All Your Bases Belong to Your DNA

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While a Mr. Robot tag line might have worked better, how long is it till we are simply only Johnny Mnemonic? No really? The UPI Science News has the real story, although Johnny still hits home.

DNA is nature's hard drive, capable of storing, replicating and transmitting massive amounts of information. Researchers in New York found a way to use DNA like an actual computer hard drive, successfully storing, replicating and retrieving several digital files.

Last edited:
So the matrix had it wrong...We aren't batteries....we are storage drives for massive data centers...i get it...or maybe we play both roles battery and hard drive. We may be useful enough for robots to keep us around...only as slaves....

What is the access time and all those stats? Faster than a good SSD?

Hmmm, based on my experiments, running a full backup copy takes several decades. Of course, initiating that backup is the fun part. The rest of the time it's a pain in the ass.

SSDs are cheaper and faster. ;)

Hmmm, based on my experiments, running a full backup copy takes several decades. Of course, initiating that backup is the fun part. The rest of the time it's a pain in the ass.

SSDs are cheaper and faster. ;)
215 Petabytes in SSDs would be about $56,975,000 (using $265 for a 1 TB Samsung) not including the hardware to hook them up.

Dude, all the hardware I've ever needed to "hook them up" came with the original purchase. ;)
High quality responses this morning! (Been in mexico for 9 days, hopefully the backup process has been failing often........)

So the matrix had it wrong...We aren't batteries....we are storage drives for massive data centers...i get it...or maybe we play both roles battery and hard drive. We may be useful enough for robots to keep us around...only as slaves....

Not only those things, but we will be used as processors as well. The human brain is still leagues ahead of any supercomputer, its just bogged down with processing all the input from our sensory organs.

So in the end, we are self-replicating supercomputers that require minimal energy input. Its not about man using machines to replace humans, it will become a machine using humans to replace machines

Suddenly I picture a future akin to Frank Herbert's Dune. If you aren't familiar with it, artificial intelligence is banned and shunned throughout the galaxy because it once enslaved the entire human race. After they overthrow the machines, humans retrain themselves to replace and surpass the machines using things like drugs or genetic manipulation.

Not only those things, but we will be used as processors as well. The human brain is still leagues ahead of any supercomputer, its just bogged down with processing all the input from our sensory organs.

So in the end, we are self-replicating supercomputers that require minimal energy input. Its not about man using machines to replace humans, it will become a machine using humans to replace machines

Suddenly I picture a future akin to Frank Herbert's Dune. If you aren't familiar with it, artificial intelligence is banned and shunned throughout the galaxy because it once enslaved the entire human race. After they overthrow the machines, humans retrain themselves to replace and surpass the machines using things like drugs or genetic manipulation.

I always thought that was one of the freakiest parts of the storyline- hence the sig. And the Navigators guild was the next step of WTF.

Back