Always on requirements for consoles??

Francis goes on a 4 minute rant ... takes a few deep breaths .... "I'm pissed".

That Francis video does some some substance, though. He makes a few good points.

Last edited:
why are people getting pissed BEFORE they announce that it's a real requirement? its only a rumor at this point. would i be reluctant to buy a console if it has this requirement? maybe, but its a hypothetical situation.

i don't know who the angry fat guy is in the video, but he seems to embody a lot of what i see on [H] lately: which is everyone getting butthurt over stuff that isn't official.

why are people getting pissed BEFORE they announce that it's a real requirement? its only a rumor at this point. would i be reluctant to buy a console if it has this requirement? maybe, but its a hypothetical situation.
This is the time to bitch because Microsoft may still have time to pull it out. But in all honesty, I want them to leave it in so the next XBOX fails horribly. Microsoft as of late has been very arrogant and very anti-customer. I want them to start hurting.
i don't know who the angry fat guy is in the video, but he seems to embody a lot of what i see on [H] lately: which is everyone getting butthurt over stuff that isn't official.
It is a character for a youtube channel. The guy really doesn't act that way.

This is the time to bitch because Microsoft may still have time to pull it out. But in all honesty, I want them to leave it in so the next XBOX fails horribly. Microsoft as of late has been very arrogant and very anti-customer. I want them to start hurting.
It is a character for a youtube channel. The guy really doesn't act that way.

but why is everyone talking like they've already put it in? every time a console comes out people think the Armageddon is coming and complain and magically, nothing that bad happens. why not stop complaining, and if a product does come out with 'deal breaking' features, vote with your wallet and let the company fail? that way you don't get all worked up over nothing, and if one company fails, the others learn from them, win win

but why is everyone talking like they've already put it in? every time a console comes out people think the Armageddon is coming and complain and magically, nothing that bad happens. why not stop complaining, and if a product does come out with 'deal breaking' features, vote with your wallet and let the company fail? that way you don't get all worked up over nothing, and if one company fails, the others learn from them, win win
Your logic, reason and sensibility have no place here. Good day, sir.

You're logic tells me to wait until the government takes away my rights before I let it be known that I want to be free.

you're trying to compare video games to the government...they're not the same. if you treat video games like its as important as politics, you have problems.

you're trying to compare video games to the government...they're not the same. if you treat video games like its as important as politics, you have problems.
It's perfectly legitimate. How about this one:

Customers should wait until after a product is released before telling a company what they want in the product?

Like I said before, I don't care if the product fails if people don't like it, but still don't want Microsoft or any company making garbage products that have no chance to succeed. We all end up paying for it in one way or another. When Bioware spends 150 million dollars making a failed MMO, they have to make up that money by charging you more for their other products. If Microsoft's console fails, they're going to have to make up that money elsewhere.

Last edited:

Its a metaphor. If you can't understand the purpose of a metaphor, you have problems.

This is the time to bitch because Microsoft may still have time to pull it out. But in all honesty, I want them to leave it in so the next XBOX fails horribly.

If they are requiring an always on connection, then it's probably because Sony is also.

Being online provides benefits to the consumer, sure...but making an always-online connection mandatory does NOTHING for the consumer. You can argue the merits of being online, but you can't argue the merits of having it mandatory, because they don't exist.

It's perfectly legitimate. How about this one:

Customers should wait until after a product is released before telling a company what they want in the product?

Like I said before, I don't care if the product fails if people don't like it, but still don't want Microsoft or any company making garbage products that have no chance to succeed. We all end up paying for it in one way or another. When Bioware spends 150 million dollars making a failed MMO, they have to make up that money by charging you more for their other products. If Microsoft's console fails, they're going to have to make up that money elsewhere.

Your first argument only makes sense if the company is soliciting input on what they want. They're not putting out a survey asking "what do you want/what do you think of this" they haven't said a damn thing. not even an announcement of the specs for the new console, or a release date. so while i would not like the idea of an always-connected console, i'll wait until they announce that it'll happen before i get upset.

as for your 2nd argument, that's not necessarily true. they're not charging more money for other games (they're all freaking $60) and almost all games are going the route of DLC and microtransactions regardless of success of other titles. i work in a restaurant, and if we make too much soup one night and it doesn't sell, we don't up the price on other soups another night.

Wii= effectively always on and no one complained. Tie a game to an account on a console and that is why people are MAD.

Back