Always amazed at what Shuttles can do

Xiro

Weaksauce
I have a SN25P running a FX-57 and a newly installed X1900XTX. Was a little worried if the system would be stable with such a beast of a video card in it, but low and behold it's been about 1+ week and the system is rock solid.

In reality, you dont need a huge powersupply unless you have large number of hardrives
and all the expansion slots full on an full ATX. in a full Tower
350 ~ 400w is totally sufficiant.

ATX powersupplies now days with whopping power sizes are overrated to the extreme.

Heh, I'm amazed that the SN25P is still a viable platform. I have one with a San Diego 3700+. I recently put in a X1900XTX but I was thinking about building a new system. I decided to wait to skip this current gen of CPU/Mobos although I may get an X2 to hold me over until then.

May be a silly question but are you planning on overclocking? I'm just curious since I've had little success trying to overclock my PC.

the most common misconception is the PSU and vid cards. there are litterally 10000's of threads asking this when the info is easily found. good 2 hear its all working but the true sacrifice for the SN25 is that shitty onboard sound

G'ßöö said:
the most common misconception is the PSU and vid cards. there are litterally 10000's of threads asking this when the info is easily found. good 2 hear its all working but the true sacrifice for the SN25 is that shitty onboard sound

The sound honestly doesn't sound too bad to me and I have it hooked up to a 7.1 reciever through SPDIF. Then again, I haven't owned a Sound Blaster product in years so I have nothing to compare it to these days. Well that and I have no room (or PCI slots :mad: ) in my Shuttle for anything else. :(

I'd agree but the shuttle = lanability to me and hauling a receiver is not a viable option. mp3's sounded like crap even at 320. the software licks serious (_x_) and games were just tolerable. hardware acceleration in games is a must. COD2 was limp with the onboard, with eax its the most immersive game out there

/.02

G'ßöö said:
I'd agree but the shuttle = lanability to me and hauling a receiver is not a viable option. mp3's sounded like crap even at 320. the software licks serious (_x_) and games were just tolerable. hardware acceleration in games is a must. COD2 was limp with the onboard, with eax its the most immersive game out there

/.02

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with onboard sound until I build my next system (which probably won't be until AMD quad-cores come out). I'm definately not going back to ATX mega-tower cases though so hopefully I'll have room for a sound card in my next build.

G'ßöö said:

/.02

What he said. Couldn't agree more.

satchi said:
In reality, you dont need a huge powersupply unless you have large number of hardrives
and all the expansion slots full on an full ATX. in a full Tower
350 ~ 400w is totally sufficiant.

ATX powersupplies now days with whopping power sizes are overrated to the extreme.
Ya, so not true. Possibly get by with less if running stock, but otherwise no.

Fortunately those SilenX PSUs are rather kickass, except for the missing "t" to make them silent. ;)

G'ßöö said:

/.02

Well, 320kbps MP3 always *will* sound like crap. MP3 format is lossy, and even at high bitrate, it will not sound as good as the original CD or FLAC (or other 'lossless') formats.

FWIW, I've found the 'High Definition' Realtek ALC88x on the ST20G5 to be fully as good as an Audigy 2 for FLAC file playback. As far as hardware acceleration in games...well...can't really speak to that. The Call of Duty 2 *demo* sounded the same to me on an X-Fi (EAX3-hardware) as with the Realtek ALC88x (EAX2-software). And most titles I play (by a vast majority) do not have hardware sound acceleration as an option in the first place.

dderidex said:
Well, 320kbps MP3 always *will* sound like crap. MP3 format is lossy, and even at high bitrate, it will not sound as good as the original CD or FLAC (or other 'lossless') formats.
BAH!

dderidex said:

Yes, you're correct technically, but 320kbps MP3s don't sound like crap to me. It's all relative.

Back