alternative to chaintech av-710 soundcard

millsdh

Limp Gawd
Looking for a replacement to a chaintech av-710 pci sound card. The av-710 used to be a great, inexpensive sound card that was perfect in an old machine running as a HTPC. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should look for now? Just really needs to have optical/coax!

Thanks!

Use HDMI out to your receiver or use onboard sound.

Onboard sound is terrible because its shared with the motherboard so its power is very polluted, probably not a very good onboard sound chip and affected by EMI easily.
The Auzentech X-meridian 2G looks good. I don't know how Auzentech got the rights to the CMI8788 back but this is one good card that allows 32 bit/192khz spdif digital output.

yeah my receiver doesn't like to do audio over hdmi and onboard sound isn't digital. definitely need a sound card... any noticeable difference between a 24 and 32bit digital card?

If he's using optical or coax, moving to a soundcard shouldn't make any difference.

Any cheaper alternatives than the Auzentech X-meridian 2G? The Chaintech AV-710 used to be had for $30 and offered exceptional performance? Is there a sound card market anymore?

what would a spdif header get me? how would i use such a thing? is there a 7.1 version of that card?

Before I answer the above questions, I need to know something first.

What are you connecting the soundcard to? Is this going to a receiver? Computer speakers?

it feeds to a Onkyo's HT-R370 (doesn't do HDMI audio) with a 7.1 speaker/sub system. I've got either an optical or coax available for use.

1) msi k8n neo4 platinum sli
2) msi 845ge-l max

the first has onboard optical sound, but it always seems to crackle/pop and the second doesn't. i've only got one av-710 and need to find something else

It shouldn't crackle/pop especially with the optical output. Have you tried different drivers? (its a Sound Blaster Live 24-bit isn't it?)

Back