Am I crazy? Went from SLI 1080 to single 1080Ti and it's smoother??

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Sprayingmango, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:52 AM.

1. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango Gawd

So I've been an SLI user for as long as SLI has been a thing. I just switched from SLI 1080s to a single Asus Strix 1080Ti because Microcenter only had one. Games feel smoother now?? For example, in the Division when switching to the map there used to be a slight stutter in the animation. It's gone now and it switches incredibly fast. There are other instances as well where there would be a slight stutter in animations and now it's gone. Wildlands is the same. Am I nuts or is it smoother with a single card???

2. M76

M76 2[H]4U

I've been preaching for years that SLI / crossfire is dead, useless, crap. It hurts in 10 games makes no difference in 5, and shows gains in one.

KG-Prime90, Koween, acefightr and 7 others like this.
  3. silent-circuit

silent-circuit [H]ardForum Junkie

This has been a given for years. SLI / Crossfire introduces microstutter due to different frame render times between cards. What you're describing sounds less like microstutter and more like SLI compatibility issues with those games (neither of which I own to test and give a second opinion). BuT yes -- given similar framerates achieved on a single card and a pair of cards, the single card will almost always feel "smoother."

It is not, however, useless or dead (though dying is not a stretch). In situations were the single fastest card available won't do what you want -- at this point in time, 4K with high settings maintaining 60FPS or higher in many titles -- then it still has a place.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    Koween, John721, Dayaks and 1 other person like this.
  4. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

You probably dropped about a frame of input lag and I find many games can have less stutter with a single card. That's why I won't bother with SLI anymore. I went from a 2x970 to a single 980 Ti and am happy I made that change.

I really hope they develop something better in the future so multiple cards are a viable option again.

Armenius, Dayaks and Sprayingmango like this.
  5. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango Gawd

All of these are good points. I am really shocked at how all of those micro-stutter incidents impacted my gameplay. I guess I just grew to accept it as part of the game, but in reality it was due to SLI. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra horsepower that SLI provides in some instances but to me the smoothness of a single card far outweighs that now. Especially with G-sync...it's so buttery smooth and fast now!!

6. jpouza

jpouza n00bie

Yes, single card is the best way for gamers.
    SLI never more.

Sprayingmango likes this.
  7. Jumpy-B-L

Jumpy-B-L n00bie

Same here. Considering selling 1080s for a 1080Ti. 2nd card rarely gets used and when it does the frame rates are higher but gameplay is not as enjoyable. Didn't have as many issues with 980 SLI.

8. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango Gawd

I was wondering the same thing...I don't recall those stutters with 980Ti SLI. Then again maybe I just didn't pay attention?

9. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 [H]ard|Gawd

For games that fully support SLI baked in, SLI rocks and no single card is going to touch the performance that can be achieved with it.... however, more and more it seems that it is becoming a minoirty/fringe case as good SLI support, much less providing any SLI support at all seems to no longer be a priority for most game developers. If it is even provided, it seems it's just an afterthought now. I used to be a big proponent for SLI, but after going through four different generations of SLI (480, 680, 780Ti, 980Ti) I've watched support for it really erode over time. I finally upgrading to a single Titan XP last year, and to be honest I don't miss all the hassle. With a single card, everything just works. Not having to monkey with settings or profiles, trying to figure out why it isn't enabling, waiting for developers to fix issues, driver hassles, etc. I really don't miss this at all! So long as top tier cards can deliver the GPU performance/grunt I am after, I'll be sticking with single cards going forward.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM
  10. jpmeaney

jpmeaney n00bie

I also have 1080 SLI and I play at 3440x1440. In most games, there is a frame rate increase and it's smooth. One game in particular though that is a stuttering mess is Neverwinter online. Oddly enough, it's supposed to support SLI but my experience with it is best when I disable SLI. With SLI disabled, it's buttery smooth.

I'm seriously considering ditching SLI and going for either a 1080 TI or Titan Xp.

11. pandora's box

pandora's box 2[H]4U

1440P, G-SYNC, High Refresh rate with a single GTX 1080 Ti / Titan Xp = pure gaming bliss.

12. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Not crazy.
    Is one reason I dont use multi card any more.
    I paid the 1080ti tax to get the best experience.

Armenius and Sprayingmango like this.
  13. Pandur

Pandur Limp Gawd

Yeah, I dropped SLi a few generations back due to a similar experience.

14. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 2[H]4U

I did the same thing (2x970s to 980ti...now on 1080ti). Honestly, it was a good change, imo. SLI has too many little quirks that add up to be more annoying than it's worth. I don't think I'll ever go back to multiple cards unless the tech changes significantly.

15. skiddierow

skiddierow Limp Gawd

I went from 660 Ti to 980 SLI a few years ago, now 1080 Ti.

Speaking strictly game performance, in the games that work, 1080 Ti is underwhelming as an upgrade imo.

Division needed custom bits for a long time, and to achieve good smoothness, you have to reign in settings more than it seems from just eyeballing your avg fps. Need medium DoF for inv. menu not to be shit for example.

Wildlands SLI ran like hot garbage in beta.

Not having to mess with bits, other quirks like no scaling after alt-tab, pre-ordering games on dev's empty promise of mgpu support, mediocre but functional when that mgpu update finally drops, high idle clocks, broken AA, no dsr + gsync for like 18 months, GFE didn't work after 3.0, etc. ...

I used to have time to tinker with it, and didn't mind. Not anymore.

From that perspective, 1080 Ti was a massive upgrade.

16. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

I dropped SLI after Kepler. Had a brief stint with 970 SLI before moving to a single GTX Titan X. Again, less raw framerate, but the experience was smoother and less of a hassle. Around the time Maxwell rolled around was when the writing on the wall was clear that SLI and multi GPU support in general was being dropped at an increasing rate. The thing people forget when messing around with compatibility bits is it very often causes anomalies such as missing effects and depth buffer issues. I'm happy I got out when I did.

Nenu and Sprayingmango like this.
  17. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango Gawd

Exactly! This is something that may seem minor at first but really does disrupt the gameplay and experience. More and more I am loving a single card. The tiny stutters and graphical glitches that SLI introduced are just not worth it. With my Asus G-Sync display everything is still buttery smooth and fast. 4K would be a different story and you would probably need the raw horsepower to maintain frames...but for now at 1440P the 1080Ti is just shredding it.

Dayaks and Nenu like this.
  18. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

im planning on selling my sli 1080 for a single 1080ti.

19. HenryBravo

HenryBravo Limp Gawd

This thread should be stickied as a PSA. ;) Former SLI user here.

20. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

That's really it. And high Hz > 4k in my book.

I have a 1080 with a 3440x1440 21:9... I love it. Everything on high/ultra.

In the past I tried tri-fire. I also tried 1080 SLI briefly. Same experience as you.

21. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I went from dual 1080s to dual 1080 Tis. People will debate but there's still a good number of games that support SLI and it's easy enough to disable with games that might cause problems. A single card does what you need then sure that's the best way to go, fastest single card one can afford. But two of those can still provide a nice lift. It just depends.

Sprayingmango and Savoy like this.
  22. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I can tell the difference between driver sets and PC monitor cables people think I'm crazy for that.