPS games as I just can't move around very well with the keyboard. I find myself searching for the correct keys to move my character and regularly hit the wrong key. With a thumb-stick on the 360 controller, I don't have this issue.

I guess that it's all what you're used to. I grew up playing consoles, so I'm used to it and better with them.

The only circumstance i've found controllers to be better is when you require analogue movement, games like splinter cell on the PC where sneaking is important isn't as intuative, but then again for me using the scroll wheel to alter your movement speed was actually a bit more precise.

Ultimately getting controllers for the PC is no big deal they can use the best of both worlds, where as kb/m support for the consoles is pretty bad still, so PC wins out again.

FragFX for the PS3? If so, even the mouse function is not comparable to a computer mouse (at least for the first version). It is still better than using an analog stick for aiming for the most part. Very slow movements of the mouse are not registered so that gets annoying fast.

I'm the opposite... I can't use a keyboard/mouse for FPS games as I just can't move around very well with the keyboard. I find myself searching for the correct keys to move my character and regularly hit the wrong key. With a thumb-stick on the 360 controller, I don't have this issue.

But you could still use a thumbstick to move, and a mouse to AIM. I think too many people get caught up on the "keyboard/mouse" thing and forget that the important part is the mouse. The mouse, as a pointing device, has no rival that I'm aware of. They keyboard is just a bunch of buttons. I saw a guy playing counter-strike with a joystick in his left hand(flight-game PC joystick, that is) and a mouse in his right; Dude kicked ass, too.

Put it this way; Do you use a mouse to point at things on your desktop? Then you can use a mouse to point at zombie faces.

it just takes practice, like anything else.

I've always been a PC guy, but have owned many consoles in the past. Until I got my 360, I hadn't used a controller for FPS's in a LONG time. After a few frustrating weeks of playing COD4, I quickly got the hang of it again.

It's all in the technique... you have to be gentler with a controller than you do with a mouse, otherwise you'll just be overshooting everything. I still prefer a KB/M any day of the week, but controllers can be deadly accurate as well. Don't underestimate someone who's good with one.

Really depends on the game. I can play FPS/TPS with both, but I prefer Keyboard/Mouse. Easier aim, more accurate and you can turn fast or slow easily.

Platforms... Fighters.. Action (DMC/NGB) and such... I prefer controllers. The buttons are spaced so that its easily in reach of your fingers. It might be a bit limiited sometimes, but its better than having too many buttons and not remembering which one was which.

No, you aren't the only one. Thats why I don't play any FPS on consoles for that sole reason alone. For everything else though they're great.

What, someone saying that Nintendo was thinking ahead when designing the Wii controls? Blasphemous!!! :p

I have a 360, and I've REALLY tried, but I'm not very good with my thumbs. For some things I do OK but I'll never be as good with a controller as I am with a mouse and kb. I bought the 360 specifically for Mass Effect, but if I had known it would come out for the PC within a year I would not have bothered. I went through the whole game twice on each platform, and I enjoyed the PC version a lot more.

What, someone saying that Nintendo was thinking ahead when designing the Wii controls? Blasphemous!!! :p

Indeed. Using the Wii blaster(not the pistol) is great.

A mouse is still more precise, but I'd argue that the Wii setup is more *fun* ;)

For FPS I hate controllers. As far as sidescrollers and old school RPG's go though I prefer controllers.

What are you guys talking about. To me there is no such thing as a real fps on a console. I use to be good at a controller, but after I picked up a m/kb, I couldn't let go.

I have a 360, and I've REALLY tried, but I'm not very good with my thumbs. For some things I do OK but I'll never be as good with a controller as I am with a mouse and kb. I bought the 360 specifically for Mass Effect, but if I had known it would come out for the PC within a year I would not have bothered. I went through the whole game twice on each platform, and I enjoyed the PC version a lot more.

oddly enough, I wish the PC version had 360 controller support. I enjoy kicking back with titles like that, especially since it's not really FPS (or you don't need to be real accurate at least)... KB and mouse works though

But you could still use a thumbstick to move, and a mouse to AIM. I think too many people get caught up on the "keyboard/mouse" thing and forget that the important part is the mouse. The mouse, as a pointing device, has no rival that I'm aware of. They keyboard is just a bunch of buttons. I saw a guy playing counter-strike with a joystick in his left hand(flight-game PC joystick, that is) and a mouse in his right; Dude kicked ass, too.

Put it this way; Do you use a mouse to point at things on your desktop? Then you can use a mouse to point at zombie faces.
But with a console, I don't have to do anything extra to install another device... It just works. I know some people like keyboard and mouse, I don't.

Currently, I've got one game on the PC and I play it because it uses my Xbox 360 controller natively (Crysis). I do have C&C (ten year pack) and still play Red Alert every now and again. That's the only type of game I really like to use a mouse with.

okay I played Crysis for a while and it was really odd. I wasnt even shooting close to the enemies but they were still dying. it took me a while to realize that when I started shooting in the general direction that the game clearly helped me lock on. if it wasnt for that built in assistance I would not have made it 5 seconds into a firefight.

I may eventually get used to it but it feels so cheap compared to the real aiming a mouse can do. I certainly appreciate my kb/mouse setup much more than I used to. lol

Gotta agree with most here... after my 2600 died, I haven't used a controller since... Wow.. did I just say that.. jeez I'm old :)

the kb/m may be more accurate and have more control over the game (more buttons) but i find myself not missing fps on pc (cs:s mostly) even though i loved it. the controller is much more comfortable to use over a long period of time, and with some practice and some openminded-ness, you realize that console games are made for controllers, meaning you need less accuracy to enjoy them.

it's obviously all a matter of taste. personally i like shooters and action/platformers on console, and my rpgs on pc.

the kb/m may be more accurate and have more control over the game (more buttons) but i find myself not missing fps on pc (cs:s mostly) even though i loved it. the controller is much more comfortable to use over a long period of time, and with some practice and some openminded-ness, you realize that console games are made for controllers, meaning you need less accuracy to enjoy them.

it's obviously all a matter of taste. personally i like shooters and action/platformers on console, and my rpgs on pc.
but it feels so unrewarding having it basically aim for you when you just shoot in the general direction. at the same time if it didnt help me aim I couldnt hit shit. the controller just kills the shooter experience for me. for Assassins creed its fine but if I cant find any other games then I guess I will just return to the mouse/kb setup.

I agree with what a lot of OP are saying here....

Controllers are great for some games - driving games, fighting games, 3rd person shooters, etc.

But, they absolutely suck ass for FPSers. I played Halo against my nephew when he brought over his XBox over. I felt like my character was moving like a slug in molasses.... it was pathetic:(. No substitute for a mouse and keyboard IMHO.

I resisted in adpating quite a bit when I first bought my 360 3 years ago, especially with shooters. The thought I could not get out of my head was, "If I only had a keyboard and mouse, I could own everyone!"

Nowadays, I don't let that bother me anymore. I don't have the time be as good at shooters as I was in my early 20s. I'm good enough at the controller for casual multiplayer games and definitely for singleplayer campaigns.

I like controllers mostly , but when it comes to FPS's/RTS's, keyboard and mouse will always reign supreme.

Has anyone been able to convert a die-hard console fanboy? I've been talking to a friend and he WILL NOT budge! He even says controllers are better for FPS and RTS! He won't play any games with me because of it.

Has anyone been able to convert a die-hard console fanboy? I've been talking to a friend and he WILL NOT budge! He even says controllers are better for FPS and RTS! He won't play any games with me because of it.

Wow...I couldn't even imagine playing a RTS on a controller haha

Took me about a year and Call of Duty 4 to get used to my xbox360 controller. The trick when first starting is to NOT to expect to have the same precision as a mouse and you have to change up your style of play. This means don't expect to be able to walk and aim with great precision as a mouse. Plus, you are going to get owned until you are comfortable with the controller.

I can tell you that some games are harder to aim on the 360 than others. CoD4 feels the best when aiming, while Gears of War feels sluggish. Halo 3 is a bit difficult for me too, but not as bad as Gears. So, I say start with the CoD series.

In terms of using the controller:
1) When aiming, tap on the analog stick instead of leaving your thumb on it. You may have to adjust the sensitivity up/down a notch depending on the game.
2) Once you get your crosshair to the about the level of your target, STRAFE instead of relying solely on the right analog stick to get your crosshair on target. (watch youtube videos of people playing halo3 or cod4 on the 360 to get what I'm saying)
3) Like I said, your going to have to switch up your style of play on consoles vs. the PC. Learn the limits of controllers. Sniping while moving is harder on a controller than with a mouse. For CoD4 on consoles more people run around and get a little closer to get a kill, as opposed to the PC where everyone can more easily kill from a distance.
4) As you get better on the controller, you can start doing SOME things you used to be able to do with a mouse, like circle strafe or getting headshots :).

4) As you get better on the controller, you can start doing SOME things you used to be able to do with a mouse, like circle strafe or getting headshots :).

But rocket jumping,crouch jump,crouch sliding and strafe jumping will still be things of the past :p

I usually dislike playing games with controllers/game pads. The only type of games to be played with a pad are Mario/Zelda type of platform games, fighting games and maybe driving games, but for those I would prefer a real wheel. RTS and FPS games cannot be played with a controller.

Can't stand controllers for FPS(except maybe Halo) and i i couldn't imagine using a controller for a MMO game, but for everything else i can use and controller for.

I always feel old trying to use the controllers on the newer consoles. I was OK with the Xbox, but anything newer I'm just clumsy. I can see practice would help, but why would I ever want to play an FPS on anything but a KB/M? :) The RPG's look more fun on the consoles though.

Don't forget that when playing online, everyone else has the same disadvantage with a controller. There will always be those that are really good, but also those that are more casual players.

That's why I use the XIM360. Completely customizable and far better than any of the other options out there, World At War or Modern Warfare is almost identical to playing on the PC.

Back