All Versions Of Windows Affected By Critical Security Flaw

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that don't have automatic updates turned on, you might want to hit the Windows Update button today and patch your PC.

The patch, MS15-106, addresses a flaw in how Internet Explorer handles objects in memory, the company said in its advisory. If exploited, an attacker could gain access to an affected machine, gaining the same access rights as the logged-in user, such as installing programs, and deleting data.

Considering automatic updates. Microsoft decided to force feed Windows 10 hard lately. On a computer that I never 'reserved a copy', I was prompted by a EULA for the Windows 10 upgrade. It seems without the reservation its in my optional updates list, but unlike my other optional updates it is checked by default. Whenever I update, I need to manually unchecked the Windows 10 upgrade because for that machine I decided to wait things out for a bit. Essentially with automatic updates the only thing preventing a undesired at this time Windows 10 upgrade is the EULA dialog box.

^ It's even "better" when WU stops checking for updates and will only let the user install Windows 10. :D

Considering automatic updates. Microsoft decided to force feed Windows 10 hard lately. On a computer that I never 'reserved a copy', I was prompted by a EULA for the Windows 10 upgrade. It seems without the reservation its in my optional updates list, but unlike my other optional updates it is checked by default. Whenever I update, I need to manually unchecked the Windows 10 upgrade because for that machine I decided to wait things out for a bit. Essentially with automatic updates the only thing preventing a undesired at this time Windows 10 upgrade is the EULA dialog box.
I had to look up which updates to remove and hide (KB3035583 is the main culprit, but others were listed on some sites) so that an old PC I don't want updated would stop forcing the download. So far it's been behaving.

All computers suffer from a serious security flaw, it is called the end user.

I had to look up which updates to remove and hide (KB3035583 is the main culprit, but others were listed on some sites) so that an old PC I don't want updated would stop forcing the download. So far it's been behaving.

I can understand not always wanting to change OSs "just because' however there is nothing wrong with a machine being older and running windows 10. Probably would run a little faster with 10. Worst case it should run the same.

Like most of the IE updates, this one is rated moderate on server OS. So you can and should patch it, but it's not a must do ASAP.

MS15-109 is only one that is critical on servers. (There is one other for Server 2008 non R2) It sounds like it would still require user intervention for it to work so probably not top priority either.

I recall last year November being a busy month as it was after a convention, but I'm not sure if that will be the case again this year. We'll have to wait and see.

I can understand not always wanting to change OSs "just because' however there is nothing wrong with a machine being older and running windows 10. Probably would run a little faster with 10. Worst case it should run the same.

Would my AthlonXP M system with 1.5Gb ram run faster on W10 than it does on WXP

The Barton is a good little processor, but I doubt it would handle W10 that great.

Would my AthlonXP M system with 1.5Gb ram run faster on W10 than it does on WXP

The Barton is a good little processor, but I doubt it would handle W10 that great.

Why don't you try it an find out? You're going to need at least Windows 7 32-bit on it first though because they won't let you upgrade to 10 from XP. Backup all your files manually with ntbackup first in XP. Then use XP mode in 7 or 8 to transfer your files to the Windows 7 or 8 host OS. You can also use a transfer cable if you have another PC to transfer to, but that's up to you. I used XP mode in a Windows 7 Virtual machine created with VMware fusion to transfer the files from my parents old XP machine to the Mac I got them, since I felt WIndows is to vulnerable to security threats and Windows wasn't cutting it even all the updates and security used.

However, I could really use a way to monitor their machine and mine, but I have no server to run it from at the moment. You could also use a debian distro of Linux if you want to switch completely from Windows should you decide you don't like Windows 10 and yes Debian supports steam because SteamOS is a debian distro. Just don't expect to be able to play all your favorite Windows games on Linux without PlayOnLinux or streaming them from a WIndows PC.

with so many stealth telemetry and Windows 10 nag screens disguised as Critical/Recommended updates recently I now make sure to check online before installing any new updates...even that recent Critical update which disables Securom I did not install because I have a lot of older disc games I may want to install in the future

Is it part of Microsoft's strategy to continue to be dishonest about what KB3035583 really is? Seems pretty scummy to me.

Hmm... have to pay more attention to WU then.

So far I haven't been force fed W10 yet (I am running enterprise).

I had my setting set to check for updates, but I'd install and download. I came home one day to find my computer rebooted, from sleeping, and having installed a bunch of updates I didn't ask it to. I now have Win10 upgrade waiting for me even though I have been declining those updates and hiding them.

If this was really that critical, they could do the same thing here.

I've uninstalled all the updates that forced Windows 10 as well as edited the registry to block the auto-selection of it. Much better now.

Is it part of Microsoft's strategy to continue to be dishonest about what KB3035583 really is? Seems pretty scummy to me.

After the debacle with that update and finding out that MS downloaded a 6gb folder to my pc without me knowing, i have turned off automatic updates completely. It will only notify me when updates are available and they really want me to install KB3035583

Why don't you try it an find out? You're going to need at least Windows 7 32-bit on it first though because they won't let you upgrade to 10 from XP. Backup all your files manually with ntbackup first in XP. Then use XP mode in 7 or 8 to transfer your files to the Windows 7 or 8 host OS. You can also use a transfer cable if you have another PC to transfer to, but that's up to you. I used XP mode in a Windows 7 Virtual machine created with VMware fusion to transfer the files from my parents old XP machine to the Mac I got them, since I felt WIndows is to vulnerable to security threats and Windows wasn't cutting it even all the updates and security used.

However, I could really use a way to monitor their machine and mine, but I have no server to run it from at the moment. You could also use a debian distro of Linux if you want to switch completely from Windows should you decide you don't like Windows 10 and yes Debian supports steam because SteamOS is a debian distro. Just don't expect to be able to play all your favorite Windows games on Linux without PlayOnLinux or streaming them from a WIndows PC.

I already dual boot with Linux Mint and the only game I play is Star Wars Galaxies so not worried about that. It is just used as my backup box to macro some in game content and crunch some distributed computing projects so unless MS wants to give me 7 free so I can upgrade to 10 free, probably wont do it. I just was curious if they claim any gain on such a low end system. It is also sitting behind two firewalls and has up to date anti virus and malwarebytes on it even though I never use it to browse so I feel pretty safe there too.

Back when I built it, it was a pretty screaming machine overclocked as far as I could without water cooling so it is tough to retire it.

I already dual boot with Linux Mint and the only game I play is Star Wars Galaxies so not worried about that. It is just used as my backup box to macro some in game content and crunch some distributed computing projects so unless MS wants to give me 7 free so I can upgrade to 10 free, probably wont do it. I just was curious if they claim any gain on such a low end system. It is also sitting behind two firewalls and has up to date anti virus and malwarebytes on it even though I never use it to browse so I feel pretty safe there too.

Back when I built it, it was a pretty screaming machine overclocked as far as I could without water cooling so it is tough to retire it.

I don't know because I have a situation with my P4 system, which uses a Supermicro P4SCT+II motherboard, since Windows 7 won't detect my hard drives through the LSI 150-6 RAID card and LSI doesn't appear to have drivers for it on their site. Therefore I can't get Windows 7 installed on that computer and it appears that at least two of the most popular distros of Linux being Ubuntu and Linuxmint Debian don't like the Nvidia Quadro Video card because neither will load the GUI when it gets to that point after I try to install Steam.

One more thing about this. I highly doubt Microsoft is going to give you Windows 7 for free, like they are with Windows 10 if you upgrade from 7, 8 or 8.1 before July 29th, 2016. If you get Windows 7 you could use the full version to upgrade, so you don't lose any files too in the process of backing up and restoring. I take it you're using WIndows XP from the sound of it, with your dual-boot of Linuxmint too.

Back