Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Single 120mm Radiator - 80mm Thick!!

xyexz

Limp Gawd
Rad link here.

So I asked in a separate thread regarding this radiator but at first I titled the thread about a different rad so I'm creating a new thread for this one.

I'm probably going with this radiator, I finally found some reviews on this bad boy on a german site, all I can say is WOW.

Comparison to other rads using 300watt testbed with 1500RPM fan @ 5V

Comparison to other rads using 300watt testbed with 1500RPM fan @ 12V

Flow comparison

Thinking I'm going to couple this rad with an Apogee Drive II pump, MCRes-Micro R2 SSF Hi-Flow Acrylic Reservoir and Koolance Full Coverage G1/4 Liquid Cooling Block for the GTX 680.

My main question is, does anyone see this setup not working for a 2600k and evga gtx 680?

I probably will do a modest OC on the 2600K, it's sitting at 4.5 right now and with an Antec 620 on it it never reaches 60c - which may be pointless to mention as it's not apples to apples.

I'm thinking with the new 600 series nvidia cards using less energy and running cooler stock that I probably wouldn't have any issue with some good SP fans on that rad.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Standard advice for 2 blocks is 2 rads, but I've seen you posting in the SFF forum, so I know why you are limited to a single radiator. You're not going to get great temps of course, but you can get temps better than stock air. I think it's worth trying, and your results might surprise people.

Edit: If I were you I'd connect both push-pull fans to the CPU/Chassis fan headers on your motherboard, and get an adapter cable to connect the PWM fan header from your GPU to the Apogee Drive II. The logic of this being that the pump is apparently quite loud on the Apogee, so you only want it running faster when you are also using the GPU, and it can revert to slow flow when you're only using CPU.

Last edited:
My Blackice GTX 120 gets heatsoaked with my 2500k @ 5ghz, and the GTX120 is supposed to be one of the best because its high fin density when paired with SP fans.

My Blackice GTX 120 gets heatsoaked ...

"Heatsoaked" is jargon for temperature stabilisation. I'm guessing you mean something else. Anyway you need to tell us more: which pump, what flow rate, which fans, how is it mounted, what temps, which other components in the case, which case?

"Heatsoaked" is jargon for temperature stabilisation. I'm guessing you mean something else. Anyway you need to tell us more: which pump, what flow rate, which fans, how is it mounted, what temps, which other components in the case, which case?

I dont want to hijack this guys thread, So I will PM you instead.

Thanks.

I appreciate the non-jacking (lmao) @leeleatherwood

WiSK I like that idea for using the GPU to control the pump, it is really a practical approach to controller it under my typical loads which will be when GPU is taxed during gaming sessions and I could also control it via EVGA Precision X or something - and since the AD2 is getting power from molex I shouldn't have to worry about power coming from 680.

Still waiting for my Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced to get here so I can begin taking measurements for everything, in the front of the case I'll roughly have the space that normally two 120mm fans and two hdds lying horizontially will have to fit my push pull config and the rad so I think I'll be good.

Thanks for posting the review. I've been thinking of picking up a 240. The results are impressive with push/pull.

WiSK I like that idea for using the GPU to control the pump, it is really a practical approach to controller it under my typical loads which will be when GPU is taxed during gaming sessions and I could also control it via EVGA Precision X or something - and since the AD2 is getting power from molex I shouldn't have to worry about power coming from 680.

Just going to put this here so I don't forget about it. This seems to be the correct housing and crimps for the mini PWM header on recent graphics cards:
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0510040400_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0500118000_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml

And the other option is €1.39 for this adapter (and €20.30 shipping from Hong Kong)
http://www.moddiy.com/products/3{47...ini-Fan-Connector-(Female)-%2d-All-Black.html

Thanks for posting the review. I've been thinking of picking up a 240. The results are impressive with push/pull.

np, took awhile to find anyone benching these monstas.

Can't wait to see what the 120x80 can do.

I went out and built my cooler master 120 elite build and will make a thread showing my experiences with it, I ended up going with the gtx 670 4gb sc+ version from evga, I wanted 4gb in case I get a couple more LCD screens and I couldn't find a gtx 680 with 4gb at my microcenter in MN.

Overall cm elite 120 is a sweet case and it will fit an apogee drive 2 with room to spare!

WiSK thanks for posting those links I will definitely be testing the idea out.

Back