Alternative to ladder rack for wires.

c0rpt3ch

Weaksauce
I need to run about 50 wires from a 2 post rack over to a server cage. The rack holds the punch down panels and the server cage holds the switches they need to connect to. The total distance is maybe 4 feet. I'm trying to figure out a alternative solution to installing a ladder rack for such a short run. I'd prefer not to just have cables hanging about or strung up with zip ties.

The room has a drop ceiling and about 4' of dead space above that. I had thought about running them up into the ceiling then back down over by the server cage. It's not the ideal solution but I think it would look clean.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Remember that dead space is usually HVAC return so you need plenum rated cable.

Remember that dead space is usually HVAC return so you need plenum rated cable.

Where I'm at, using the area above drop ceilings as a plenum is rare. Easy ways to check:
1. It is clean in the space above drop ceiling
2. no duct connected to air return ducts.
Probably plenum airspace.

The definitive check is check both the flow and return of the HVAC unit. If they both continue into the airspace as ductwork, you should be safe. If one ends at the airspace, it is a plenum.

Safest is to use Plenum rated cable in the airspace, just in case HVAC is ever changed. You could also run non-plenum rated cable in plenum rated conduit

In your case, I might get a pipe and attach it to the two racks, then attach cables to the pipe. If you were really creative you could weld j-hooks to the pipe.

Where I'm at, using the area above drop ceilings as a plenum is rare. Easy ways to check:
1. It is clean in the space above drop ceiling
2. no duct connected to air return ducts.

3. The inner walls of the building also separate the area above the drop ceiling. Just push up a panel near the wall and see if the wall goes all the way up or if it stops. Of course in many commercial buildings the walls won't separate that area... but it's also the easiest thing to check.

you can get narrow sections of ladder rack (like 6" wide), and suspend the ladder rack from the drop ceiling with threaded rod. That would probably be the most "proper" way. Not sure I understand your aversion to using ladder rack.

Back