Am I screwed o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, on to a more productive thought... Have you made sure the motherboard is dead? I am almost entirely sure that your CPU will probably be okay, so try a new motherboard from a local retailler. If it does not work, your CPU is bad, or you are doing something wrong. Return the new motherboard and buy a new CPU. Test the new CPU in the "broken" motherboard, and if it doesnt work, try a different motherboard. It is unlikely that you fried BOTH the motherboard and CPU. I would guess the motherboard is the only dead thing, CPUs are durable as hell.

I agree, I bet anything that its the motherboard that shot. I would test out the motherboard and then the processor. Worst case scenario if both are fried, just spend your $200 on a $100 motherboard and a pentiumD processor and upgrade to a coreduo once you earn the money.

I don't like the whole RMA thing when its clearly your own fault. I've done similar shit before, and it sucks but the best thing to do is just suck it up and take responsibility. Just learn from the experience so you won't make the same mistake twice.

In response to the "how are you sure the motherboard is broken, not the cpu?"

CPUs are incredible. I had an AMD Socket A 2000+ on the floor of my closet. It was walked on every once and a while, had tons of bent pins, was covered in dust, had old nasty thermal paste on it, and sat there for over two years. I got a socket A mobo for practically nothing, spent at least an hour cleaning the CPU and fixing the pins, and I finally stuck it in. It worked great for over a year, then the mobo died. The CPU is still fine.

If you need another example that is a bit more extreme, we had a stack of P4 s478 CPUs (I think they were 2.4GHz Northwoods). They were ABUSED like crazy... We would even throw them at each other. Out of the whole stack, only two had all their pins and was physically intact. One worked (later I found out that the other didnt because a coworker decided to have fun with it and a 9v battery), and its operating in a system that is a test platform for a department that specifically needed a 2.4GHz Northwood to match their customer's system.

Not to mention that almost everyone is overclocking the new C2Ds at least 25%, in some cases up to 50+% overclocks. Processors are beastly, they are VERY hard to kill.

To me the way it sounds is that the motherboard didn't have sufficient power with the 4pim mobo plug not in place. When you cleared the CMOS did you have it correctly setup? OR Are you still trying to fire it up fubar'd?

Look kid as far as most on the board are concerned this is just another form of stealing. If your going to be decietfull you shouldn't ask if it's ok. What if your parents later find out and percieve you as incompetant due to lack of an ability to adjust. This type of behavior might reinforce to them that you are a coward and don't know how to stand up for a basic truth. Just a thought. So once again, why bother posting. Instead maybe someone will buy your open box reject part. Talk to your parents like a man and get treated like one.

OK that was my "Im not afraid of my parents" rant. Hehe. Most all go through it eventually. I know I did. Thanks to my parents for the many ass beatings. :D Good luck.

so what do I do if they say no if I tell them honestly?
BESIDES take it like a man and pay for it yourself

In response to the "how are you sure the motherboard is broken, not the cpu?"

CPUs are incredible. I had an AMD Socket A 2000+ on the floor of my closet. It was walked on every once and a while, had tons of bent pins, was covered in dust, had old nasty thermal paste on it, and sat there for over two years. I got a socket A mobo for practically nothing, spent at least an hour cleaning the CPU and fixing the pins, and I finally stuck it in. It worked great for over a year, then the mobo died. The CPU is still fine.

If you need another example that is a bit more extreme, we had a stack of P4 s478 CPUs (I think they were 2.4GHz Northwoods). They were ABUSED like crazy... We would even throw them at each other. Out of the whole stack, only two had all their pins and was physically intact. One worked (later I found out that the other didnt because a coworker decided to have fun with it and a 9v battery), and its operating in a system that is a test platform for a department that specifically needed a 2.4GHz Northwood to match their customer's system.

Not to mention that almost everyone is overclocking the new C2Ds at least 25%, in some cases up to 50+% overclocks. Processors are beastly, they are VERY hard to kill.

yeah, but none of the pins were burnt, just bent and the C2Ds are so good, most people dont have to up the voltage for them, and even if they do its like only .10

yes but I dont want to put $309 on risk, what if they reject my RMA? ;_;
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY :(

then do whats right, save the money, buy another CPU, be careful of how you install it, and suck it up.

Your not getting any sympathy from alot of people here because you are screwing over the company that rightfully sold you that CPU. Your basically shoplifting.

then do whats right, save the money, buy another CPU, be careful of how you install it, and suck it up.

Your not getting any sympathy from alot of people here because you are screwing over the company that rightfully sold you that CPU. Your basically shoplifting.

yeah, thank you for being so helpful </endsarcasm>
look, I am just a 15 year old kid whos done something wrong that risking a lot of money, doing the "right thing" is easier said than done
you guys seem to miss how old I am every time you post, I am not some one who has a job or in the position to get a job so please, if your not going to help and just give me a speech on how "unmoral" it is, dont. PLEASE

This is getting more complicated than it should be.

Spend the $35 at the repair shop or do this:
1. buy a cheap conroe motherboard off ebay for less than $50
2. test the CPU (the system only needs booting - no OS install)
3. re-sell the cheap motherboard

In the end, you will know which of the mobo or CPU is bad for little money (mostly shipping).
When that's done, you can worry about the next step.

I am willing to bet you the motherboard is dead and not the CPU.

yeah, thank you for being so helpful </endsarcasm>
look, I am just a 15 year old kid whos done something wrong that risking a lot of money, doing the "right thing" is easier said than done
you guys seem to miss how old I am every time you post, I am not some one who has a job or in the position to get a job so please, if your not going to help and just give me a speech on how "unmoral" it is, dont. PLEASE

just because you are 15 does not mean you shouldn't TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

can you understand that?

If you break the law, you go to jail.

If you break a window with a baseball, you get in trouble.

Man up and tell the truth to your father.

Well that's a good start. The way you asked the question says that you are an intelligent person. It's probably a good question to ask too. Not that you want to take on your parents, but you might be demonizing them. At least realise that they are probably more understanding than you think.

At the end of the day It would tell them that you made a mistake and that you are able to correct it. they see that you are upset about it, and at the same time they see you level up on your pc skills. What I'm saying is that it could be an oportunity for growth.

Ok sorry but I felt that the only way to answer that was to go guidance counselor. Maybe just remnants of an echo of a sain voice from my youth. Im ok now.

The fact that you are on this board with these good people, getting pc tips is a compliment to you. Honestly I don't know what you should do. But is there a way to not pay $35 to test your system?

you know whats funny? It was that same friend that fried his cpu a while ago that recommended me this forum
"they'l be helpful, tell you if your RMA will work or not"
yeah, much help you've been, only ONE real answer. How many times have I asked for help and how many times have I been answered with a rant? do tell me, ive lost count
how the fuck does it affect YOU? does me sending my RMA back to newegg gonna make CPU prices go up?
guess what, they make these components for dirt cheap.
please, just one last plea, can some one HELP ME? I dont want a RANT !!!!!!!! PLEASE?!

who cares how old you are? your dad gave you 1500 bucks in good faith, thinking you actually knew what you were doing with the computer components. obviously he was wrong so maybe you should just grow up and tell him that you messed up and maybe you aren't as computer savvy as you think you are.

no one is going to help you. the populous has spoken. we have TOLD you what we think you should do so just shut up, stop posting begging for help and take the advice that has been given to you these last 3 pages. you made a mistake. PAY FOR IT. don't make newegg pay for it. My God....*sigh*

it was an OEM PSU, on my last build, the retail PSU had directions to where I should put stuff
I know it was a stupid mistake ;_;
so tomorrow im going to go to teh PC repair shop and ask them whats wrong, thats $35 outta my pocket, and if all three of my parts are fried, I will probably end up all three, which is $30 more out of my pocket...
anyways, thanks to all the usefull posts on this topic, as in "ya RMA will work", "try reseting CMOS", and more like that, basically all of which that wasnt a rant on how immoral I am >_<

I understand that parents will be infuriated, that's expected, but you have to learn to face up to the problem. Is it really necessary to cheat honest people to cover your own arse?

Plus, if you get a job and deal with it, your parents will be more impressed.

EDIT: I just saw your post, edited mine.

I just saw this, and all I can say is what the fuck is going on?? Look at this.

I said it there, and I'll say it here. Don't expect somebody else to pay for your mistakes.

I'm around the OP's age, I accidentally dunked a ipod nano into a sink of water, I got a job and I got a new one.

Deal with it.

For example, if you bought a car, and then went offroad with it, being more harsh then what it was designed for, do you expect the dealer to take the car back? They might, but was it their fault? No. The dealer loses money, and then to make up for that they jack up prices for everyone else.

Okay, bad analogy, but you get what I'm saying here. I understand that parents will be infuriated, but is it really necessary to cheat honest people to cover your own arse?

Plus, if you get a job and deal with it, your parents will be more impressed.

well, heres the thing that puts the whole in all the rants telling me to admit to my parents or what not: I am a pussy
you can tell me all you want to "suck it up", but that just aint gonna happen :(

well my friend a couple years back fried his motherboard and he RMAed that and newegg sent him a new one, he was the one who advised me to RMA it anyways

Yes, and how old was this friend? Just because he did it, doesn't make it right either.

To answer your question, no, it will not work. You'll end up wasting money on shipping in there and money having it shipped back when Newegg finds you at fault. That shipping money is better spent/saved for a new motherboard or processor, or put towards the $35 check up.

well, heres the thing that puts the whole in all the rants telling me to admit to my parents or what not: I am a pussy
you can tell me all you want to "suck it up", but that just aint gonna happen :(

Well you posted your reply when I was writing mine, so I just edited mine. Jeez. Sorry.

Yes, and how old was this friend? Just because he did it, doesn't make it right either.

To answer your question, no, it will not work. You'll end up wasting money on shipping in there and money having it shipped back when Newegg finds you at fault. That shipping money is better spent/saved for a new motherboard or processor, or put towards the $35 check up.

how is newegg going to know that im at fault?
have you ever heard of a case where newegg rejected the RMA?

That's just sad.
I have three boys, and I really, really hope that they will never be so scared of me that when they fuck something up that they decide that it's better to lie to me than tell me the truth.

I wish I could help you dude, but seeing you say that, I can't give you any advice that will do anything to help you. After all, this is a computer forum.

Regardless, it's wrong to RMA something that you broke, it's that simple.

You FRIED a part. Its easy to tell when a part is fried to the trained eye.

if you look at my original post, I said I looked all over the CPU with a magnifying glass, now I think thats as good or better than a trained eye
when you fry a CPU, can you see physical damage?

A lot of the time yes.

You seem hostile, this is getting near flaming of the OP, let's cool it down and calm ourselves.

Also, let's keep in mind that some reps of some major companies watch these forums. And Newegg has a good relationship with Hardocp, so, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Newegg guys on this forum.

im sorry, but im really getting tired of saying please and getting rants :(
also, I saw no physical damage what so ever, so is that a sign my CPU isnt fried?
cuz I looked all over, even smelled it to some extent

STFU! ALL of you! I am SURE that all you guys that posted on this forum are all truthful holy angels.My ass you all are! I am 100% positive, no I know that you all have always tried to get the deal to work for you and only you! You asses have no and absolutely NO right to tell someone what to do! He just asks a fucking question and what do you do? You gotta preach to him about moral obligations!

Anyway, thank you for that as I return to normal.

So, dude I say just do it. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or not, it's your choice in the end.

Thank you. :(

STFU! ALL of you! I am SURE that all you guys that posted on this forum are all truthful holy angels.My ass you all are! I am 100% positive, no I know that you all have always tried to get the deal to work for you and only you! You asses have no and absolutely NO right to tell someone what to do! He just asks a fucking question and what do you do? You gotta preach to him about moral obligations!

So, dude I say just do it. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or not, it's your choice in the end.

;_; omg and all it took was a 4 pages... THANK YOU :)
anyways... would my CPU SMELL fried if it was fried?

;_; omg and all it took was a 4 pages... THANK YOU :)
anyways... would my CPU SMELL fried if it was fried?

It's ok man I feel your pain, from one teenager to the other.

BTW, in a side note I sure this guy is completely right in getting a better monitor b/c the company said that it's ok. STFU! When you get the opportunity, DO IT! And here is the URL: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1142095

Thank you and good night!

You are a sad person if you cannot guide the youth into a proper path.
If we, who have nothing to gain in him ripping off newegg, cannot be the voice of reason, who will?

He got all the possible advices, but he is whining because no-one wants to support him in doing wrong.

Don't ask others when you want to do wrong... do it and live with it.
Don't ask us to strategize with you in doing wrong... especially when only you will benefit.
We have our own wrongs to deal with.

Collection: First of all, you posted a message while I was editing my message to be less of a jerk's reply , so if you were offended by the original post I made, I am very sorry.

Cpt Falcon: Some, not all of us, have had that issue in the past. I understand your frustration with the moral issue lecture, and if I offended you in any way, I am also very sorry.

Moving on, has the OP inspected motherboard components, such as chips and the like? Or the area around the plug?

Honestly, this is going to be a dead thread soon.

ive inspected all I can, I even jumpstarted my PSU to see if it was working (it was), so all thats left form e to do is waste $35 for some comp shop to check it and RMA the fried parts

yes but I dont want to put $309 on risk, what if they reject my RMA? ;_;
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY :(

That's no excuse to commit felony fraud.

($250 or greater)

okay look, I GET IT, its a unmoral thing to do, I KNOW AND I HAVE ADDRESSED THAT, can you please just answer my questions?
It's not just immoral. It's CRIMINAL. It's AGAINST THE LAW.

collection said:
how does me sending my RMA back to newegg gonna make CPU prices go up?

Lets say, for example that newegg buys 10 processors for $100 a piece.
Total investment = $1,000
If 1 out of 10 processors is defective, that means they have -9- processors for $1,000 [~$112 a piece] .

Assuming newegg, for example, makes a 30&#37; profit, that means, the processor they were GOING to sell for $130 now has to sell for $145.60

Every single extra "failed" processor increases the cost newegg has "average out" against the cost of the inventory.

General rule of thumb is 20% of all hardware is "crap" and they have to take a hit on it. If everyone who screwed up and didn't take responsibility for their own actions did what you want to do, it'd be more like 40%
that means, that the 'failure rate' doubles, which means... PRICES GO UP.

Here's what you do.
Send me your processor.
I own -9- LGA775 boards, one of which cost me only $30.00
If your processor is defective, I will let you know.

yeah im sorry, but im going to start ignoring the morality comments as I have already dealt with them
can you please focus on the issue at hand?

You are a sad person if you cannot guide the youth into a proper path.
If we, who have nothing to gain in him ripping off newegg, cannot be the voice of reason, who will?

He got all the possible advices, but he is whining because no-one wants to support him in doing wrong.

Don't ask others when you want to do wrong... do it and live with it.
Don't ask us to strategize with you in doing wrong... especially when only you will benefit.
We have our own wrongs to deal with.

I am not asking him to commit a wrong(felony.) I am simply stating that what he wants to do is his own decision, NOT everyone else's. That is all...

Transmission terminated...

I am not asking him to commit a wrong(felony.) I am simply stating that what he wants to do is his own decision, NOT everyone else's. That is all...

Transmission terminated...

Yes you are assisting him (a minor) in committing fraud.
Heck, you blatantly told him to do it.
So, that "his own decision" means crap.

So, dude I say just do it. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or not...

In court he can claim peer pressure or what not and you will be booked too.

Yes you are assisting him (a minor) in commit fraud.
Heck, you blatantly told him to do it.
So that "his own decision" means crap.

In court he can claim peer pressure or what not and you will be booked too.

you think newegg will take me to court >_>?
the most they will do is make me pay shipping to send it back.
also, have you ever heard of newegg refusing an RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back