Alternative to AIM.

jhego

[H]ard|Gawd
I use AIM, but is there a program that's way better than AIM. And i'm talking about direct connect with other AIM members. I tried Trillian b4 and its a really good program but somehow i could not direct connection with another AIM user. Or did that change with the version now? I guess my main point is for a program to use all of the AIM features and more.

Try Trillian 3. Direct Connection certainly works--for me, at least. The Windows version of GAIM is the only AIM-related program I know of where Direct Connect is bugged to hell.

DeadAIM is also a decent one, if you want to try that.

I would usually recommend GAIM, but DC to AIM users with it is not very successful as far as my experience shows.

Trillian is your best bet. Might also want to give MirandaIM a try, but it has been a while since I used it.

I'm using the newest version of Trillian Pro and I haven't experienced any difficulties with any of the connections including AIM.

yup trillian 3 pro

because of the network I'm on, making connections has always been notoriously difficult

trillian 3 has worked flawlessly with every connection I've tried to make, even mac users! :)

trillian 2 however sucked ass and wouldnt connect to anyone or send files :p

I wouldn't switch from AIM, honestly.

I was on the whole trillian bandwagon once, stayed with it for over 2 years.

But, in the end, it just felt to limiting, and I got better performance out of the stand alone programs anyways.

So, in all reality, just stick with AIM...if thre ads are whats bothering you, just go to the version tracker website and and get an older version of aim.

Komataguri said:
So, in all reality, just stick with AIM...if thre ads are whats bothering you, just go to the version tracker website and and get an older version of aim.

That is bad advice. Many older versions of AIM have known security holes and doing as you suggest is just begging to have some script kiddie use said exploits on your machine.

If you really want to use AIM ad-free, there are other safer ways to do so. Google is your friend...

ThomasE66 said:
That is bad advice. Many older versions of AIM have known security holes and doing as you suggest is just begging to have some script kiddie use said exploits on your machine.

If you really want to use AIM ad-free, there are other safer ways to do so. Google is your friend...

Yeah yeah

Shocking revelation, everything has security holes in it. New ones aint no more protected the nthe old, people just ain't found the new ones holes yet.

Thomas is an IT guy and well as annoying as it is to hear his 'parent-like' advice, he is right nonetheless. But I do use older versions of AIM and have had little problems. The only reason to upgrade to the latest AIM is the features (which IMO is very unnecessary). Security holes when it comes to AIM is not a big problem (it's rare). I may be unaware but I believe there is not many good programs that allow you to hack AIM (which is a good thing-- less script kiddies).

Nonetheless, I am somewhat security paranoid, so I use GAIM and my own FTP server if anyone wanted to send me an extra large conversation, picture or file.

As for the ad issue, it has to do with editing/deleting a specific .ocx file in your AIM folder.

-J.

Back