alternative to Edgewater router for VOIP

tec805

Gawd
VOIP company is suggesting an Edgemarc Edgewater 4550 router for the network, handling ~50 devices max. I had the displeasure of configuring a more expensive model Edgemarc a while ago and it left left a bad taste in my mouth. It was overly complicated for what was required and I feel the same way for this network.

My question is does anyone here have Voice Over IP experience with a particular router in mind?

Yep, 8x8. Haven't been happy with the service so far. Thanks for the link, will give it a look.

I've used both Mikrotiks and OpenWRT boxes (hell, a TP-Link WDR4300 will do that just fine) and they'll do more than fine. Pretty much anything will do fine, you might want to check if you need SIP-proxy functionality or not depending on your phones.
//Danne

I've read the same thing. We are looking at a Sonicwall TZ 105 right now. I haven't played with a SW in years, I remember them being a bit more advanced than generic routers, but the reviews are decent.

Remember that hardware NAT (usually just called hardware acceleration) in most cases breaks SIP so make sure to turn it off unless you want to debug fun issues.
//Danne

Thanks for the tip. The VOIP guys have the list of settings they would like set on the router, I'll just do what they say.

Back