Alternative to SolidWorks

Neutrino

Gawd
I have a roommate that just received a mechanical engineering degree and he needs some software. The best one for him I understand is SolidWorks but their licensing prices are very steep. So I was wondering if you guys know of some open source alternatives. Basically what Gimp is to Photoshop.

He needs something that has a fully functional 2D drafting package and able to dimension everything and print.

Other features that would be nice to have but not absolutely necessary are: 3D solid modeling and compatibility with IGES and DXF formats.

If you guys cannot think of anything fully open and free maybe you can at least think of something with a cheaper license.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
:)

well i use Solid Edge from UGS here at work. having been trained on Unigraphics in college i find it much easier to use than Solidworks but i don't think its any less expensive.

my only complaint about this program is that it really bogs down when you have stupidly big assemblies (which i work with quite a bit unfortunately). doing anything with those is SLOW! other than that, i'd choose solid edge over solidworks any day.

of course you could always use AutoCAD/inventor ha ha

Back