Am I crazy to even try this?

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
I sold my gaming rig a few years back, but kept the hard drive. Since then I've just been surfing the web on a budget Celeron PC, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.

So I attempted to run MW2 on this machine just for kicks. The game could actually be played, but the lag was terrible.

If I were to upgrade to 4GB RAM, and install a dedicated graphics card, do you think I could get it the point of being playable? With a Celeron CPU?

The power supply is 250W. I know that's a joke, but there's gotta be some cheap cards that sip power.

Are you crazy for playing Call of Duty? Why yes yes you are. :D

oem pc like Compaq or HP? is so then that is not a "250 watt" psu. its an oem piece of crap that is rated for 12 to 14 amps on the 12v depending on the model. that rating is at 25 C which is unrealistic. you are looking at about 10 amps max in realistic conditions which is only 120 watts and thats where 90% of your power needs to come from. and if pushed too hard it has no protection and could result in damaging your other components.

Don't waste money on such a dinosaur.

How could you possibly know it's a dinosaur with the information provided? Some celerons are just i3s without hyperthreading. An Ivy Bridge duel core Celeron could run Crap of Duty on all highest settings without breaking a sweat.

I sold my gaming rig a few years back, but kept the hard drive. Since then I've just been surfing the web on a budget Celeron PC, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.

So I attempted to run MW2 on this machine just for kicks. The game could actually be played, but the lag was terrible.

If I were to upgrade to 4GB RAM, and install a dedicated graphics card, do you think I could get it the point of being playable? With a Celeron CPU?

The power supply is 250W. I know that's a joke, but there's gotta be some cheap cards that sip power.

I used a similar machine with a asus gt430 card and 4gb ram. it worked fine, it wasnt awesome but it was fun for the occasional COD session.

Update:

I took a risk on $86 for a memory upgrade and a cheap HTPC video card.

MW2 is now completely playable, and the graphics aren't bad at all.

So my "gaming system" is now a slimline Emachines, 4GB RAM, Celeron 450, MSI GeForce 210, and a 220W PSU.

Back