Alldocube X Neo

Thanks for sharing this information! I wonder how it is still going for you a month later? Also, what benefit does the HW+ decoder provide?

Update: I flashed the newest crdrom-v302-210315-arm64-bgZ today, and I am seeing that it does detect and join my WiFi 5ghz network. I had trouble with ROMs in the v200 range not seeing 5ghz. Okay update #2, I tested the WiFi signal, and 5ghz is very poor on the other side of my house. And it will not auto-connect after rebooting. However, 2.4ghz is fine. I really like this ROM (I was on CAOS prior) and am going to stick with it. The touch responsiveness seems much better, and there are lots of ROM customizations baked in.
HW+ decoder in apps like MX Player is the most efficient way of playing videos, the GPU does the heavy work saving CPU time.
Thank you very much for your suggestion about crDRom, I have flashed it and it works great. I see it's based on crDroid with phhusson's and Andy Yan's patches. Since I was on "pure" phhusson I have made a dirty flash with no issues. And Magisk is working! Prime Video still crashes, maybe CrimsonKnight13 can give us a clue.

Last edited:
Any streaming app that requires DRM (like HDCP) won't work since the device won't be certified past Widevine L3. All of them require L1, which ALLDOCUBE isn't willing to pay for verification.

I read the xda-thread but I couldn't figure it out - is this Android 10 or 11?

Edit: Since it's probably Android 11, is there a good alternative to opengapps or can I use opengapps for Android 10?
It's Android 11. You don't need opengapps because the bgZ has them included (the g in bgZ stands for gapps).
By the way, I ended up doing a crDRom clean install because I was having very bad battery life after a dirty flash. Now everything is working like a charm. And Prime Video works, maybe it was an Amazon login issue.

I know, but the g in bgZ also stands for too much garbage. :) Opengapps was a nice way to select only the apps you need.

Can someone recommend a good backup software (root) which runs with Android 11? I installed the crDRom clean, but my Titanium Backup was unable to restore the data.

Good news: Before flashing I made a backup with TWRP, using the image option / image-files. Restoring this backup in both slots keeps the X-Neo booting up normal afterwards, no additional flashing required. I would not have believed it. :)

Bad news: With Android 11 / crDRom it is not possible to expand the file system of the system partition. I first tried to flash the vanilla version of crDRom (without gapps) and afterwards I wanted to flash NikGApps, but the resize in TWRP failed with an error. Probably because of the old TWRP version.

In the meantime I got the version bvZ of crDRom installed with Magisk and NikGApps (Basic), what means the file system resize worked (no idea why it did not work yesterday). Nice rom and due to crDroid-options I could do without gravity box. But no 5 GHz wifi for me.

I am back to qiDroid (Android 10). crDRom is great, but I had two issues:
  • Wired headphone does not work.
  • The X-Neo won't connect to a wifi secondary mesh device. It connects to the primary mesh and if I move to the room with the secondary mesh, the primary moves the connection to the secondary as it should be. But if the connection is lost, I always had to go to the primary mesh device to establish a new wifi connection.

I am back to qiDroid (Android 10). crDRom is great, but I had two issues:
  • Wired headphone does not work.
  • The X-Neo won't connect to a wifi secondary mesh device. It connects to the primary mesh and if I move to the room with the secondary mesh, the primary moves the connection to the secondary as it should be. But if the connection is lost, I always had to go to the primary mesh device to establish a new wifi connection.
Thank you for the info. So I will stay on LOS 17.1 (Android 10) for now. It's pity that 5GHz WiFi on Android 11 seems to be still as bad as on Android 10. Otherwise it would be for me a reason to move.

Thanks to the guidance in this thread I was able to flash crdrom-v302-210315-arm64-bgZ successfull to my device. However, I am having some problems, so I am looking for suggestions as my usecase is rather "special": I am using the tablet mounted to the wall in my bedroom to control my home automatition system. I am using tasker to trigger/react to webrequests for certain things (controlling brightness remotely, forwarding notifications to the home automatition, etc.). My biggest problem right now is that notifications don't work reliable. Sometimes, everything works as intented, sometimes the tablet just doesn't get some notifications send through google firebase. I have been searching through the settings to find if it disables wifi after some hours when the screen is off, but couldn't find such a setting. Wifi in general is not great as I am limited to 2.4ghz, but it shouldn't be so bad that I am missing packets...
Maybe anybody has a similiar setup working reliable? I would be happy to flash another rom again, as long as notifications are working afterwards...

Thanks to the guidance in this thread I was able to flash crdrom-v302-210315-arm64-bgZ successfull to my device. However, I am having some problems, so I am looking for suggestions as my usecase is rather "special": I am using the tablet mounted to the wall in my bedroom to control my home automatition system. I am using tasker to trigger/react to webrequests for certain things (controlling brightness remotely, forwarding notifications to the home automatition, etc.). My biggest problem right now is that notifications don't work reliable. Sometimes, everything works as intented, sometimes the tablet just doesn't get some notifications send through google firebase. I have been searching through the settings to find if it disables wifi after some hours when the screen is off, but couldn't find such a setting. Wifi in general is not great as I am limited to 2.4ghz, but it shouldn't be so bad that I am missing packets...
Maybe anybody has a similiar setup working reliable? I would be happy to flash another rom again, as long as notifications are working afterwards...
I have set up some tiny automation in between X Neo and my phone in Tasker too. I use Join for sharing statuses between these two devices. It works perfect, 100% reliable. Both devices are running on LOS 17.1 and X Neo is connected to 5GHz Wifi. Although this WiFi band works badly on X Neo, it is still a bit better than 2.4GHz band for me.

I have set up some tiny automation in between X Neo and my phone in Tasker too. I use Join for sharing statuses between these two devices. It works perfect, 100% reliable. Both devices are running on LOS 17.1 and X Neo is connected to 5GHz Wifi. Although this WiFi band works badly on X Neo, it is still a bit better than 2.4GHz band for me.
What ROM are you using for LOS 17.1? I stumbled over Join the other day, but still haven't looked into it further...

Wow - what an frustrating experience...
I tried to install linage 17 (and linage 16) afterwards. Both worked, but the images are missing google play services. Got Open GApps, tried to install, didn't work because the system partition is to small. Which is exactly as described in the modification guide :) However, what isn't described: Resizing the system partition has zero effect. I am unsure if it doesn't resize it at all or if it is still too small afterwards (there is no option to adjust the size) OR if its a bug in the installer. I didn't bother because as for the wifi the behaviour was the same for all custom firmware images I tried (crdroid, linage 17, linage 16, caos and now qidroid): They all do connect to my 5Ghz network, but since the signal is very poor they randomly fall back to 2.4Ghz sometimes. Unfortunately I cannot force a 5Ghz connection, because Google decided to remove the option to disable 2.4Ghz from Android and my mesh wifi has the same ssid for both frequencies. Whatever the cause of the wifi problem is, it is most likely a common issue for all GSI builds...

Next I had a look at Join, which on paper reads like an excellent solution (it even has node-red support with its open API), but in reality is the buggiest piece of software I came across for a while... On the neo I couldn't sign in to my google account - the authentification dialog just hang after account selection. The windows 10 app displays a .NET stacktrace when there are no android devices registered. On my main phone (Galaxy Fold 2) the background service only stays alive when it has missing permissions to complain about. Once I grant everything requested it dies within seconds never to come back... I am a bit unsure how to proceed from there on - maybe the best option right now would be installing the latest chinese firmware, since I really don't have to interact with the operating system once everything is set up...

koshi Did you get an error message after resizing? Then try it again after reboot TWRP. Resizing the file system size (it is not the partition size) normally works without errors, but if you leave the resize dialogue, the new size is not displayed (and not aknowledged by TWRP I assume). But if you go back to TWRP main menue and re-enter the resize dialogue, you will see the new size (3069 MB is the max. possible size of the system partition file system, if I remember right). See post #110 and following.

Depending wifi I can recommend the Magisk wifi bonding module, which gives more speed if your wifi-router has the 40 MHz available. With Android 10 (qiDroid) I had no issues with my wifi mesh devices with 2.4 GHz wifi. With 5 GHz, it only connects to the primary mesh device (if at all) and does not see any 5 GHz signals at the secondary mesh devices. I have identical SSIDs for 2.4 / 5 GHz and am using channels below 100 at 5 GHz. With qiDroid I had no disconnects at 2.4 GHz.

koshi Did you get an error message after resizing? Then try it again after reboot TWRP. Resizing the file system size (it is not the partition size) normally works without errors, but if you leave the resize dialogue, the new size is not displayed (and not aknowledged by TWRP I assume). But if you go back to TWRP main menue and re-enter the resize dialogue, you will see the new size (3069 MB is the max. possible size of the system partition file system, if I remember right). See post #110 and following.

Depending wifi I can recommend the Magisk wifi bonding module, which gives more speed if your wifi-router has the 40 MHz available. With Android 10 (qiDroid) I had no issues with my wifi mesh devices with 2.4 GHz wifi. With 5 GHz, it only connects to the primary mesh device (if at all) and does not see any 5 GHz signals at the secondary mesh devices. I have identical SSIDs for 2.4 / 5 GHz and am using channels below 100 at 5 GHz. With qiDroid I had no disconnects at 2.4 GHz.
No error. Since I had to install the Open GApps on the chinese firmwware, too, I looked into it again: Partition after resize was ~3GB with ~1GB free. Still got the error from GApps (stock), though. Nano package installed without issue, maybe it is just too big for anyone :)

I tried the wifi bonding shortly while still on qiDroid, but it didn't change anything - even though my mesh should support it (unfortunately it is very consumer oriented, so not much information/settings to play with). I am now on the Chinese firmware with GApps and Magisk/root. Was a bit of a pain to change the language, but right now it is basically doing everything it should. I do miss the customizations of the custom roms, but working wifi is more important at the moment.

Okay, 好运气 with the chinese rom. :)

Opengapps (stock) is about 960 MB zipped, that might be too much for our partition layout even with a small rom.

CrimsonKnight13
Thank you for the detailed instructions and for providing the necessary files and tools. After minor problems with TWRP and the GSI images, I was now able to install crdrom (android 11), nik gapps and Magisk 22 on both partitions and use the tablet. The message that the unit is now corrupt is still somewhat annoying. It should help if vbmeta and dmverify are flashed so that these messages disappear.

Unfortunately, the tablet is currently posing as a cell phone. Therefore, the UI does not quite fit and some functions such as restricted user profiles are missing. Is it enough to reduce the dpi in the developer options to 600 dpi or do other files need to be adapted so that the device correctly identifies itself as a tablet and offers the corresponding functionalities?

Hi, I have some problems with LTE signal anybody with same problem?
I try all ROM stock and custom...

Hi, thanks for all the hardwork put in the form of guide and trouble shooting advises.

I am stuck with magisk unable to install, it say "No Ramdisk", do i need to patch the magisk with boot.img? where to get this boot.img from?

Any help is appreciated.

I am stuck with magisk unable to install, it say "No Ramdisk", do i need to patch the magisk with boot.img? where to get this boot.img from?
A boot.img is included in every rom-archive. You can copy it to the tablet, patch it there with the magisk app, copy the patched boot.img back to the rom-directory (overwriting the old file) and then flash the whole rom with QFIL or flash the boot.img only with fastboot.

But this is not necessary. If you are not able to flash Magisk from inside TWRP, you seem to have made something wrong or missed something from the guide. Btw., newer versions of Magisk are only available as an apk-file, to flash it in TWRP you have to rename the apk to zip.

Has anyone tried the crDRom R 21.04.28? This seems to be the release. I would be interested to know if wired headphone works.
I have installed latest crDRom 21.04.28 coming from previous crdDRom version and it's working like a charm.
For the wired headphones issue type the following command as root in a terminal:

setprop persist.sys.overlay.devinputjack true

Although now I'm using my headphones plugged in the USB-C connector using a UGreen adapter (around 10€ in Amazon). I'm getting great audio quality and no static noise when the tablet is docked to the keyboard base.

Last edited:
Reactions: taro4
like this
I have installed latest crDRom 21.04.28 coming from previous cdRom version and it's working like a charm.
Is a dirty flash possible (from older crDRom)? I'm still on Android 10, but I think I have a TWRP-backup from a former test with R 2021.03.15 and then can update easily.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
Im a new alldocube neo x owner and and thanks alot for this helpful topic. Have read all but im asking to be sure.

1) I am on the latest international stock rom and everything actually seems fine, but my question is, is there a way to stay in stock international (pie 9) but root the tablet? So i can install helpful magisk modules(such as gps.fix, viper fx, wifi bonding, aptx etc.) and do more changes thanks to the root?

2) despite the known and famous wifi 5 ghz issue( i can live without 5 ghz somehow), which custom rom is the best one at the moment for a new user like me? I mean the least problematic one?
(Battery life, smoothness, responsiveness etc.

3) I havent seen anything regarding the "dark mode" at all and it is suprising. It is a graat soled screen and has great quality and very deep blacks. A dark mode in the rom would save a lot of battery juice imo. Is this possible to add or maybe added in any custom rom out there?

Thank you once more

Last edited:
emrah_tr If you want root, you have to unlock the bootloader and that is not (permanent) possible with the international original rom. For Android 11, the crDRom seems to be the best alternative (highly customizable). I'm still at Android 10 (qiDroid, also highly customizable), but will give crDRom a second try soon. Dark mode should be available in most (if not all) custom roms.

Is a dirty flash possible (from older crDRom)? I'm still on Android 10, but I think I have a TWRP-backup from a former test with R 2021.03.15 and then can update easily.
Coming from Android 10 you should do a clean flash. The best way to keep your previous settings is making a backup of all your apps with Titanium Backup and restoring them later, it's safer than restoring a full data partition from TWRP.

emrah_tr If you want root, you have to unlock the bootloader and that is not (permanent) possible with the international original rom. For Android 11, the crDRom seems to be the best alternative (highly customizable). I'm still at Android 10 (qiDroid, also highly customizable), but will give crDRom a second try soon. Dark mode should be available in most (if not all) custom roms.
Ok. I get it. Need to flash chinese stock rom which has availability to unlock the bootloader. And then to unlock the bootloader by fast boot commands and flash TWRP after. And a selected rom to flash.
But wish i could know which custom rom(s) had dark mode before trying to install :)

I have installed latest crDRom 21.04.28 coming from previous cdRom version and it's working like a charm.
For the wired headphones issue type the following command as root in a terminal:

setprop persist.sys.overlay.devinputjack true

Although now I'm using my headphones plugged in the USB-C connector using a UGreen adapter (around 10€ in Amazon). I'm getting great audio quality and no static noise when the tablet is docked to the keyboard base.
Which version did you flash? (Gaps, vanilla, no gapps etc?) Or flashed the gapps separately?

Coming from Android 10 you should do a clean flash. The best way to keep your previous settings is making a backup of all your apps with Titanium Backup and restoring them later, it's safer than restoring a full data partition from TWRP.
Okay, you did not write it, but I assume you made a dirty flash from the older crDRom. :) I made a TWRP-backup from my last try with crDRom (beta2) and will use this as the base for the new flash. Btw., Titanium Backup is not recommended with Android 11, because it can't handle external sdcards and splitted apks. The last update was from 11.2019 and I fear this was the last one. Swift Backup does most of the job Titanium Backup made in the past.

Which version did you flash? (Gaps, vanilla, no gapps etc?) Or flashed the gapps separately?
I flashed crdrom-v306-210428-arm64-bgZ.img.xz (it has the gapps included). By the way I don't flash from TWRP but from a PC using fastboot commands.

If you flash crDRom vanilla and (Nik) gapps after that, you have to resize the file system of the system partition in TWRP before flashing gapps to get the necessary space. You can spare this by flashing the rom with gapps included, but that leads to a bunch of Google garbage on your tablet. :) Unfortunately there are no Open Gapps for Android 11 at the moment, but these Nik Gapps should do it too.

Okay, you did not write it, but I assume you made a dirty flash from the older crDRom. :) I made a TWRP-backup from my last try with crDRom (beta2) and will use this as the base for the new flash. Btw., Titanium Backup is not recommended with Android 11, because it can't handle external sdcards and splitted apks. The last update was from 11.2019 and I fear this was the last one. Swift Backup does most of the job Titanium Backup made in the past.
Yes, once I am in Android 11 I can do a dirty flash between versions. Titanium Backup handles external sdcards and I still use it although it hasn't been updated in a lot of time.

CrimsonKnight13 taro4 pjrodriguez anyone has tried a sound mod with this tablet? (Dolby atmos, viper fx or similar) As we all know the sound from stereo speakers lacking a bit quality.
No, I haven't, I use the tablet most of the time with headphones and I'm getting great audio quality with them, specially now that I'm using a usb-c adapter. Magisk is working on crDRom so I suppose that ViperFX should work.

Yes, once I am in Android 11 I can do a dirty flash between versions. Titanium Backup handles external sdcards and I still use it although it hasn't been updated in a lot of time.
I tried Titanium Backup with crDRom beta2, it did not recognize my sdcard and was not able to restore the most of my apps. You can find similar experiences in TB ratings in the play store.

Back