Alternatives to EVGA Precision X1 software, simply for fan control?

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
Simple quick question...

Is anyone able to recommend some alternatives to EVGA Precision X1 software, simply for fan control purposes.

I'm able to explain I think why Precision X1 sucks... if necessary.

Ideally, the software will:
  1. start automatically, when Windows 10 loads,
  2. start minimised, and hopefully without even a splash screen,
  3. remember fan control settings, after a restart / shutdown,
  4. allow for fan control based on temperatures.
Precision X1 is able to do #4 but because it doesn't do #1 - #3 above (even when configured to) it requires constant administration of settings.

Isn't EVGA Precision basically just a skin for MSI Afterburner?

I've used MSI Afterburner for a long time. Back when I actually had an EVGA motherboard, I tried EVGA Precision instead, but since it was literally the same except for the skin, I eventually went back to using MSI Afterburner.

MSI Afterburner can do everything you requested - but then again, EVGA precision should have been able to do all of that also.

Thanks for the advice, DrDoU. I'll give it a whirl. Cheers.

It looks like Afterburner does so many other things... but that's cool - I'll just be using it for the fan control functions.
if you want AB just for fan control you can skip installing riva tuner. then just ignore everything but the fan control and youre good to go.

Simple quick question...

Is anyone able to recommend some alternatives to EVGA Precision X1 software, simply for fan control purposes.

Precision X1 is able to do #4 but because it doesn't do #1 - #3 above (even when configured to) it requires constant administration of settings.
If you have an EVGA card then Precision X1 is the only software that will know about the additional temperature sensors and be able to adjust the fans correctly. Otherwise Afterburner is good.

I've never had an issue with Precision saving and using settings, so that's a new one to me. But I still prefer and use Afterburner. If you switch to Afterburner make sure to uninstall X1 first.
Isn't EVGA Precision basically just a skin for MSI Afterburner?

I've used MSI Afterburner for a long time. Back when I actually had an EVGA motherboard, I tried EVGA Precision instead, but since it was literally the same except for the skin, I eventually went back to using MSI Afterburner.

MSI Afterburner can do everything you requested - but then again, EVGA precision should have been able to do all of that also.
X1 and later versions of the EVGA software is no longer based on the Afterburner code.

Precision X1 looks cool, but it has a pretty clumsy interface with minimal explanations of how things work. Even their own videos don't describe the functionality very well. Even once you figure it out, it's lacking in functionality compared to Afterburner.
Yet because I'm on an EVGA card (which is otherwise amazing), I'm kinda stuck with it.

It may be due to familiarity, but whenever I use Precision X1 my card is less stable than simply using afterburner.
I prefer the afterburner interface anyway. (I still use a Classic V3 skin, i prefer it.)

X1 works fine for me. Fan Control plus memory O/C. I don't O/C core due to boost. Just let it boost.

Out of curiosity - how does boost work exactly? Is there a point to OC'ing the core if boost is doing the same thing as needed?
I set my fans to "quiet" as I'd rather not hear them when the card isn't being pushed. Just like with finding instructions for maximizing X1, people are either vague or just skip it altogether.

Out of curiosity - how does boost work exactly? Is there a point to OC'ing the core if boost is doing the same thing as needed?
I set my fans to "quiet" as I'd rather not hear them when the card isn't being pushed. Just like with finding instructions for maximizing X1, people are either vague or just skip it altogether.
Boost is basically a table of steps for clock speed and voltage when certain conditions are met. Doing a straight overclock will shift the entire clock speed portion of the table up. Voltage offset will do the same for core voltage. With Pascal and Turing you can manually adjust the Boost table or use the Auto OC function to theoretically find the optimal settings for your specific environment. You can manually adjust the Boost table on older cards with a BIOS editor.

Simple quick question...

Uhh, Precision does all of those things.

Click on the gear icon, and there's a page in the settings with a checkbox for 1-3. For #4, there's a thing elsewhere in the UI where you can set the fan curve.

That said, to answer your question, the alternative is Afterburner, but at least for Nvidia cards, I think Precision is better.

My EVGA card gave up the ghost so I'm on a Founders Edition card now. Switched over to MSI Afterburner, and finally managed to find a couple decent skins for it.

IMO they need to replace that stock skin and the ones it ships with. So fugly.

Back