Am I screwed o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.

collection

Limp Gawd
well I accidentally plugged my 4 pin motherboard connector to my 4 pin cpu connector and im pretty sure I fried the CPU, so am I screwed? I bought it off newegg, you think they'll notice? I mean, I looked all over the CPU with a magnifying glass, no damage that I could see

well im not sure, I might have fried the CPU, I might have fried the motherboard, but I dont care about the motherboard as much, so I wanna know if ill be able to get away with the RMA saying that it was like DOA

ok so let me get this straight...

you didnt double check your cabling/work

you broke it through improper installation

now you wanna file a fraudulent RMA so you wont have to pony up and cover the cost of your own stupidity yourself?

LAME!!!!

well im not sure, I might have fried th CPU, I might have fried the motherboard, but I dont care about the motherboard as much, so I wanna know if ill be able to get away with the RMA saying that it was like DOA

How about you tell them what really happened and see if they'll let you RMA? Don't try to screw over companies like that please. Thanks.

wait... what 4 pin motherboard connector are you talking about? There's and 8pin on your board. you can plug a 4 pin cpu power to it, but i dont know of any other 4 pin connector that will fit that port? Are you sure you didn't do something else careless?

wait... what 4 pin motherboard connector are you talking about? There's and 8pin on your board. you can plug a 4 pin cpu power to it, but i dont know of any other 4 pin connector that will fit that port? Are you sure you didn't do something else careless?

His PSU has 20+4 ATX power plug
20p4.jpg

His PSU probably has 4 pin CPU power plug.
12v4pin.jpg

He most likely plugged the "+4" plug into where the CPU power plug is meant to go.

I didn't know that COULD be done, but...

The problem is, he must have had to force it.

They are shape-keyed so that you can't do this easily.

The curved/squared edges of the plugs are incongruous

In addition, His PSU probably has 8 Pin 'aux' power plug, but that's completely different looking.

If you look, in detail, at the two plugs (white one, black one) you'll find that their shapes CONFLICT with each other.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cebit2006/Day5/images/asus11.jpg
There is a 4 pin power plug on his board.
No 8 pin that I can find.

collection said:
well im not sure, I might have fried th CPU, I might have fried the motherboard, but I dont care about the motherboard as much, so I wanna know if ill be able to get away with the RMA saying that it was like DOA
Personally, this is why I think half the people on here should NOT be opening their cases, let alone building a system.
:)

Say this with me.RMA's are for the purpose of sending back merchandise that is defective or the incorrect part

RMA's are not for sending back shit you break

Restocking fees on RMA's are for sending back perfectly functional merchandise that you change your mind about

WARRANTIES are for merchandise that, through NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN has failed over time

ok so let me get this straight...

you didnt double check your cabling/work

you broke it through improper installation

now you wanna file a fraudulent RMA so you wont have to pony up and cover the cost of your own stupidity yourself?

LAME!!!!

I agree.

actually, I did not have to force it in, it fit in perfectly. This is my second computer build and my PSU was an OEM, the retail ones I had before actually had some things telling where to do
look, I know I made a mistake, but I just dont have the $$$ to pony up for the parts atm, I already barely shelled out 1.5k to get the parts in the first place, and if I DO wait to get enuff $$$, my RMA period will be void, I do have enough for my MOTHERBOARD though, thats why im not worried bout it, its that the CPU costs $300, and I only have $200 for the mobo
so can you just please tell me if the RMA will work?
:confused: :(

oh THANK you ;_; :eek: :eek: :D :D
I know its not morally right, my mother (im 15) is probably going to not allow me to RMA if I told her it was my fault, so im probably not going to tell her (which aint morally right either)
its just that I dont have a job or nothing so I cant really pay for it,

How about you tell them what really happened and see if they'll let you RMA? Don't try to screw over companies like that please. Thanks.

Yeah I agree - I have RMAed /returned items that wouldn't work with my system, I always was polite and told the truth and it always came out in my favor. You can't beat honesty and a good customer service!

Yeah I agree - I have RMAed /returned items that wouldn't work with my system, I always was polite and told the truth and it always came out in my favor. You can't beat honesty and a good customer service!

yes but I dont want to put $309 on risk, what if they reject my RMA? ;_;
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY :(

I've had to "eat" a mobo/CPU that I fried due to me being well, stupid. I was not familiar with the new-at-the-time 4-pin 12V connector that was on the board. Didn't hook it up, ended up pooching the board/CPU. I was going to RMA the parts, but my good conscious won out -- it was not right to cost the vendor whatever it would have cost to handle a RMA.

You sound like you are pretty much going to try for the RMA. If you really want that RMA, go ahead and bend the reason for the RMA -- the bad karma may or may not follow you, and honestly, I hope at least some does. Sometimes you simply have to admit you pooched something and accept the (monetary) consequences for it.

(Sorry if that all sounded a bit preachy!)

yes but I dont want to put $309 on risk, what if they reject my RMA? ;_;
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY :(

if you wanna play you gotta pay - i just fried my 3rd Athlon XP in the last 3 months this week due to me being a moron about installing my SLK-900A...

you know what i did? bought another chip and sucked it up...

if you dont have the money, go deliver papers, suck up and do housework, wash cars, etc...

it sucks balls but why raise prices for the rest of us?

live and learn my friend...

You're not even sure if it's your CPU, or your motherboard, or something else which has been made defective through your mistake. But you may end up RMA'ing a perfectly working part only to discover that your system is still not functional because you didn't troubleshoot it properly in the first place.

Take it to a computer store, have the techs there test it out and isolate the problem for you. Then you'll be in a better position to decide what to do, hopefully the right thing.

He's 15. He's obviously not old enough to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS ACTIONS.

Man, I wouldn't let my kid mess around with $1,500 hardware unless I was confident in his/her abilities.

well as long as I can get my RMA through. My dad would kill me if he found out I wasted 1.5k for about 3 months (enough to get $$$ for my CPU)

He's 15. He's obviously not old enough to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS ACTIONS.

Man, I wouldn't let my kid mess around with $1,500 hardware unless I was confident in his/her abilities.

in 7th grade (about 12ish) when we ot our first home computer (a 3500 dollar gateway 2000) i was the one to have to show everyone what to do...i broke it, fixed it, hid the fact it happened, etc...then when it came time to upgrade it further with a 200+ dollar pentium overdrive w/MMX and a 200 dollar ram kit and another couple hundred for the HDD...that was my chore too...as much as my dad didnt want me to screw stuff up...like he was gonna be able to pull it off...half the time i had to show him how to type an email! lol...

so are you guys sure newegg wount care?
yes yes, I know its not the morally right thing to do, I feel sick of myself as it is, if I just READ THE DAMN MOTHERBOARD MANUAL A BIT MORE >_<

so are you guys sure newegg wount care?
yes yes, I know its not the morally right thing to do, I feel sick of myself as it is, if I just READ THE DAMN MOTHERBOARD MANUAL A BIT MORE >_<

this is a good thing to do. before i build a computer - i know about 75% of every possible thing to know before the boxes get opened...it's how i became so knowledgeable in the first place...

what you NEED to do as suggested is either find some friends and be VERY CAREFUL and swap parts in/out of another known good machine.....test each part seperately and see what exactly is broke...OR pay a store to do this for you...then you know exactly what broke and what to do after that...

this is a good thing to do. before i build a computer - i know about 75% of every possible thing to know before the boxes get opened...it's how i became so knowledgeable in the first place...

what you NEED to do as suggested is either find some friends and be VERY CAREFUL and swap parts in/out of another known good machine.....test each part seperately and see what exactly is broke...OR pay a store to do this for you...then you know exactly what broke and what to do after that...

well I have no friends like that, and im pretty sure my local computer store will charge me $100+ bucks for the check.
can you answer my question please?

Let me be a bit rude here--

How the **** does a 15-year-old get $1500?

You should NOT RMA it. Newegg will definently care. RMAing something that you BROKE could be considered fraud. Not to mention it is morally wrong on so many levels, it makes me sick to think that you considered it.

Now, on to a more productive thought... Have you made sure the motherboard is dead? I am almost entirely sure that your CPU will probably be okay, so try a new motherboard from a local retailler. If it does not work, your CPU is bad, or you are doing something wrong. Return the new motherboard and buy a new CPU. Test the new CPU in the "broken" motherboard, and if it doesnt work, try a different motherboard. It is unlikely that you fried BOTH the motherboard and CPU. I would guess the motherboard is the only dead thing, CPUs are durable as hell.

I'm also going to take fubar569's advice further and say that you need to know 100% of every possible thing there is to know about the basics of the components, and know EXACTLY how to assemble a computer before even pressing the buy button on Newegg.

well my friend a couple years back fried his motherboard and he RMAed that and newegg sent him a new one, he was the one who advised me to RMA it anyways

Let me be a bit rude here--

How the **** does a 15-year-old get $1500?

You should NOT RMA it. Newegg will definently care. RMAing something that you BROKE could be considered fraud. Not to mention it is morally wrong on so many levels, it makes me sick to think that you considered it.

Now, on to a more productive thought... Have you made sure the motherboard is dead? I am almost entirely sure that your CPU will probably be okay, so try a new motherboard from a local retailler. If it does not work, your CPU is bad, or you are doing something wrong. Return the new motherboard and buy a new CPU. Test the new CPU in the "broken" motherboard, and if it doesnt work, try a different motherboard. It is unlikely that you fried BOTH the motherboard and CPU. I would guess the motherboard is the only dead thing, CPUs are durable as hell.

I'm also going to take fubar569's advice further and say that you need to know 100&#37; of every possible thing there is to know about the basics of the components, and know EXACTLY how to assemble a computer before even pressing the buy button on Newegg.
how are you sure my mobo is dead and not my CPU?
I did not have the +4 pin connector in my mobo because that +4 connector was in my CPU connector
ALSO
do you think I should RMA my mobo? same question, do you think newegg will find out? and dont you think that all the things that were on my MoBo got fried as well if the mobo itself fried?

well I accidentally plugged my 4 pin motherboard connector to my 4 pin cpu connector and im pretty sure I fried the CPU, so am I screwed? I bought it off newegg, you think they'll notice? I mean, I looked all over the CPU with a magnifying glass, no damage that I could see

Did it smoke? Do you smell burnt electronics? Will the system not post?

Did it smoke? Do you smell burnt electronics? Will the system not post?

well the system does not POST and the motherboard will not turn on, and since I did plug the motherboard 4 pin connector in the CPU 4 pin connector, im pretty sure its fried

well the system does not POST and the motherboard will not turn on, and since I did plug the motherboard 4 pin connector in the CPU 4 pin connector, im pretty sure its fried

I'm somewhat confused on what you did exactly...Do you smell burnt electronics?

I did not smell burnt electronics, but the motherboard would not turn on, there was just one green flash and than that was all, no POST, no nothing, also I have learned that to fry a CPU or Motherboard it takes the slightest mPa (or something like that)

I did not smell burnt electronics, but the motherboard would not turn on, there was just one green flash and than that was all, no POST, no nothing, also I have learned that to fry a CPU or Motherboard it takes the slightest mPa (or something like that)

Interesting, I have never seen a green flash before. What I would do is clear the CMOS, try it again. Make sure all your connections are correct and then double check every connection again.

It's possible you have fried it, but you want to try everything before you send it back.

There are so many reasons why it 'would not turn on' you aren't even really sure if ANYTHING is broken. Get help, and see if there is not something else wrong.

With that said, and you decide to RMA the parts YOU BROKE, then I hope Karma bites you hard. Also, there is a newegg rep who posts here on occasion, I hope he sees this.

If you can't afford to replace a broken PC part, then you can't afford PC gaming. Work more somewhere. If not, go buy a PS2 which is cheap these days, as well as the games.

well I pulled on the jumper and put it to pin next to it, waited 20 seconds, put it back, and still no go
so will RMA my Motherboard + CPU work?
okay look, I GET IT, its a unmoral thing to do, I KNOW AND I HAVE ADDRESSED THAT, can you please just answer my questions?

will it work? maybe...the likelyhood of a CPU AND motherboard having to be RMA'd at the same time? it will look funny...it's luck of the draw...

if you RMA it...rest fine in the knowledge you did not do everything you could first and basically committed fraud...and tacked a few bucks onto the next batch of chips for those of us that do actually pay for shit we break...

>_<
OKAY OKAY I GET IT IM DOING A BAD THING ARRRRRRGH!!!!
I just called my local computer store and they said they will charge $35 for the checkup, which is reasonable i guess...
I will do that, but in the mean time, do you think (if they are fried), newegg will care?

>_<
OKAY OKAY I GET IT IM DOING A BAD THING ARRRRRRGH!!!!
I just called my local computer store and they said they will charge $35 for the checkup, which is reasonable i guess...
I will do that, but in the mean time, do you think (if they are fried), newegg will care?

admitting the problem is the first step on the road to recovery ;)

you will have to simply ask newegg, but be polite about it. we cannot answer for them directly...if you play coy...it will probably work...if you slip up, they will nail you...

who's idea was it to give you $1500 to build your own pc?

shit. when i was 15 all i got was a hand me down tandy from god knows when.

edit: had to add the obligatory you better not rma that, because newegg is awesome and forcing them to absorb the cost of your mistake raises prices for me.

!READ THE MANUAL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE MOTHERBOARD!!!

computer 101, no matter how lame or stupid the small manual is read it thoroughly before attempting such an idiot move.

We all make mistakes, I know I have made mine while putting computers together. Call up newegg, tell them what happened and see what they say. OR try the local computer store so they can find out whats fried. Good Luck!

who's idea was it to give you $1500 to build your own pc?

shit. when i was 15 all i got was a hand me down tandy from god knows when.

edit: had to add the obligatory you better not rma that, because newegg is awesome and forcing them to absorb the cost of your mistake raises prices for me.

well my dads because right now im on a crap p4 1.3ghz, 128mb ram piece of ****, and he did it because I have build a PC before
and you really think I should be honest? I am seriously considering that now, but what if they say no? Than I would be fucked with 1.23k of crap that i cant use (monitor cost $263)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back