Alone in the Dark

SiliconValley

Limp Gawd
I'm considering getting this game when it comes out tomorrow. I loved the original on PC a looong time ago. What I'm debating with myself is whether to get the PC version or the Xbox 360 version. Any thoughts on which might be the better choice? I really don't know much about this latest version of the game.

I'm considering getting this game when it comes out tomorrow. I loved the original on PC a looong time ago. What I'm debating with myself is whether to get the PC version or the Xbox 360 version. Any thoughts on which might be the better choice? I really don't know much about this latest version of the game.

if u have a good vid card, then i'd say the PC version of course,
PC version often have better graphics ;)

I would get the PC version if you think you can run it (this is the PC section:p) . Also thinking about getting this game, but I'll wait for a review or two first.

I'll be picking up the pc version. I like my 360 I just can't stand a controller anymore.

Think an 8800GTS 640mb can handle it okay? If anyone gets the game tomorrow, could you post a mini-review of first impressions? Thanks...

offtopic..

how do you use your xbox 360 controler in your pc?..just plug it in? or are their some drivers to install?

offtopic..

how do you use your xbox 360 controler in your pc?..just plug it in? or are their some drivers to install?

yeap and yeap. plug it in works fine, to work fully (guide button) download the drivers.

^^ Seeing nothing but disappointing reviews like that for this game.

7 out of 10 (69 out of 100) is not a bad score. It's just not a classic or game of the year contender.

yeah i agree, i was hoping this would get better review scores. i liked Dark Sector even though it averaged around 7/10, but the scores were right on. it felt like a 7/10 game. i briefly scanned the IGN UK review of Alone in the Dark and it seems they really only have 1 major gripe...something about repetitive tree bashing in one of the later levels. i guess the developers felt the need to pad the game with a couple hours of useless content.

Mediocre game + SecuROM = fail. I already have passed on excellent games infested with SecuROM, so I'm certainly not going to buy a mediocre game that uses it.

Ign gave this game a 3.5 ??? With all the buzz going around I was expecting at least an 8.

Ign gave this game a 3.5 ??? With all the buzz going around I was expecting at least an 8.

I was expecting 7s across the board...buuuuut *holding unopened copy* ....I think I might have to just wait for a demo :(

or when it's $15 bucks. Man. It just looked so cool. I can't believe it seems like they really dropped the ball.

That sucks. I was really looking forward to the game.

Then again. There hasnt been anything good associated with the Alone in the Dark name since the early 90s.

this game has recieved some very harsh reviews, some were even taken down by atari (or whoever is the publisher)

as in, legally taken down. but yeah, it was getting a lot of 6 out of 10 or something like that

I picked this game up for the 360 today, so YMMV on some things...

I honestly really like the game. While I'll admit that the game has issues, most of which being technical, it's still very good. The pacing and variation is enough to keep your interest, and while the combat isn't the best (at least PC users wont have to deal with autoaim), it's simply a part of the game instead of it's main MO. Graphically, the game delivers but it does seem a little dated at times with some plasticky models and some mismatched mouth-to-voice moments.

If you can't deal with the issues listed above in the least bit, don't bother. If you can appreciate a game past it's flaws and embrace original gameplay concepts with a decent storyline, you're in for a treat.

I picked this game up for the 360 today, so YMMV on some things...

I honestly really like the game. While I'll admit that the game has issues, most of which being technical, it's still very good. The pacing and variation is enough to keep your interest, and while the combat isn't the best (at least PC users wont have to deal with autoaim), it's simply a part of the game instead of it's main MO. Graphically, the game delivers but it does seem a little dated at times with some plasticky models and some mismatched mouth-to-voice moments.

If you can't deal with the issues listed above in the least bit, don't bother. If you can appreciate a game past it's flaws and embrace original gameplay concepts with a decent storyline, you're in for a treat.

thanks for the mini-review so_cal_forever. i think i'll rent this sometime, i can look past a game's flaws if other good elements are present. might be several months before i get around to renting it though, i've barely even touched my copies of GTAIV and MGS4.

I'm really liking it so far. Graphics are fairly nice in some areas, lacking in others. The controls are a bit quirky and require getting used to (no strafing in third person view + sometimes camera moves to a more cinematic angle instead of the over-the-shoulder view)

I like it because its different. Now a days no matter the graphics or story, seems I'm always playing the same games over and over.

Back