Am I the only one? Hate games with a lot of dialogue

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Does anyone else hate games with a lot of dialogue ? Like cut scenes for example.

That is why I like Battlefield 1, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 so much. Very little or no dialogue. Yes the characters say stuff but you don't have to listen to it if you don't want to.

It depends on the game. I loved Mass Effect's dialogue, same with the Batman games, Dead Space and of course Max Payne. If the story is good, the dialogue adds to it. I'm playing Wolfenstein 2 right now and the more dialogue scenes, the less I'm liking it. The story is fucking stupid and gets worse with every cut scene. So yeah if the story is good then the cut scenes and dialogue really add to the enjoyment and experience of the game. If the story is shit, then they're just in the way.

Thanks!

What I am really asking does anyone have a list out there with these types of games ? Games without a lot of dialogue (Almost no cut scenes) ?

Yes

But seriously it depends on the quality of the VO and the writing. I definitely hate dialogue in a game if I have to read it.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I'm pretty much the same. I want to play games, not watch games. Even things like RPGs, I prefer simple "Save the Princess" stories, where I just focus on the actual game.

Yes

But seriously it depends on the quality of the VO and the writing. I definitely hate dialogue in a game if I have to read it.

This. I'm playing through Night in the Woods at the moment and while it has some cleverly written dialogue, I can't help but think it would be much better with voice acting.

I hate games that rely on lengthy dialog instead of animation... like almost all RPGs where they just stand there yapping all the damn time, when a simple animation of them expressing an emotion gets to the point 10 times faster and with more emotional impact

especially true if you are required to read every word for some clue or else you can't proceed in the game at all and there's no way to re-read that dialog

Depends if the game does it well. Something like Mass Effect or Witcher 3 that does it right can be great and have the dialogue be a primary source of immersion. Games where it's forced and clunky like the Elder Scrolls games and it just gets in the way of me enjoying the damn game.

Nope, but I am the exact opposite.

I have been enjoying the likes of Finding Paradise and Ace Attorney far more than stories shooters whose goal is merely to out shoot the enemy.

Enjoying the story is part of the game, I don't like games where you simply aimlessly kill stuff, although exceptions exist. Combat isn't everything for me, it can in fact mean nothing without a story.

Thanks!

What I am really asking does anyone have a list out there with these types of games ? Games without a lot of dialogue (Almost no cut scenes) ?

Well, Skyrim I would argue is a game with a lot of dialogue but with no cut-scenes. Does that fit to your specifications OP?

Also, this is a weird question to ask of you since the amount of dialogue that is not perceived as "a lot" would be different for every person on this forum. I wouldn't say Witcher 3 has a "lot" of dialogue because it all has something to do with what you're doing. I would say that perhaps Metal Gear Solid 4 has a lot of dialogue (a metric shit ton actually), but I enjoyed it because I like MGS. So honestly there is no easy answer here.

You could hypothetically play say Metal Gear Solid 5 and just never listen to tapes, and you will easily get 100 hours out of that game with less than 2 hours of that being cut-scenes which was too little imo, especially for a MGS game.

Different strokes for different folks, as always. I prefer dialogue, but I have to be in the mood for an RPG (usually the games with a lot of dialogue). I don't mind reading, but prefer solid VO's. I always prefer reading when there are shitty VO's (i.e. Japanese games where there are high-pitch voice actors). Sometimes, I just prefer no voices, since I read far faster than the characters can talk. The mood is important.

It depends. I like something like System Shock, Prey, BioShock, SOMA etc. where the dialogue happens as you play. (and doesn't stop you from doing what you're doing) I also like games where the dialogue can be sped up or skipped a chunk at a time (Zelda games for example) and best is if there is a good story, but the dialogue is kept fairly concise. What I'm not as into as I was several years back would be games with Final Fantasy scale dialogue. :D There was a time when I enjoyed that, but these days, I don't have nearly the same amount of time to play games, so this just doesn't work for me anymore.

i like both currently playing Bf1 again :) always huge fan since first game. but things like F4, ME series, DA and newly horizon is a type of game i like very much. it's not like overkill on dialogue. far cry 4 was excellent also i think, FC5 soon ! next in line for me i think. and at times i nolife with WoW also, just not now, i got tired and my arm was hurting from playing 24/7 too much..

Does anyone else hate games with a lot of dialogue ? Like cut scenes for example.

That is why I like Battlefield 1, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 so much. Very little or no dialogue. Yes the characters say stuff but you don't have to listen to it if you don't want to.

I hate when I have to read a lot of dialogue, but I do not mind voice dialogue or cut scenes, I prefer them as they give far more character and depth to the story.

I hated Pillars of Eternity dialogue cause it was so deep I couldn't understand wtf was going on untill POE The White March came out the story was alot more fun.
Had the same problem with Tyranny

That's why I hated Borderlands multiplayer. I was like "What the hell did Tina just say?? PLOT, man, Whats the PLOT?"

It helps if you look for a plot in games that have enough of one. Sure Borderlands has a bit, but it's mostly humorous, a bit nonsensical at times, and isn't really supposed to be a deep or realistic experience. I thought the first two were spot on. LOVE Scooter's dialog :D The little actual plot that was in them, was pretty easy to follow I think. (if a bit off the wall)

RAGE (while not multiplayer) is a lot easier to follow, in a more realistic setting (relatively) and makes a bit more sense.

Borderlands 2 had some pretty epic Narrative I like this part with Brick.

What happens when you have too much dialogue in a game it reinforces what the game is which is a big turn off and doesn't keep it open.

Back