Alleged AMD Ryzen 2 Leak Reveals 12-Core Ryzen 7 2800X with 5.1GHz Boost

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
KitGuru showed a slide during a recent video revealing three new Ryzen 2 processors from AMD that bring more cores and faster clock speeds to the table compared to AMD's existing Ryzen 7 series. The new chips culminate in the Ryzen 7 2800X, a 12-core/24-thread processor with a 4.6GHz base clock and a smoking fast 5.1GHz boost clock.

What makes the launch even more exciting is AMD's aggressive pricing—according to the slide, MSRPs will be $449 for the Ryzen 7 2800X, $399 for the Ryzen 7 2800, and $329 for the Ryzen 7 2700. The bigger question here is motherboard support. AMD has promised to stick with its AM4 socket for the next few years, and that will be the case with its Ryzen 7 2000 series. But will AMD take a page from Intel with its Coffee Lake launch and require a new chipset?

holy shit.

4.6ghz base 12 cores?

just less than two years ago i went with a 5930k because it had a 6 core and i got it for $350 which was amazing.

Things really sped up fast.

If it's true and they stick with AM4 this is awesome. I'll upgrade first thing. It's been so long since we had competition like this to keep Intel on it's toes too. Good for everyone.

I want this to be true badly, but those numbers don't look right. Core increase along with clock speed increase? I mean, that would just destroy Intel. A 12/24 CPU with a 4.6 base clock? Holy hell, dude.

Also, wouldn't a 12/24 part just cannibalize AMD's Threadripper offerings?

I want this to be true badly, but those numbers don't look right. Core increase along with clock speed increase? I mean, that would just destroy Intel. A 12/24 CPU with a 4.6 base clock? Holy hell, dude.

Also, wouldn't a 12/24 part just cannibalize AMD's Threadripper offerings?

New TR, obviously

I don't think this is true, I would love for it to be however, because at those prices, I would be one of the first in line for one.

If true, this'll be my next AMD build/upgrade.

Gotta check on RAM compatibility and pricing...

Ryzen really does feel like how AMD *wanted* the Bulldozer launch to go. Glad to see, at least the planning, is indicating a steady ramp up of clocks and cores.

If trolls, that's disappointing. The primary advantage Intel has over AMD right now is their higher clock speeds. If AMD was able to get past the 4 ghz barrier, they would really be on equal grounds with Intel.

so either these will be priced insanely well, or TR prices will drop. Either way.... might be building a new rig next year.

I could see AMD "Leaking" this info to curb people from buying Intel in the near future in hope people wait for Ryzen 2. I really can't see them making this kind of advancement barely a year from Ryzen release. If it is true it will more then likely will require a new chip set. But I am sure all you AMD lover will slam them like you do Intel for it!

TR still has all the 'extra' pcie lanes if nothing else. Of course TR is two Ryzen on a stick, right? TR2 would be two Ryzen 2 on a stick, no?

Awww yiss. Can't say I've ever been interested in an AMD product but this is good for future Intel offerings.

Even if it was true, the current low end AM4 mobos don't have VRMs that could handle such a thing.
They barely work well enough to handle an overclocked 8 core.

While I would love this to be true, I can’t see them gutting TR4 so soon.

Only you can stop the hype train!

Even if it was true, the current low end AM4 mobos don't have VRMs that could handle such a thing.
They barely work well enough to handle an overclocked 8 core.

While I find that some AM4 boards don't have adequate cooling for overclocked processors, things like 125W TDP definitely aren't out of the question. Most B350 boards in particular have plenty of VRM cooling for that.

I want to say that AMD learned their lesson the first time around with the FX-9590, just keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not wrong.

Well if nothing else, if they stick with AM4 that means lots of cheaps CPU upgrades for us when the next rev comes out.

Now DDR4 ram OTOH just sucks price wise right now. Hopefully that will improve. I miss the $80 16GB DDR3 days

Guys, guys. Please.

This isn't true.

AMD pledged that the AM4 socket would receive new chips up until 2020. The current AM4 specification states that all boards need to support 95w at least. Many boards can support much higher wattages, but a TONS of cheap, consumer and professional parts will encounter a nightmare of troubleshooting and complaints if AMD releases new, AM4 compatible chips that exceed that 95w initial specification, and someone decides to burn out their PC by attempting to upgrade. AMD is pretty good at f***ing up, but I doubt they would be so desperate to attempt higher TDP on an already established AM4 with Ryzen selling like it is.

Ryzen + and Ryzen 2 will all cap out at 95w on AM4. This is my prophecy.

I'm still using a 2600k. I'm starting to think about replacing my system in the next year or two - I got to say I'm quite happy to see all of these new processors. It should result in more power at a lower cost. Not too mention, I can choose between AMD & Intel for the first time in years. (Yes, could have before but there really wasn't much of a choice when I bought the 2600k).

KitGuru showed a slide during a recent video revealing three new Ryzen 2 processors from AMD that bring more cores and faster clock speeds to the table compared to AMD's existing Ryzen 7 series. The new chips culminate in the Ryzen 7 2800X, a 12-core/24-thread processor with a 4.6GHz base clock and a smoking fast 5.1GHz boost clock.

What makes the launch even more exciting is AMD's aggressive pricing—according to the slide, MSRPs will be $449 for the Ryzen 7 2800X, $399 for the Ryzen 7 2800, and $329 for the Ryzen 7 2700. The bigger question here is motherboard support. AMD has promised to stick with its AM4 socket for the next few years, and that will be the case with its Ryzen 7 2000 series. But will AMD take a page from Intel with its Coffee Lake launch and require a new chipset?
Did they invent new physics or a time machine to go back and become Intel? If not this thing will burn 300W and be late more likely.

meanwhile Intel continues to use grey paste on their high end CPU's and requiring one purchase a new motherboard if one want to go from 7700k to 8700k series 300

meanwhile Intel continues to use grey paste on their high end CPU's and requiring one purchase a new motherboard if one want to go from 7700k to 8700k series 300

You keep complaining and they keep selling. Apparently your opinion is garbage.

They sure line up for another mega hype failure.

12LPP is just another renamed node and isn't going to give 25%+ clock speed changes. Even 5% in the top would be considered very good.
Zen+ is exactly like Zen. 0 changes besides the node including die configs.

But again, this slide was fake ages ago and funny enough still is.

please be true so intel current gen prices tank. 7820 is what I want cheap

Back