Aluminium water reservoir - need help

embro

n00b
My project will be using chilled water, i get a 6 Celcius water stable out of this system so im wondering about condensation.

Last week at the junk yard i found a ford taurus 94 (i think) air conditioning reservoir made out of aluminium.

It looks like a tube with rounded caps

i drilled the top and removed the liquid left in it.
then cutted the head that will become the cap just like a camping termos, and now that im about to make it, i was wondering about condensation.... what if i put some liquid rubber on it? it need some sort of rubber around it so it will stop condensation since it will sit in the case.

Any ideas?

thanks

Ah well in that case, you may need some insulation after all. How cold is the water? Or rather, how much coler than ambient air temp is it? That will ultimately determine what kind of insulative measures you need to take. The rubber dip may work for small temp differences, or you may need to use something thicker/more insulative if the water is much colder than ambient.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Ah well in that case, you may need some insulation after all. How cold is the water? Or rather, how much coler than ambient air temp is it? That will ultimately determine what kind of insulative measures you need to take. The rubber dip may work for small temp differences, or you may need to use something thicker/more insulative if the water is much colder than ambient.

oops- just read your edit, 6C... You'll probably need something better than a thin coat of rubber. You can buy sheets or tapes of insulating foam at places like Home Depot or Lowes, that might be your easiest bet. I assume here that you want it to look decent too... but if not, you can always wrap it in a towel or cover it in aerosol foam sealant or something. Just get a little creative. And of course, test it before putting it into service.

right now room temps is around 16 Celcius but im wondering for the summer, when it'll be like 25C. My water system can chill the water down to 6C. Insulation was never a problem since all my system were air cooled water system so the best you can acheive is room temp basicly.

Originally posted by embro
right now room temps is around 16 Celcius but im wondering for the summer, when it'll be like 25C. My water system can chill the water down to 6C. Insulation was never a problem since all my system were air cooled water system so the best you can acheive is room temp basicly.

Right, I think you'll need to take some precautions with such a large temp difference. I just got another idea- will those foam beer/pop can jackets fit around it? What are the dimensions of this thing?

Back