Allow only specific sites in Ubuntu

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to allow only specific sites to be accessed via Internet in Ubuntu? I know that you can use IPTABLES to block specific sites, but is there one to only allow specific sites?

i.e. I only want users to access anything in the ZD Net domain.

But that's by IP, not by domain name.

Edit: If I wanted to only allow access to news.google.com, it would access the closest Google server, and depending on where I am in the world its going to be a different IP. Are you saying I should list all X IPs of the domain I only want access to?

Hmm, I have a better idea of what you want now. I would probably throw together an Untangle box to deal with it, I guess, as I have never had to implement that high a level of filtering (pretty much solely a domain whitelist) with a small number of clients.

Could you provide a few more specifics as to what exactly you want? On certain workstations in a network, you want only to allow a small number of sites? How many are we talking? Are there going to be users on the same network that can't be restricted to that extent?

My only other idea is to simply disable all DNS lookup. Then add the whitelist categories to your /etc/resolv.conf, but I suppose that would be fairly tedious.

We operate a global service that allows our customers to register through our online site. We're thinking of implementing a "kiosk" machine that will only have access to our company pages, but depending the location the IPs of our site will be different. We want to have one baseline that we can roll out to every location without the hassle of having to have to manually go to every location and get every IP that our site can be located on and put it into a whitelist.

i.e. If we're in Germany, the IP of our server will be different than when we're in the US so we want to have it based off the domain name instead so it wouldn't matter what the IP was.

Back