Alternative X1900XTX air cooling?

Zero1

Limp Gawd
Hey guys.

Usually when I get stuff like a new CPU, mobo and GPU, I rip out the stock HSF and fit something higher spec. Currently I don't know the state of X1900 coolers. Noise doesn't really bother me (though it would be nice if it could be user controlled), but I'm looking for the best cooling performance I can get with air cooling, since my case is too full to fit watercooling.

Suggestions welcomed please, I know that some of you are avid gamers (more so than myself, I'm sorry to say :p) so I wonder if you guys know about some products I don't

Cheers guys.

Arctic Cooling Accelero X2

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=90 ($33)

this is most likley the best around as far as air and you could go even further with improving the cooling by using Arctic Silver or Ceramique instead of the Arctic Cooling thermal paste.

btw...X1900 stock cooling is very inefficient and leads to high temps, most people who own these cards usually opt for a better air solution such as the one mentioned above.

One vote for VF900-CU. Dropped my X1900XT temperatures over 10c on both Idle and Load. Easy to install and very silent with FanMate.

sam0t said:
One vote for VF900-CU. Dropped my X1900XT temperatures over 10c on both Idle and Load. Easy to install and very silent with FanMate.
We have a winner.... the VF-700-CU works great and is silent so the 900 is another improvement.

Looks like the VF900-CU has the majority so far, which is surprising. I thought it looked pretty puny :p (well at least compared to those whacking great box types that allow the air to channel out of a PCI slot)

Are there no aftermarket coolers for the X1900 that exhaust air out of the case? I actually read somewhere that the Accelero X2 doesn't do much better than the stock cooler, and even if it does, I have a P150 with only two case fans on low speed, I have concerns about any cooler that dumps X1900 heat back into the case (those things run 80-90c under load, right? :()

Sabrewulf165 said:
Are there no aftermarket coolers for the X1900 that exhaust air out of the case? I actually read somewhere that the Accelero X2 doesn't do much better than the stock cooler, and even if it does, I have a P150 with only two case fans on low speed, I have concerns about any cooler that dumps X1900 heat back into the case (those things run 80-90c under load, right? :()

I think your case demands exhaust ducting...if there's such a thing =(

Nevermind, I think I'll be waiting for these before I buy an X1900

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30317

hisceb1.jpg

That's not the same card. The one you linked to uses the reference ATI cooler. The one I linked to is an unreleased product as far as I know, using what appears to be a solid copper sink with an Arctic Cooling style fan/duct.

Lol, the circular fan is at the back of the card (on reference). HIS it's towards the front end of the card.

Seriously people. Think before you post.

Mav451 said:
Lol, the circular fan is at the back of the card (on reference). HIS it's towards the front end of the card.

Seriously people. Think before you post.

omg how could i be so STUPID, sorry i offended you and wasted your precious time clicking that link :rolleyes:

I just dropped a VF900-CU onto my card this past week and it's been outstanding thus far. I'm averaging about 12 C cooler on idle and load.

I have the Sytrin VF1. Got it just to test it out but its been great so far. My X1900XT was getting around 84-85C in oblivion with 100% fan stock cooler (675/775). I now get 65C max load/44C idle and the crossflow fan is quieter than my raptor/big typhoon. Also it costs 37 bux at newegg, i was considering the VF900 as well but i just couldnt really justify the 15 dollars more for it if there were competing solutions that cool just as well and are quiet enough for my needs. The X2, V1-Ultra, and now the VF1 are in my range. I opted for the VF1 just so i could try it out, the crossflow fan and design piqued my interest.

Also, read some horror stories with the VF-900 and X1900s at ocforums. Apparently the X2 is better for X1900s. For 7800/7900 VF900 is fine but for a heat beast like R580s are, im not quite so sure. I dont trust many sites on GPU coolers (i wish hardocp did reviews on more recent gpu coolers :p) because they dont usually set things to really see how well/efficient they are (like testing with the stock HSF at 100% fan or using the hottest video cards to really see how efficient it is at cooling) so i tend to look in forums to see personal tests and reviews.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452425&highlight=VF900

I cant see where the thermalright would fit in my case, looks like the cooler is right over the cpu heatsink area.

Guys, just because a heatsink is small (VF900) doesn't mean that it won't handle the heat! The only thing that bothers me is the pricetag. However, it has so many mounting holes you can mount it on practically any card, so you take it with you and save some dough if they don't change mounting holes and they keep tall objects away from core/mem area.

You can find a review of VF900 and X1900XTX which shows that it can handle the heat!

Do some research before shooting off your mouth guys.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1042948

The opinions of the VF-900 seem to be hit and miss, and the design of the accelero does kind of suck in as much that it blows air down onto the motherboard (from what I can see).

I'm thinking I'll probably get the VF-900, fortunately I can stick some side panel fans in the stacker to help out, but I'm not filled with confidence.

Agent_N said:
Guys, just because a heatsink is small (VF900) doesn't mean that it won't handle the heat! The only thing that bothers me is the pricetag. However, it has so many mounting holes you can mount it on practically any card, so you take it with you and save some dough if they don't change mounting holes and they keep tall objects away from core/mem area.

You can find a review of VF900 and X1900XTX which shows that it can handle the heat!

Do some research before shooting off your mouth guys.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1042948
If you look a little harder you will also find many reports of the VF900 producing lackluster results on the X1900XTX. Right now it seems like there are more "poor" results compared to good ones.

v1!! God, why no one considers the v1 when it is obviously the best is beyond me. Especially considering you can mount 2 80mm fans of any cfm etc. :rolleyes:

The Accelero is a fine cooler. My max temp is 72C and I never hear it. My case temps have risen a whopping 1C so OMG I need to WC! :p

I think the best solution is water cooling using a MazeGPU. I have been told do not use the waterblocks that cover both the GPU and memory because of restrictions in water flow and, if you buy another VC it becomes useless.

I thought there were already *unconfirmed* reports of ATI acknoledging that they accidentally put a hair dyer in the 1900 and that they would be fixing on next revisions?

Having said that...can someone link a Thermalright review with an XTX? all the ones I've seen were using lower end models.

The V1 might not be an option as I plan to fit one of these in my cramped Stacker 830, I could see it maybe being a tight fit or interfering some way.

Hmm, I think it might have to be the VF-900 and put a PCI exhaust fan in like this

Although the Zalman seems to get mixed views, I think it's probably got to be better than the Acellero.

A little off topic, but does anyone have experience with Coolermaster cross flow fans? I was considering one.

Considering how cramped my case is, and that the design doesn't really lend itself to watercooling to begin with, I'm pretty much limited to this. Still, it's a damn sight better than air cooling :)

Back