Alright, try # 75.... I really need help installing the SMP

delvryboy

2[H]4U
I've uninstalled/reinstalled/redownloaded for over a week. I've tried to get both versions to work with no luck what-so-ever. I'm about ready to throw in the towel.:(

SMPPOS2.jpg

SMPPOS.jpg

Back to running the graphical client on the sig boxen for now, its just a little annoying because a WU is usually worth less than 100 points.

I think part of it is my lack of vista knowledge..... as much as I like it, I find myself loosing my patience with it rather often.

I think part of it is my lack of vista knowledge..... as much as I like it, I find myself loosing my patience with it rather often.

Don't unleash your patience - or did you mean "lose"?

Anyways - check your access control, that may be the problem.

First of all, did you disable UAC ?

Did you run the command line with the "Run as administrator" ?

Did you put the client files in a different place than Program Files or Users folders ?

First of all, did you disable UAC ?

Did you run the command line with the "Run as administrator" ?

Did you put the client files in a different place than Program Files or Users folders ?

Is there a problem running it in a users folder?
Mine is under Users\myname\folding.
Should I move it?

I had issues running under the users folder.

I moved both SMP instances to C:\F@H\F1 & C:\F@H\F2. This works fine for me.

Just install it in the default program files folder. Disable UAC before you do anything, once you reboot, make sure you're logged in with an account that has administrator rights.

Just install it in the default program files folder. Disable UAC before you do anything, once you reboot, make sure you're logged in with an account that has administrator rights.

With Vista don't install in the default "Program Files" folder.
There is extra security against running prograns from that folder which sometimes clashes with the FAH services.

Also what firewall & anti-virus are you useing.
Sometimes these can also clash with the FAH services.

Luck .............. :D

With Vista don't install in the default "Program Files" folder.
There is extra security against running prograns from that folder which sometimes clashes with the FAH services.

Also what firewall & anti-virus are you useing.
Sometimes these can also clash with the FAH services.

Luck .............. :D

It runs fine from that folder provided you turn off UAC. I've been running it this way as a service for over a year on multiple Vista installs. The main problem is UAC, not the folder it's installed in.

Ok, first thing you must be logged on as the Administrator of the machine. You must have a password on that account as in every time you boot the system you have to enter your password.

Once that part is done go to control panel and double click on User Accounts. Once there you will see a line about UAC or User Access Control, click that and uncheck the check box and close the control panel. Vista will force you to reboot at this time.

As you reboot you will still be asked for your password.

You can install the program where you please, I just put in under the c:\ drive.

From your pictures I see your first problem. You show your host name as PC\CHRIS however in the next picture it shows you probably entered Chris. It won’t like that.

Also your password must be the same password as your log on.

Once installed go back to control panel and re-enable user account control, again, this will force a reboot. Do yourself a favor and drop that security code thing, it’s a major pain.

Leme know if that helped

I had issues running under the users folder.

I moved both SMP instances to C:\F@H\F1 & C:\F@H\F2. This works fine for me.

I did the same thing it works flawlessly for me. Turning off UAC to install the mpi client is the key! Then run F@H with it off, because the config file flags and has issues with UAC turned on.

I did the same thing it works flawlessly for me. Turning off UAC to install the mpi client is the key! Then run F@H with it off, because the config file flags and has issues with UAC turned on.

I really don’t recommend leaving UAC turned off. This is a major part of your security. Install with UAC off then turn it back on. If need be you can right click the .exe file and run it as admin for configuration.;)

I really don’t recommend leaving UAC turned off. This is a major part of your security. Install with UAC off then turn it back on. If need be you can right click the .exe file and run it as admin for configuration.;)

If you really want to leave it enabled, another option is to turn off admin approval mode (AAM), this is the way the default administrator account runs in Server 2008.

If you really want to leave it enabled, another option is to turn off admin approval mode (AAM), this is the way the default administrator account runs in Server 2008.

Good point. The horrible truth is most of us who know better live in the admin account anyway.

Haven't tried Server 2008 yet, maybe one of these days. The depth and ability as well as the stability of Vista 64 really suprised me, but like any OS you have to take the time to learn it.:)

I should have mentioned that after you get the client configured, turn UAC back on and reboot and start up clietn again and walla...

I never disabled UAC myself. The trick is to always open the command prompt with the "Run as administrator" then you have full rights ;)

Back