Aluminum and Copper naysayers look here

Status
Not open for further replies.

12 Axes

Limp Gawd
To all those who are scared to mix aluminum and copper in your water cooling loop. Don't be. The following pictures are from a MCW50-t. This block has been in service in one of my computers for the past six years. It has seen four different video cards, three different cpu iterations and three different loop setups.

Not one sign of corrosion. The block has never before been dissasembled. The loop was not even serviced that regularly. Usually only drained on a loop rebuild. The loop was run with approximately 10% anti-freeze 90% distilled water. No other fancy addatives or gimmicks.

I often wonder if those who experienced problems with aluminum in thier loops merely didn't take the nescessary precautions. Or perhaps had a leaky ground in thier system that led to electrons using the water loop as a ground path.

I often wonder if those who experienced problems with aluminum in thier loops merely didn't take the nescessary precautions.

I think its more about the quality (porosity) of the anodization. With a really good job the loop is protected from the alum. but only one micro defect and stuff starts happening. One look at your block show a superior anodisation job. Look in the screwholes, the anodize is still on the sharp parts of the threads even after disassembly.

Most of the "gunk" posts I see seem to be more about additives than corrosion. I am with you, distilled water and a little anitfreeze seem to be the ticket.

There are many who advise against mixing metals but as you point out, quality components and the proper fluid make it much more practical than in the past. What I have seen recently is more of a "there is no need to take on the risk unless there is a compelling reason to mix metals" kind of attitude. The trouble these days is that it would be hard to find such a quality anodization job as manuf try to squeeze cost out of products so it is a risk to mix metals, even plated or anodized. Still, there you have it, with picture even, proof postive that if one takes care it is not nearly as big a deal as some people think. Otherwise all those cars with iron blocks and alum cylinder heads would have the engine exploding any second now.

So an old block from that manufacturer worked and so we should all stop worrying about galvanic corrosion?

Here's a newer block from the same manufacturer. Used with distilled water and coolant conditioner.

swiftech_apogee.jpg

That's why you shouldn't do it because not every block will be as well anodized as you might like.

Sure, you can mix metals and get away with it. You can also mix metals and get burned. Ya know what though ... if you don't mix metals then you can't get galvanic corrosion.

It's like saying you played russian roulette and you came out fine so everyone should stop worrying about it.

Sure, you can mix metals and get away with it. You can also mix metals and get burned. Ya know what though ... if you don't mix metals then you can't get galvanic corrosion.

It's like saying you played russian roulette and you came out fine so everyone should stop worrying about it.

This

Just because a single anodized block doesnt show signs of galvanic corrosion, does not mean that if you look at another block that it will not exhibit galvanic corossion. I Prefer to go All copper and then run distilled with silver as a biocide in loops.

one time i mixed metals and now I have herpes.

Honestly you can get crud for lots of reasons...I've seen certain blocks which seem to be crud magnets. So any reason to lower the percentage chance of crud in your block the better.

one time i mixed metals and now I have herpes.

Honestly you can get crud for lots of reasons...I've seen certain blocks which seem to be crud magnets. So any reason to lower the percentage chance of crud in your block the better.

Shit, dude. I heard that can happen.

Both sides of the argument shown about as well as one could want. If you cannot make up your own mind this thread cannot help you any more. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back