Am I leaving efficiency on the table with this combination?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by viivo, Nov 9, 2017.

1. viivo

viivo Gawd

Corsair hx1000i (Platinum)
    16 GB
    gtx1070
    2.5" SSD, M.2 SSD

When I bought the PSU I had plans for SLI or CF, but I ended up with just the single 1070. I'm wondering if a lower powered PSU would increase efficiency. I'm only using ~350 watts, which as I understand means I'm not in the PSU's most efficient operating range. Is it worth downgrading or would it be only a negligible difference?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia [H]Lite

Nope
    check this

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=394

Your still @~92% efficiency at 350watts which is Excellent!!
    Thats a solid PSU and your not giving up anything(well physical size possibly)

And for future reference I just did some calculating for a similar system looking up my current 10yr old Antec true power trio 550w(it may be 80+?) and my new Seasonic Focus 550w gold. At Idle and load I will gain 7% efficiency not really that big of deal we are talking 5 watts idle and 25watts load.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    viivo likes this.
  3. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

You're giving up efficiency at idle. You are probably idling at the 100 watt range, at which point the PSU probably drops to about 85-88% efficiency.

viivo likes this.
  4. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia [H]Lite

If you look in the link I posted of his psu it shows at 100watt its 87.4% efficient.

But since you seem to know of a magical psu, which one do you suggest? The only ones I have seen are all within a few percent of that @100watts

5. Brian_B

Brian_B Gawd

You may be less efficient at idle, but your also pulling less power overall in the first place, so .... not a big deal in my estimation, unless that's where your planning on running the computer near full time.

viivo likes this.
  6. Dermen

Dermen [H]Lite

I wouldn't worry about, it would take forever to make up the difference of getting a different PSU.

viivo likes this.
  7. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

A few percent is all that separates Gold and Platinum, or Silver and Gold. Phrasing it that way is disengenuous.

The others have it correct. At that low wattage, a few percent difference in efficiency doesn't matter much. However, it is an undeniable truth that the OP is leaving some efficiency on the table by having such an oversized PSU.

8. Speedeu4ia

Speedeu4ia [H]Lite

I meant that at Idle(with the numbers he gave), he is currently pulling down the same efficiency as a Gold 550w psu(87% at 20%load). And at Load with 350watt he is still pulling platinum efficiency with a 550w

and FYI Im at 44 watts draw at the wall at idle with my 7700k, and old HD7850, 1hdd, 1ssd and 4x140mm fans running,

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017