Alternative way to disable startup apps in Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Software' started by w35t, Apr 4, 2019.

1. w35t

w35t [H]ard|Gawd

So the normal way to disable startup apps is in the task manager, but I have quite a few apps that startup with Windows not on that list. Main one I want to disable on startup is EVGA Precision, but there are others too.

I miss the old way of going run, msconfig, startup tab, and unselecting whatever you want.

I've done some searching but all I can find is the above method. Please haaaalp!

2. ReaperX22

ReaperX22 Gawd

Could try CCleaner? It has the option to enable/disable startup options. I'm not at home to check mine, but I think it lists a few more things than Task Manager?

3. The-Tmann

The-Tmann [H]ardness Supreme

let us know when you check

4. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

I use the Autoruns program. I don't even remember if I ever used msconfig for this.

ChoGGi and GSDragoon like this.
  5. Grimham

Grimham [H]ard|Gawd

If you aren't seeing them in the "Startup" list there's a good chance they are starting as services. Disable them there.

6. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

Windows key -> type in "msconfig".

You should have access to turn on and off what ever.. just make sure to be smart about what you are turning off.

7. Shooter308

Shooter308 Gawd

Like Grimham stated, disabling their services should do the trick.

8. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

if you have a startup folder in your start menu make sure it is empty.

More stubborn entries can also be found in regedit hkey current user \ software\ microsoft \ windows \ currentversion \ run and the same location under Hkey local machine

9. Shooter308

Shooter308 Gawd

I was going to state that too and even though most of us here should be able to navigate the registry and modify it without blowing up the OS, I hesitate to offer that option to just anyone. I've had to repair systems after a user corrupted the registry so bad, that a re-image was the only solution.

termite and Kardonxt like this.
  10. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

11. OliverQueen

OliverQueen [H]Lite

Brings up the System Configuration application but the Startup tab gives a link to Task Manager to disable Start Up tasks there instead in Windows 10.