Already own a 4GB Nano. Received a 60GB Video. Should i exchange for a DS?

ItzCooLz

n00b
Hey guys...

I am a happy owner of an engraved (so i can't return or sell it) 4GB iPod Nano.

For Christmas, I received a new iPod Video 60GB. I am really torn about whether or not I should exchange it for a Nintendo DS and a game. Since the Ipod Video is in my hands already, i would ideally like to keep it (out of courtesy, and it's hard gift to return), so i've been trying to justify keeping both ipods. Here are my thoughts.

1) The unique benefits of the ipod video are: a) 60gb hard drive would be nice if i need to transport large files or backup something b) video functions (but i hear it ends up being used less frequently than expected) c) i can store my entire music collection (~12 GB).

2) As a student entering med school next year, my main usage of ipods primarily consists of studying or exercise. I'm thinking the video could be used for studying and the nano for exercise. However, i use my nano for studying right now, and 4GB has been doing ok thus far (just have to make playlists first).

What should i do? I'd love to keep both ipods, but i would feel horrible with a 400 dollar ipod that i will rarely (or unnecessarily) use when a lot of my friends have neither (or a shuffle).

I think i have narrowed it down to either keeping the Ipod Video or exchanging it and buying a Nintendo DS. If only the DS played video (and i don't want a psp), it would be an easy decision.

Since most of the users here are fans of apple but also have other interests in technology (like myself), I was wondering what you guys would do?

please submit your thoughts, i'm having a REALLY hard time making this decision. I've been thinking about it for about a week now!

Sell the Nano. Some people wont care if it's engraved. I know I wouldn't in the used market.

The iPod video is too cool not to keep, especially once you start putting videos on it, and that it was free.

Agreed. Sell the nano and DEFENITELY get a DS. My DS is the best thing I've had in a long time. WFC MKDS is the best ever.

Sell the nano.

if the nano works for you then yeah trade the ipod video.

Think about the future, are you going to put video on it? Will you use it for video? Thats the question. If not, get rid of it and get the DS. You will get more use out of the DS if that is the case. However, if you will use video, get rid of the Nano on eBay. People are still crazy for em and you will be paid well I assure you. Or put it in the FS/FT forum. Maybe trade it for a DS or use the cash to buy a DS.

Another option is to click this link to find out how to upgrade your Nano to the 200gb model. You'll be the center of attention for like, 10 whole minutes!

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ipod_Nano_200gb_Instructions

haha.. great link. i got a good laugh.

yeah.. it's really tough deciding whether or not i I will use the video features. i'm surprised most people have recommended selling the nano. since it's used and engraved (with my name and phone number, of all things). i think for exercise, the 60GB is not the best option. I think it comes down to either the 60GB video or the DS. MAN! such a tough choice

man... now i'm tempted to keep the video and buy the ds too. haha. must... exercise... self-control

with podzilla you can play videos and doom/heretic/other wad stuff on your nano, give that a look.

keep the video, sell the Nano, keep the cash.

Are you really gonna have time to play a DS when in med school?

Sell the 60GB. You won't watch crap on the tiny screen and if you only have a 12GB music collection the rest of the space is virtually useless.

That's a lot of dough to play with.

Ipod Nano: 4gb of music and study material space, its gunna run out soooon.
Ipod Video: 60gb of music, video, & study material space. Not gunna run out soo soon.

+ when you get bored in med school , and that old prof. is teaching you how to stitch an arm back on youll be able to watch your favorite AquaTeenHungarForce episode and actually learn something.

I would get rid of the nano. The size of the video iPod is probably hardly a concern and all the space can be used for so many other things besides music. I have used my iPods in the past as external hard drives. Plus I have a video now and once you start watching em' you can't stop. :p

ItzCooLz said:
Hey guys...

I am a happy owner of an engraved (so i can't return or sell it) 4GB iPod Nano.

For Christmas, I received a new iPod Video 60GB. I am really torn about whether or not I should exchange it for a Nintendo DS and a game. Since the Ipod Video is in my hands already, i would ideally like to keep it (out of courtesy, and it's hard gift to return), so i've been trying to justify keeping both ipods. Here are my thoughts.

1) The unique benefits of the ipod video are: a) 60gb hard drive would be nice if i need to transport large files or backup something b) video functions (but i hear it ends up being used less frequently than expected) c) i can store my entire music collection (~12 GB).

2) As a student entering med school next year, my main usage of ipods primarily consists of studying or exercise. I'm thinking the video could be used for studying and the nano for exercise. However, i use my nano for studying right now, and 4GB has been doing ok thus far (just have to make playlists first).

What should i do? I'd love to keep both ipods, but i would feel horrible with a 400 dollar ipod that i will rarely (or unnecessarily) use when a lot of my friends have neither (or a shuffle).

I think i have narrowed it down to either keeping the Ipod Video or exchanging it and buying a Nintendo DS. If only the DS played video (and i don't want a psp), it would be an easy decision.

Since most of the users here are fans of apple but also have other interests in technology (like myself), I was wondering what you guys would do?

please submit your thoughts, i'm having a REALLY hard time making this decision. I've been thinking about it for about a week now!
People tried to tell me that i wouldnt use video on my ipod... but guess what? I use it almost 50% for video and the other 50% for my car (i have an ipod connection to my headunit).... TV shows are the BEST for video ipods, i dont have time to watch tv so i get some seasons of dvds that i have missed and watch all my favorite tv shows... great way to keep updated with all the many different series going on.

It was the best investment i have ever made, my 30gb video ipod.

thanks for all your advice!

i ended up just keeping the ipod 60gb. i figured it would be kinda messed up to return a gift for something completely separate (a nintendo ds vs. an ipod).

the hard part is that my friend's car just got broken into, and he got his ipod 20GB 3gen stolen. and here i am, with 2 ipods feeling like a punk. i think we are going to try and pitch in and get him a nano or 30gb.

ItzCooLz said:
thanks for all your advice!

i ended up just keeping the ipod 60gb. i figured it would be kinda messed up to return a gift for something completely separate (a nintendo ds vs. an ipod).

the hard part is that my friend's car just got broken into, and he got his ipod 20GB 3gen stolen. and here i am, with 2 ipods feeling like a punk. i think we are going to try and pitch in and get him a nano or 30gb.

When will people learn not to leave expensive gadgets in their car? Let me guess, it was in plain view too, like sitting in his passenger seat or console. :rolleyes:

Nice choice on keeping it... I don't EVER get rid of gifts, but my conscience owns me. You'll be happier in the long run, especially if your current one breaks. I'd use the 4gb when running/doing stuff outside... and maybe the new one set up to play on some speakers, like a stationary ipod, or use it while studying.

well when people buy you a gift, they usually buy it to make you happy and they want to see u enjoy it. If ur not going to use it and are just keeping it to amuse and trick the giver, then ur not enjoying it and ur defeating the purpose of giving gifts. I would of gotten rid of teh video iPod and got a ds and a m3. it allows for videos to be played on the ds + u would of had some extra cash in ur pockets.

Elmntskater1588 said:
youll be able to watch your favorite AquaTeenHungarForce episode

That's what I have on mine :D

Makes those 4 hour flights go by quickly

thanks for introducing this thread op. I've recently had a nano die in a flood and am thinkin' about whether or not I'd like a video ipod or another mp3 player altogether.

Back