am I the only one that cant stand a controller?

I have to toss in my 2¢ on this one as I am a long time console hater due to the poor controllers.
I have gamed since Pong, long before I even had an Atari 2600. With that said I have always felt the weakest link for the console was the controller. Uncomfortable and down right painful is the best way to describe them. KB/Mouse has always been my weapon of choice.

This last Christmas my 16 year old daughter said the only thing she wanted was an Xbox 360 with Guitar Hero. OK, I got it for her. Being the geek that I am I just had to play with it. I have to say that the Xbox 360 controller has to be the most comfortable I have ever used. Is it as acurate as a mouse for aiming in FPS? No, but for casual gaming, good enough. Last night my wife and I played 18 holes on Tiger Woods. Very enjoyable. More so than when I have played it on the PC.

I find it mind boggling that there are people in this world who question the superiority of the mouse in any sort of aiming game.

i cant stand it either, thats the reason that i never bought metal gear series, resistance, fallout, RE5, Halo, etc etc

i know im missing out a lot but my friends have the games, i play it for like 5 minutes and the controls just drive me nuts

I find it mind boggling that there are people in this world who question the superiority of the mouse in any sort of aiming game.

" we don't use the mouse and keyboard to play games... that is for sissies who cry to their mommies"

http://www.derfaust.com/clanxl.htm ....:D

while not a member of that clan, I have been using PXL's modified and original since '99. Works great for me. I noticed a 50% or more better KR when I switched over from KB/M. Also, if anyone remembers OverToad iirc he was undefeated (US) UT one on one champ and used the PXL....

I might have to see Steveo about setting one up for my 360 :) http://assassi.ning.com/

Last edited:
How did this turn into another kbm vs controller thread? From my understanding, the OP was thinking about getting a 360 and wanted tips on getting used to a controller, not why a kbm is better than a controller.

Last edited:
I couldn't get used to using a controller on the 360, so that's why I picked up a XIM360 and have been using KB/M ever since.

" we don't use the mouse and keyboard to play games... that is for sissies who cry to their mommies"

http://www.derfaust.com/clanxl.htm ....:D

while not a member of that clan, I have been using PXL's modified and original since '99. Works great for me. I noticed a 50% or more better KR when I switched over from KB/M. Also, if anyone remembers OverToad iirc he was undefeated (US) UT one on one champ and used the PXL....

I might have to see Steveo about setting one up for my 360 :) http://assassi.ning.com/

That actually looks pretty nice, but with a 360(or ps3, except for maybe with UT3?) won't you still be limited to whatever the limits of the analog sticks are. From what I hear, things like the FragFX or devices that let you use a keyboard/mouse are better than an analog stick, but still not quite like using a mouse on PC. I'd like to get my hands on one of them to give it a try.

Before I started getting into PC Gaming, I was a lot into console gaming. I use to do just fine with a controller to play FPS games....but since playing on the computer more, I can't stand controllers for FPS. I tried playing my old Unreal Tournament game on my PS2....and it's just horrible.

I can't shoot anything with a controller. I've given up since it's so dang frustrating trying get better.

I have a 360, and I've REALLY tried, but I'm not very good with my thumbs. For some things I do OK but I'll never be as good with a controller as I am with a mouse and kb. I bought the 360 specifically for Mass Effect, but if I had known it would come out for the PC within a year I would not have bothered. I went through the whole game twice on each platform, and I enjoyed the PC version a lot more.

This is one reason why you should never buy a console for just one game.

I swore off controllers for fps type games .. or any shooter type games in general .. nothing could replace my keyboard and mouse ..but , as stated , it's just a matter of practice and developing different muscles and the control of them in your hands and pretty soon your poppen' off fast accurate sniper shots that amaze even yourself

get a game like Battlefield:Bad Company or similar and just start playing against all those snotty 11 year olds out there ..you'll start improving and getting more and more comfortable after each satisfying head shot ..it's very rewarding :p

..very frustrating at first tho :mad:

Am I the only one who can function on both console and PC? I have COD4 on 360 and PC and am decent in both although I do prefer 360 controller for FPS.

Might just be me but if I spend too much time on console then I see myself sucking in PC games. On the other hand if I spend too much time on PC games then when I come back to console, I have to retrain myself. I guess I just have a balance that I like to maintain...

That's why I cheat using the XIM360. Completely customizable and far better than any of the other options out there, World At War or Modern Warfare is almost identical to playing on the PC.

fixed for you :p

This is one reason why you should never buy a console for just one game.

I had several things in mind when I bought the XBox 360, My son had had one for over a year and it looked fun. I had heard about the netflix streaming movie thing, and there were several other games due to come out that year that looked promising. I got the Elite 2 days before its official launch, and I thought it was supposed to be a limited production item. I have several games, but the only ones I really likes were Mass Effect and Overlord. When I first played Overlord I laughed so hard my ribs hurt. I grew up on a farm, and I really don't like sheep (they can die just because they feel like it). When you send your minions after them it's awesome. Anyway Mass Effect was the tipping point, but not the sole reason.

For gaming I use key+mouse or my Logitech 3D ForceFeedback Joystick...controllers just don't cut it for me...or the games I play.

World At War or Modern Warfare is almost identical to playing on the PC.

I would REALLY like to play against xbox 360 players in cod4 if they ever make it crossplatform, imaging a 12yr old playing on "fixed" graphics settings with a shitty controller versus a decent player who uses a properly tweaked cfg, ( cg_fov 80, com_maxfps 125, r_lodgidiscale 4 r_lodbiasskinned 4 r_picmip_bump 3 r_dlightlimit 0 cl_maxpackets 100 etc ) and a quality keyboard/mouse combo, that would be priceless :p

I still despise the keyboard. The mouse is superior for aiming, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that they have so few buttons. They expect us to be able to hit 75,000 keys with our left hand yet most of the decent gaming mice have only a handful of buttons. Why not a button for every finger, two thumb triggers and a wheel?
IMO, it's laughable how gamepads have advanced so much, but KB/M's have really been static other than higher DPI's and often unsupported LCD's.

I still despise the keyboard. The mouse is superior for aiming, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that they have so few buttons. They expect us to be able to hit 75,000 keys with our left hand yet most of the decent gaming mice have only a handful of buttons. Why not a button for every finger, two thumb triggers and a wheel?
IMO, it's laughable how gamepads have advanced so much, but KB/M's have really been static other than higher DPI's and often unsupported LCD's.

You can't figure out how to setup your keys, so they suit you style? :eek:

Please put down the PC, they are cleary not for you.

Gamepads are more or less a standard, where with mice you have more variation. In the case of the Dualshock controller, it hasn't evolved for almost 15 years now... Not everyone plays with a gaming mouse that has additional buttons, and even some people don't even have a scroll wheel, but I'm sure most people do by now unless they are using an ancient mouse (or a mac :eek:). If there were extra buttons added to the mouse, then the game would have to add support for them although I don't think that it would be too difficult.

The only genre of games where I feel a controller is superior is Sports games. Also 2d games suck on the keyboard but we don't have to worry about that anymore.

You can't figure out how to setup your keys, so they suit you style? :eek:

Please put down the PC, they are cleary not for you.

I've been playing PC games for 20 years, I can set them up so they work, but we're still all moving back and forth using a typewriter pad. Just because it works doesn't mean it's good. It certainly wasn't designed with gaming in mind. It's something everyone just got used to because it was the only option.

I find it absolutely bizzare that PC games require you to utilize your left had for hitting 15 buttons, but there isn't even an option for a mouse with more buttons. It's like your right hand isn't even being properly utilizied. MS's directinput has room for 15 additional mouse buttons...why doesn't someone actually create a mouse with more than a few? It certainly can't take that much more programming to add "mouse button 5-10" as inputs. That's fine that some people don't want more buttons...but how about the option of more? I remember when people thought the 3rd button on the Genesis controller was one too many.

PC gaming with the KB/M will never get any better just because whenever anyone brings up any flaws in it, there are 50,000 people that spring out of the woodwork that refuse to ever accept that the KB/M has any flaws.

I would REALLY like to play against xbox 360 players in cod4 if they ever make it crossplatform, imaging a 12yr old playing on "fixed" graphics settings with a shitty controller versus a decent player who uses a properly tweaked cfg, ( cg_fov 80, com_maxfps 125, r_lodgidiscale 4 r_lodbiasskinned 4 r_picmip_bump 3 r_dlightlimit 0 cl_maxpackets 100 etc ) and a quality keyboard/mouse combo, that would be priceless :p
COD WaW supports the Xbox controller natively... You're probably already playing someone with a controller. Some people are just better at a controller. It's more of a preference, but I'm FAR better on a controller than keybaord.

I struggle with controllers, it feels foreign to me. Games that require one analogue stick to point in the right direction and the other to move are the worst. I'm a keyboard and mouse man, always will be.

I struggle with controllers, it feels foreign to me. Games that require one analogue stick to point in the right directions and the other to move are the worst. I'm a keyboard and mouse man, always will be.
yeah I just find myself spinning in circles while trying to look around or aim. you can usually tell when somebody is using a controller because when they look around it has an unnatural look to it.

I've tried controllers in shooters and done fine with them. Though they are way too slow for my taste and not nearly as accurate. I refuse to use controllers when a keyboard and mouse is available, and if the shooter doesn't support the keyboard and mouse then that's a red flag right there the game sucks.

I struggle with controllers, it feels foreign to me. Games that require one analogue stick to point in the right direction and the other to move are the worst. I'm a keyboard and mouse man, always will be.

you know the concept is still the basically the same? left hand moves, right hand looks

I don't understand. I play both and like both for different reasons. I game with whatever is available. I'm better with a mouse, but I'm good with a controller. I'm sure if I played all the time with a controller, I'd get better with it too.

A good kb/m player will absolutely OWN a good thumbstick player 90% of the time....end of story. A good mouse tweaked to the user's needs can provide FAR greater pinpoint accuracy than ANY stick controller.

I have converted 2 of my friends from PS3 shooters to pc, and they are flabbergasted at how much better their aim is now...

A good kb/m player will absolutely OWN a good thumbstick player 90% of the time....end of story. A good mouse tweaked to the user's needs can provide FAR greater pinpoint accuracy than ANY stick controller.

I have converted 2 of my friends from PS3 shooters to pc, and they are flabbergasted at how much better their aim is now...

who cares if it's controller vs controller or mouse vs mouse? it's the same playing field. I dunno too much focus on the TOOL rather than simply having fun or adapting.

I find it absolutely bizzare that PC games require you to utilize your left had for hitting 15 buttons, but there isn't even an option for a mouse with more buttons. It's like your right hand isn't even being properly utilizied.

Your right hand is for aiming.

More than that, having all those buttons under your left hand is an *advantage*. I've got movement plus 17ish other easy-access keys under my left hand. Any joypad I've used pales in comparison to that, and that doesn't include the handful of buttons under my *right* hand.

MS's directinput has room for 15 additional mouse buttons...why doesn't someone actually create a mouse with more than a few? It certainly can't take that much more programming to add "mouse button 5-10" as inputs. That's fine that some people don't want more buttons...but how about the option of more? I remember when people thought the 3rd button on the Genesis controller was one too many.

You're welcome to spearhead the initiative. I'd never bother with a 13-button mouse, though. I don't know about you, but my right hand is typically occupied in an FPS.

PC gaming with the KB/M will never get any better just because whenever anyone brings up any flaws in it, there are 50,000 people that spring out of the woodwork that refuse to ever accept that the KB/M has any flaws.

Except that all those 50,000 people have nothing to do with manufacturing mice, keyboards, or gamepads. So if you've got such a brilliant plan to revolutionize control schemes on the PC, enact it.

I think part of the problem with having this discussion now is that most FPS are very slow compared to what they used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1dicLmPsc

Watch for the mid-air rocket at 14 seconds in. Sorry, but that kind-of gameplay just isn't possible with thumbsticks.

who cares if it's controller vs controller or mouse vs mouse? it's the same playing field. I dunno too much focus on the TOOL rather than simply having fun or adapting.

I mean if you had a skilled player with a mouse, and a skilled player with a stick, heads up, same game....the stick player is gonna get slammed.

You're missing my point. Someone good enough with a controller shouldn't have a problem doing that. I would do a MUCH better job attempting it with a controller than a KB/M. ;)

You're missing my point. Someone good enough with a controller shouldn't have a problem doing that. I would do a MUCH better job attempting it with a controller than a KB/M. ;)

Nope...I can guarantee the ONLY way that could happen with a stick is about 99% luck....:p

Back