Alternative to CCleaner for Win 10?

B

Brodaddy

Title says it all - want to know what people are using out there to clean up old files/registry items

Unless CCleaner is a viable option still

Piriform is one of the best freeware providers on the Internet.

You could also check out IO Bit, but their installers are full of bloat and they install an updater service that you have to manually remove via cmd line if you don't like their stuff.

CCleaner has been updated for Windows 10. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

CCleaner has been updated for Windows 10. Haven't had a problem with it yet.
Any recommendations on what not to clean with it? Including software and I also read shouldn't mess with cleaning registry stuff even though I have done it for the last 10 years without issue to my knowledge.

Thoughts?! Crap cleaned is amazing otherwise!

I leave sessions on chrome so the tabs auto open but otherwise I think I clear the rest and maybe I keep history too

Title says it all - want to know what people are using out there to clean up old files/registry items

Unless CCleaner is a viable option still

What are you reasons for looking for an alternative? Other than simply exploring options? Are you not happy with ccleaner in any way?

Use the built in windows cleanup utility. I have these two tools called Registry Life and Reg Organizer from chemtable and they can clean a lot more from the registry than ccleaner but that makes it more risky too. It never did any damage last time I ran it though. It does have a junk file cleaner too and a registry optimizer but reg optimizers are not needed. I just checked it out because it was free. They have 4 different tools here. Reg Organizer, Soft Organizer, Registry Life, Autorun Organizer

Then there is this portable app too. Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit and this one Disk Cleaner Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Will gladly wait for some reviews from fellow members here never heard of those in my 15 years of being a dork :)

I have CCleaner on three Windows 10 systems and havent had any issues. I will say that I do seem to run it alot less than I used to. I've been lucky, my installs have been great and my systems have never run better. For some reason, I just don't think about running as often as I did with older OS's.

The built-in WIndows cleanup utility does clean certain things (particularly the WinSXS folder) that shouldn't be cleaned by anything else or in any other way, including manually - you should certainly use that.

What are you reasons for looking for an alternative? Other than simply exploring options? Are you not happy with ccleaner in any way?

My main reason is because they released tiered versions - so the free version is gimped. I feel like it used to be a lot more powerful

thanks evilsofa I will use that - didn't know about it.

You can still use CCleaner; an alternative to that is BleachBit which is what I've been using for the last few years because in several tests it's shown to free up more space and clean more than CCleaner.

Back