Am I ever going to need any of these !NORTON! products?

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's what I have (this is before I knew about [H]ardForum):

Norton Antivirus - movin' on up to NOD32 (It's like running two OSs at the same time).
Norton Personal Firewall - switchin' to ZoneAlarm (paid or free, what is the difference and is it worth it?)
Norton Utilities (came with SystemWorks) - takin' it out (is Windoctor or any of the other software in it even useful to some people? That was a question not a comment).

This is the current plan unless someone has a better idea for a replacement; all of the software is the 2005 version.

<alert>
Do NOT use Norton products under any circumstances.
</alert>

Seriously, their products suck donkey balls and the only exception is Ghost.

I know that but I was just wondering what people think of the Utilities, is it even useful anymore?

At this point, seriously, I think that there is a free and / or better alternative to everything that Symantec makes for their home line.

The only thing (and I do mean ONLY) that Norton has going for it, is that it rolls all of those tools up into one interface. However, with as poorly coded as it is, as overly-bloated as all their products are, as many resources as Norton hogs to itself (mine, all mine!), even that "benefit" is easily overshadowed.

I am reminded of Douglas Adams when I say that when using Norton products..."'it is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all.'" In other words, - and this is the rock-solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxywide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."

In other words, it seems useful but in fact it is a fruitless program thanks to its "Gollum of resources" principle.

You will never need anymore of those Norton programs...They suck up to much resources. As for your AV program, NOD32 just rocks....

Symantec Memory Blocks is nice, but you will never need any of Symantec's current products. Although Symantec is now the King of Bloat, Memory Blocks (circa 1991) was only 39K. Those were the days.

I think Symantec Virus Scan is a great program, much better than norton AV, especially in a corporate environment.

Is there a product that has as good of anti spam/ad blocking as Norton Internet securit?

To be honest, its the one thing that has prevented me from going to NOD32 and zone alarm or outpost.

I utterly despise banner ads, and i love how notorn pretty much removes them.

any help?

should i just run NOD32, outpost, and the stand alone norton anti spam? will i still be better off then running the NIS suite?

hrm, it seems ZA pro does some add/banner/privacy control. better then nortons anti spam?

clockworks said:
Here's what I have (this is before I knew about [H]ardForum):

Norton Antivirus - movin' on up to NOD32 (It's like running two OSs at the same time).
Good call
clockworks said:
Norton Personal Firewall - switchin' to ZoneAlarm (paid or free, what is the difference and is it worth it?)
Even better call. NPF is a PITA.

clockworks said:
Norton Utilities (came with SystemWorks) - takin' it out (is Windoctor or any of the other software in it even useful to some people? That was a question not a comment).
The only purpose of these programs is to slow your computer down. It's completely worthless IMO.

The only thing I like is the "speed disk" defragger. The rest is sitting on the shelf.

Back