Am I missing the scam here?

Empty boxes?
That is what I suspected but the empty box listings I have seen on Ebay always say somewhere, hidden of course to trick you, but somewhere in the listing that it is just the box. I do not see anything like that here.

Would Etsy allow a completely fraudulent listing to stay on their site? It says 5 sales.

OK, I am a very skeptical person and I have lived my life believing that if something seems too good to be true it always is. So I went to Etsy and started a chat with customer support and I was told this:

Me
I am worried about this listing because it is well below MSRP

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100618...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

The MSRP on EVGA's Site for a FTW3 Ultra is $1799, maybe I am paranoid because there is a worldwide shortage of graphics cards but on Etsy there are quite a few of them listed and many are much cheaper than MSRP. Is it safe to try to buy one? What protection do I have if the listing is a fraud?

Apollo
Upon checking here on my end. This seller is actively selling on our site. If incase, you made an order with this seller and something happens. You will be eligible to open a case.
You can refer to these links below for further details.
https://www.etsy.com/support-and-trust
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013375668-How-to-Open-a-Case-on-Etsy?segment=shopping

Well, against my better judgment I am going to put in an order for one. Wish me luck!

Just as a test I tried to go through the PayPal process because this seller only uses PayPal and PayPal will not let me purchase this item. So there's that. This is very shady. If it is legitimate, maybe they're stolen.

A brand new $1800 retail GPU that currently sells on Ebay for just over $3000... but here for only $693.13 and with free shipping? Why, sure! Of course! :D

Just be prepared to get what you paid for... as it is listed as "handmade". You'll be really lucky if you even get a nicely 3D printed and painted prop for that price... I would expect a box with a half a broken brick in it at best.

Just as a test I tried to go through the PayPal process because this seller only uses PayPal and PayPal will not let me purchase this item. So there's that. This is very shady. If it is legitimate, maybe they're stolen.
Did PayPal provide you with some kind of error message? Or were you simply unable to complete the payment?

Sounds like there is something very wrong with this seller. What security or protections does PayPal use with sellers?

A brand new $1800 retail GPU that currently sells on Ebay for just $3000... but here for only $693.13 and with free shipping? Why, sure! Of course! :D

Just be prepared to get what you paid for... as it is listed as "handmade". You'll be really lucky if you even get a nicely 3D printed and painted prop for that price... I would expect a box with a brick in it at the very best.
The handmade ones are 10% faster, don't you know?

Sounds like there is something very wrong with this seller. What security or protections does PayPal use with sellers?
PayPal is usually horrible to deal with when it comes to disputing anything.

Op do not do this....Unless the seller is Gandhi or Mandela, you WILL be scammed, guaranteed.

A brand new $1800 retail GPU that currently sells on Ebay for just over $3000... but here for only $693.13 and with free shipping? Why, sure! Of course! :D

Just be prepared to get what you paid for... as it is listed as "handmade". You'll be really lucky if you even get a nicely 3D printed and painted prop for that price... I would expect a box with a half a broken brick in it at best.
Having grown up in a "family neighborhood," I'm guessing that the these goods are hot and the seller is a fence for the mob. "These cards just fell off the back of the truck, I tell you."

I just reported this listing to Etsy. I told them this card is going for a third the MSRP price. On EVGA's website it's going for $1869.99 before tax. If this actually a legitimate card and you buy this, you're probably enabling theft and human trafficking. God only knows how they acquired these.

Having grown up in a "family neighborhood," I'm guessing that the these goods are hot and the seller is a fence for the mob. "These cards just fell off the back of the truck, I tell you."
Even if "hot", there is no way a fence would sell them that low. I mean, even fences have half a brain. Now for $1500, just maybe...

I started to order. Even though sold and shipped in the US it's converting USD to EUR for payment...

Ordered 2. Yolo right?

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card
Expected by: Fri, Apr 30

Ordered from
Etsy

Expected by
Fri, Apr 30

Total cost
€1,188.00

Items

Yes, you are starting to make me come to my senses. Check this out, I started looking over Etsy and I found this:

Read my messages on the right, they say this :

I have to ask, why are you asking so little for this item? Does it work?
Thanks
www.etsy.com/listing/993492822/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx3090-oc-white
Sent.
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX3090 oc White Edition 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card Sealed - Ships fast
$750.00
Add to cart
Date:
2 hours ago
2:51pm EDT
Because it is a gift and I don't know anything about games

Now try to find the listing:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/993492...66ff971bc944d6b5e264245:993492822&frs=1&cns=1

You will see this :
Sorry, this item and shop are currently unavailable

I guess people are getting these listings cancelled.

Etsy is full of scams. You see a ton of stuff sold for half the price on ebay or less. When you see those, run. No point tying up your funds for the inevitable dispute. Source: personal experience on etsy.

I started to order. Even though sold and shipped in the US it's converting USD to EUR for payment...

Ordered 2. Yolo right?

Ordered from
Etsy

Expected by
Fri, Apr 30

Total cost
€1,188.00

Items
That’s not yolo that’s just nonsense.

Ordered 2. Yolo right?

Ordered from
Etsy

Expected by
Fri, Apr 30

Total cost
€1,188.00

Items
Did you check the exchange rate? That's another way to scam people.

Yes, you are starting to make me come to my senses. Check this out, I started looking over Etsy and I found this:

Read my messages on the right, they say this :

I have to ask, why are you asking so little for this item? Does it work?
Thanks
www.etsy.com/listing/993492822/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx3090-oc-white
Sent.
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX3090 oc White Edition 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card Sealed - Ships fast
$750.00
Add to cart
Date:
2 hours ago
2:51pm EDT
Because it is a gift and I don't know anything about games

Now try to find the listing:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/993492822/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx3090-oc-white?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=3090+graphics+card&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=a20f983d0be3f78eb66ff971bc944d6b5e264245:993492822&frs=1&cns=1

You will see this :
Sorry, this item and shop are currently unavailable

I guess people are getting these listings cancelled.

It would be interesting if anyone who did order from this Etsy store posted what was in their shipment. Including photos of the board and the other contents of the box.

Did you check the exchange rate? That's another way to scam people.

I'm sure I have some buyer protection like the many other times I've done this. Usually it just gets canceled.

Ordered 2. Yolo right?
You must be joking, there is only 1 available and the listing is still there for 1.

Etsy is full of scams. You see a ton of stuff sold for half the price on ebay or less. When you see those, run. No point tying up your funds for the inevitable dispute. Source: personal experience on etsy.
Kinda surprised anyone here would have to wonder about the legitimacy of these, nevermind wasting time sending messages to scammers or bothering clueless Etsy CSR's that aren't going to know anything, ever. Reporting these listings is also a waste of time, you're bailing the ocean because many of these scam postings are python-scripted and automated.

Any GPU listed below MSRP anywhere right now = waste of time and energy.

Last edited:
I'm sure I have some buyer protection like the many other times I've done this. Usually it just gets canceled.
Unfortunately this is the false assumption the more savvy scammers are counting on. Because by entangling yourself in a transaction thinking "what do I have to lose", you've placed yourself into an arena the scammer wants you: a dispute battle in which he'll leverage his experience exploiting flaws in the dispute system; he'll provide fraudulent documentation to Paypal/eBay/Etsy to attempt to get the dispute decided in his favor. And he'll win often enough for the scam to remain worth his time. There are lower level scammers that won't bother fighting a dispute, but it's a risk to engage with them at all.

And you might think you'll just dispute the charge with your credit card company and it's a slam dunk, but it may not be: your paypal account could get banned; you might get a credit from the CC company for the dispute initially, but then suddenly weeks later it gets reversed because Paypal sent a stack of documents to your CC co. disputing the chargeback - with some of the scammer's fraudulent documents in tow - and it's convincing enough for the CC co.

Don't even entangle yourself is the point, don't touch the fire. The scams have gotten more sophisticated.

Last edited:
Don't even entangle yourself is the point, don't touch the fire. The scams have gotten more sophisticated.
Here is a good one

CeliaOKelleyJewelry
Etsy Seller
‎01-13-2020 06:04 PM

There is a new scam. People sell expensive items in a shop. When someone buys from the 1st shop, the shop buys really cheap items from another shop and demand tracking numbers. They tell that 2nd shop to ship to the original buyer or an address nearby. The 2nd shop ships the tracked item and the original customer gets something they never ordered or someone down the street gets it. The scam shop uses the tracking number to prove deliver of the expensive item. Since it is delivered according to the tracking number the original buyer cannot get refunded.
Good luck.

Here is a good one

CeliaOKelleyJewelry
Etsy Seller

There is a new scam. People sell expensive items in a shop. When someone buys from the 1st shop, the shop buys really cheap items from another shop and demand tracking numbers. They tell that 2nd shop to ship to the original buyer or an address nearby. The 2nd shop ships the tracked item and the original customer gets something they never ordered or someone down the street gets it. The scam shop uses the tracking number to prove deliver of the expensive item. Since it is delivered according to the tracking number the original buyer cannot get refunded.
Good luck.

Yep not that new. DPI hit why you shouldn't even touch these kinds of listings head on.

Kinda surprised anyone here would have to wonder about the legitimacy of these, nevermind wasting time sending messages to scammers or bothering clueless Etsy CSR's that aren't going to know anything, ever. Reporting these listings is also a waste of time, you're bailing the ocean because many of these scam postings are python-scripted and automated.

Any GPU listed below MSRP anywhere right now = waste of time and energy.
I finally came to my senses. I am shocked that I even considered something with so many red flags. I also thought that if worse came to worse that I had buyer protection, which is why I wanted something in writing from Etsy, but as you say why chance it for something this unbelievable.

Here is a good one

CeliaOKelleyJewelry
Etsy Seller

Good luck.
if its that easy why even bother checking with the other store? Sounds like they just need to send something with tracking to do the scam. Is it under 700 or 750 to avoid something? IIRC there was some requirement from sites when it got to a certain $ value.
I don't need to get more paranoid about online purchases.

Seems like a waste of time for a scam to rely on slow motion volatility. Why not just trade the forex markets?
What I meant was that the conversion would be based on some bogus exchange rate such that the amount in euros would be much greater than the amount in dollars.

I once had a camera dealer in Singapore try to pull that stunt on me to show a very low price in US dollars. Fortunately I knew the exchange rate and asked me to let me use the calculator for a minute.

Nothing to do with forex markets, just simple deception.

if its that easy why even bother checking with the other store? Sounds like they just need to send something with tracking to do the scam. Is it under 700 or 750 to avoid something? IIRC there was some requirement from sites when it got to a certain $ value.
I don't need to get more paranoid about online purchases.
Maybe they do not want any paper trail leading back to them.

If you REALLY want to become paranoid read this thread. Several people got burned by that scam.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/I-have-been-scammed-out-of-hundreds/td-p/129090276

Looks like were being spammed in Russian\Ukraine. For only $1200 we can become millionaires.

I would never trust something like this unless the seller was claiming to be a Nigerian prince.
Haven't had one of those since I threatened to notify the FBI in a reply. Probably wouldn't work that well anymore. lol

The time police is very clear about the explicit ban on accruing proceeds from trading goods transferred outside the official timespace continuum.

Edith: I think it's a scam, and I'm not surprised Etsy is not quick to jump on this bandwagon.

Edith2: listing as handmade might be a tax thing

Back