Alternative to iTunes for organization?

leetpyro

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. I was just wondering if there was any other media player that has the feature of iTunes where it moves everything in your library to a specified folder. This is a feature of iTunes I really love, but iTunes isn't really the best media player, and it kinda sucks when you want to sync playlists and such to anything but an iPod/iPhone. I've tried a bunch of media players but I haven't found the feature in any of them. Maybe I missed it or something, so I'm asking you guys. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried songbird?

I haven't tried songbird, but its getting quite a rep. Anyhow, from my experience I find that itunes is the best at organizing, but songbird could be better.

I like songbird a lot. It's really great with all the addons and such, but I didn't seem to find what I was looking for in there. Perhaps I missed it though, or just don't know where to look. :\

I personally love the simplicity/customization of Foobar2000. For managing my collection though (i.e. naming & tagging) MediaMonkey is just plain sweet. I use MediaMonkey on my server so I can tag everything all neat, and then use Foobar on my laptop

with foobar 2000 file management you can copy your entire library to a specified folder with whatever paths you want. you have to check file management when you install foobar2000 as it doesn't install automatically though, so you may have to reinstall foobar2000.

with foobar 2000 file management you can copy your entire library to a specified folder with whatever paths you want. you have to check file management when you install foobar2000 as it doesn't install automatically though, so you may have to reinstall foobar2000.

Yeah, I know Foobar can do that, but I don't like the file management as much. I tried both and I found MediaMonkey much better for the task. I had a ton of music where the file name was the song name, and it was in a folder named after the CD, but none of the songs were tagged. MediaMonkey made it easy to tag them with all the info and the album art.

Okay thanks for the help guys. I just happened to change the way I store all my music so I probably won't even need a program that does what I asked. Thanks for the help though, I'll be sure to check out MediaMonkey anyway, it sounds pretty good. :)

I like MediaMoneky for general organization... Don't see why you'd need to be moving your stuff often enough as to require a program though (if you're organizing it for the first time it's simple enough to do a file search and move it all to one directory first then have the program have a crack at it for tagging purposes, album/artist-directory creation, etc).

I've never used iTunes on my own system but whenever I've used it elsewhere I've detested the way it handles organization and playlists and just about everything else. Whenever I'm working with a client's computer and I need to back up or restore their iTunes library it just seems like a huge PITA ('specially with larger collections), maybe I've never followed the proper procedure. /shrug

Another vote for MediaMonkey. I switched from iTunes+WMP, and was so happy to be rid of Apple's draconian limitations on everything. MM supports iPod syncing, so I was finally able to give loathsome iTunes the boot. Now if only I can find a sutable replacement for my my iPod...:rolleyes:

I still use Foobar2000 for playback even though I like MediaMonkey for organization, tagging, and file conversion... Foobar2000's not for everyone tho. Never owned an iPod though, but I'll probably get an iPod Touch soon, unless someone else comes up with a WiFi connected media player that's as versatile (the Archos models don't do it for me /shrug).

Back