All You Can Eat Core Buffet! Cerebras Wafer Scale Engine 2

clockdogg

[H]ard|Gawd
Hungry for more cores? There's 850,000 on the plate.
SunG9zmpeSn5utkS[1].jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/281313/...ors-40-gb-onboard-sram-850-000-cores-12-wafer

Using just 15kW, thanks to TSMC's 7 nm process, expect this wafer to work as a smart waffle maker. Maybe the smartest waffle maker ever.

Also... good news... if TSMC can put this monster on the table, must mean we'll have our fill of measly little gpu snacks in no time.

lostinseganet

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder what could a processor like this do for AI in games like ARK, Serious Sam, ATLAS, Supreme Commander, PSO NGS, Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator 2, Cooperative gamming, PvE in general, and so on?

Ya know VR Chat is always complaining that their game is very cpu intensive. I would if this could help with any of that?

Last edited:

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
So from what I'm understanding is that they built a giant fucking chip? Congrats but that hardly seems practical. Imagine having 5 people pick up a chip just to install it.

cerebras-2.jpg

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to know what the defect rate is for something the size of a silicon wafer? So does 1 defect ruin the whole thing or do they just disable what's essentially a GPU's worth of silicon?

mouacyk

Weaksauce
I want to know what the defect rate is for something the size of a silicon wafer? So does 1 defect ruin the whole thing or do they just disable what's essentially a GPU's worth of silicon?
Considering they're using almost the same node size (7-8nm), the GPU is 2.53x as dense. The reasons are definitely due to needed spacing between dies and redundant circuitry that can be shut off to defective dies to salvage the rest.

Highwind

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm curious what kind of cooling solution exists for this thing at 15kW. Hot!