Alternative to Ikea desks?

brettjrob

Limp Gawd
I'd be all over the Galant or something similar if the nearest Ikea weren't three hours away, and if I didn't drive a Honda Civic. Alas, those are the circumstances I'm faced with, and I'm moving into a new apartment in less than a month.

I'd really like something fairly minimalist and clean, preferably around 60" W and with a protected surface that doesn't chip or stain easily. Price roughly in the range of the Ikea stuff would be nice, though up to $250 shipped is doable. A quick survey of the big retail stores (Wally World, Office Max, Office Depot, Target) didn't turn up anything even close to what I have in mind.

I can't be the only one unfortunate enough not to live in a top 20 metro area to have this predicament, so I ask my fellow BFE residents: what have you done for your desk needs?

I think Ikea does have an online shopping option. Will cost a pretty penny but an option if you can't find the desk you're looking for.

Also what does "BFE" stand for?

That looks pretty good, if it's actual wood and not that pressed fiberboard shit.

EDIT: Nope, it's MDF... ew
I'm looking to stay under $200-250, so I highly doubt wood is going to be practical for me.

Sp33dFr33k, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not the biggest fan of the curved design, but otherwise that looks very much like what I'm after, and with free shipping to boot. Some of the Bush desks look nice too... anyone have experience with those?

I had a similar thread recently when purchasing an Ikea desk. I ended up renting a cargo van from Enterprise, and drove to/from Chicago's Ikea store over a weekend to customize a Galant desk and get the parts back home.

I had a similar thread recently when purchasing an Ikea desk. I ended up renting a cargo van from Enterprise, and drove to/from Chicago's Ikea store over a weekend to customize a Galant desk and get the parts back home.
That's cool; I'm sure a trip to Ikea would be well worth it if my circumstances were a bit different. Unfortunately, I'm a poor grad student who drives a Civic, and I don't think I could justify $50-60 in gas plus a truck rental just to get a desk.

After a bit of searching around, I'm leaning toward the Bush A Series, which I can apparently get for $220 shipped. My ideal desk would be a hair cheaper and come with four legs (for greater access to the wall) rather than the solid back on this model, so I'm still open to suggestions.

After a bit of searching around, I'm leaning toward the Bush A Series, which I can apparently get for $220 shipped. My ideal desk would be a hair cheaper and come with four legs (for greater access to the wall) rather than the solid back on this model, so I'm still open to suggestions.

If the solid back is an issue, then you could drill a doorknob-sized hole in the back for wire routing and management. Then again... once you're comfortable with where the desk is set and arranged, how often do you expect to do further moving and adjustments? (I'm not looking for an answer, but rather just posing a question to ask yourself.)

Back