Already have Company of Heroes but I want the steam version :(

GenBanks

Gawd
I really want to have CoH on steam, because every time I have to reinstall it currently I need to download hundreds of megabytes of new stuff after installing the game... Whereas if I had it on steam I could just do a backup of all that data onto a disc and could restore it really easily without redownloading. Also, it's just so much more convenient to have stuff on steam.

What I'm wondering is... Can I buy just the original (without OF) for $19.99 and then log into my account (attached to the CD key from my original purchase) and have access to both CoH and OF without having to buy OF again?

Basically I want access to all the CoH stuff through steam, but I don't want to buy everything again :(

I hope I've made myself clear, sort of hard to explain what I'm trying to do.

I would submit your question to the technical support departments at Relic and Steam. Both are pretty good and will respond to you in 24-48 hours. My guess is you would be able to get online but it wouldn't autodownload patches for you and apply them correctly to your installed version of COH+OF.

You should also be aware that the downloader stores the patches in your My Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\ folder, so that's another way to save them.

The disadvantage to Steam is that COH uses huge data files that must be unpacked to apply their small patches, so every Steam update will take a long time. Still mostly convenient, but something to think about.

What I'm wondering is... Can I buy just the original (without OF) for $19.99 and then log into my account (attached to the CD key from my original purchase) and have access to both CoH and OF without having to buy OF again?
I bought OpFro via Steam and simply had to enter my retail key for CoH and everything was accessible in Steam. I'm assuming you have OpFro via Steam already?

No, I don't have either on steam... I bought Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts retail. However, I want them saved on my steam account. But If you were able to buy OF and active CoH, maybe I can buy CoH (since it's cheaper than OF) and activate both it and OF (using the retail key from when I bought OF retail)...
I wish it were possible just to activate it on steam though :/

No, I don't have either on steam... I bought Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts retail. However, I want them saved on my steam account. But If you were able to buy OF and active CoH, maybe I can buy CoH (since it's cheaper than OF) and activate both it and OF (using the retail key from when I bought OF retail)...
I wish it were possible just to activate it on steam though :/
That sounds like a plan. You can always sell your retail copy of CoH to recoup some (hopefully all) of the cost.

Download all the patches, burn said patches to DVD. Label DVD "COH/OF Patches x.xx". Store in slim jewel case.

Critical thinking FTW.

True... but there are other conveniences to steam besides the backup feature that makes me want to have CoH on there.

Another disadvantage to Steam is that it takes them 24 hours or so to bring the new patch out. If you play every day, this might annoy you.

Such as...?

Wherever I am all I have to do is log into my account have access to all my games. I travel a lot between the UK and the US and it's not practical to put a whole bunch of discs into a suitcase. Eg: Over Christmas we had some relatives over; turns out, most of the family (the dad and the two sons) were into CoH. If their game was installed on steam, it would have been much easier for them just to have spent a day or less downloading the game (we only have a 2mb internet connection).

Losing or damaging the disc (as I have done for many of my older games, like Shogun Total War, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Civ 2 and 3, Diablo) is no longer an issue.

Automatic updating in the background

Keeps track of the amount of time spent playing games played on Steam (which helps if you have lots of steam friends and you want them to know which games you're into)

Anyway, I've solved the issue... Just bought the original for on steam 19.99 and signed into my old account but had access to both games :D

Such as...?

A superfluous overlay thing that is guaranteed to get all over your face when you least want it? Loads of ads, and a new STEAM UPDATES popup window every time you start, which rarely features something other than an ad for some shitty game that never sold when it was first released? A no-dvd feature?

Get with the times, Chaoticon.

I love the steam overlay. And I don't know what you mean by ads... If you mean the steam store, well that's like saying that all the product pictures on amazon.com are just advertisements. Stupid amazon for advertising!
And so what if some of the games didn't sell well when they were first released, do you need every game to be an EA endorsed bestseller before you should have to see it? Games like Darwinia and Psychonauts were given new life by steam, and games like Audiosurf were only possible on such a large scale because of it.

Honestly, if I hear one more person complain about a feature on steam that can be disabled in 2 easy steps, I'm going to knock 'em out.

Yes! You can play offline in just 2 clicks of the mouse. (File/ Go offline)
Yes! You can turn the chat pop up off. (File / Settings / Friends)
Ads? What ads?

The question is why NOT use steam.

Some people are so stupid they need a big red button to push.

I love the steam overlay. And I don't know what you mean by ads... If you mean the steam store, well that's like saying that all the product pictures on amazon.com are just advertisements. Stupid amazon for advertising!
And so what if some of the games didn't sell well when they were first released, do you need every game to be an EA endorsed bestseller before you should have to see it? Games like Darwinia and Psychonauts were given new life by steam, and games like Audiosurf were only possible on such a large scale because of it.

The ads being the 'steam update' window which opens every time you start steam, despite being nothing to do with steam. As for the EA bestseller comment; that's not what I'm talking about. I don't want to be told some shit like Infernal or Generic Racer II is 3% off today or something. Things like Darwinia and Psychonauts account for about 5% of what's on Steam, the rest is all sodding FlatOut and Texas Hold'em.

They're all doing it now - Xfire, Steam, anything that used to be good is now trying too hard to be clever. Xfire can't open links any more, but at least you can rape your computer by recording shitty videos with it, like everyone wants to! Steam was good for allowing you to play without discs - not that you need them for the majority of online games anyway - but thank fuck for the community overlay, because MSN and Xfire and AIM and ALL THE FUCKING REST weren't already out for DECADES. Same with TF2.

Pet hate. If it isn't broken, don't bog it down with all sorts of fat shit.

GAHAHAGAGAGAGHGARNARMNRNRN

Anyway, I've solved the issue... Just bought the original for on steam 19.99 and signed into my old account but had access to both games :D
Glad to hear you've got a solution. Too bad the hater(s) had to come in here and threadcrap when all you asked for was some help. Makes one wonder why they spend so much energy on something they hate. Attention-whores, methinks.

The ads being the 'steam update' window which opens every time you start steam, despite being nothing to do with steam. As for the EA bestseller comment; that's not what I'm talking about. I don't want to be told some shit like Infernal or Generic Racer II is 3% off today or something. Things like Darwinia and Psychonauts account for about 5% of what's on Steam, the rest is all sodding FlatOut and Texas Hold'em.

They're all doing it now - Xfire, Steam, anything that used to be good is now trying too hard to be clever. Xfire can't open links any more, but at least you can rape your computer by recording shitty videos with it, like everyone wants to! Steam was good for allowing you to play without discs - not that you need them for the majority of online games anyway - but thank fuck for the community overlay, because MSN and Xfire and AIM and ALL THE FUCKING REST weren't already out for DECADES. Same with TF2.

Pet hate. If it isn't broken, don't bog it down with all sorts of fat shit.

GAHAHAGAGAGAGHGARNARMNRNRN

Wow, why are you so angry? The pop up can be disabled, and if you cant figure out how...... just close it when it pops up. All you have to do is click the X and no ads ever pop up again.I have Steam set to start when i boot up, so i never see pop-up ads ever.

If you dont like the extra features.... dont use them. If you want to alt-tab out of a game to send a friend a message as to what server your playing TF2 on, thats all you. My friend can just shift-tab in game and click join.

Back