All US Android Phones Will Get 2.1 Release

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
All US Android phones will receive version 2.1 in some fashion, though some handsets will require a full wipe while others will get a nerfed version. Some phones will even require a PC-based install for the OS upgrade. Still excited about Android 2.1?

The carriers are still working with the handset makers to determine if their updates will be over the air or through a tethered PC client. However, I believe most will be PC-based because this would allow the update application to make a proper backup, flash the SPL (if needed), and achieve a higher rate of successful installs (CLIQs to BRIQs anyone?).

I'm calling BS on this. They might all be updated eventually, but if they were to put 2.1 on everything right now, why the hell would I buy an nexus one for $150 with a contract when I can get the eris for $70-80 with a contract. Is a bit more ram and a faster processor worth double the price? Hell no, this would totally undermine each of the company's 'flagship' phones.

The only good reason for this that I can think of is to prove to your customers that you care. Android phones are coming out at such a rate it seems stupid to buy one of the current phones, because the companies *cough* HTC *cough* keep announcing a marginally better product every month.

Droid is released as iphone killer, mega add campaign, etc, then 4 weeks later is overshadowed by the nexus one. Now with the N1 being the hot new android phone, HTC announces the Desire at mobile world congress.

By proving that you are willing to update the software on your android phones, I can feel more comfortable buying an N1 today instead of worrying about the desire later this year, and the next flagship after that.

Now I know what you are going to say, all technology is like this. You're right, but I would argue that phones are different because you are stuck to a contract. If you bought a 5870 the day they came out, nothing stopped you (except for maybe your wife) from buying the 5970 when it came out and selling your 5870. With a cell phone, you are stuck for at least a year (most carriers have an upgrade policy or you can get 1 year contracts). Once you hop on with a phone, you can't get out (unless you like $300-500 ETF's, plus the cost of the next phone).

This is my frustration with Android. I'm waiting to get one once my contract is up next one, but with new phones being announced every week, its going to be hard for me to buy one and not have buyers' remorse 2 months later.

I'm pretty sure that the way Android runs, a bit more ram and a faster processor IS worth double the price. Also the Nexus One is way cooler than the Eric, so there!

sweet, hopefully they'll release the video drivers for the g1 soon then.

I'm calling BS on this. They might all be updated eventually, but if they were to put 2.1 on everything right now, why the hell would I buy an nexus one for $150 with a contract when I can get the eris for $70-80 with a contract. Is a bit more ram and a faster processor worth double the price?
Absolutely, yeah. The Eris is not underpowered, per se, but the overall experience of using a Snapdragon-based phone is significantly better, just as the iPhone 3GS is a significantly better phone than the 3G. The Nexus One is a more capable phone than the Eris, thus it sells for a higher price.

The Nexus One is $179 with contract, by the way.

This is my frustration with Android. I'm waiting to get one once my contract is up next one, but with new phones being announced every week, its going to be hard for me to buy one and not have buyers' remorse 2 months later.
I'm right where you are, man. At this point, the only company HTC is competing with is HTC. Google isn't benefiting by HTC's handset saturation, either.

I'll try it but I want the option to downgrade back to 1.6 if my MyTouch3G doesn't take it well.

Sounds like a messy transition... They need to work on this or they'll end up facing the same issues down the road that WinMo has imo, where manufactures tack on all these skins and layers that complicate everything (not always for the better <cough> Moto <cough>) and implementing updates or developing for a common platform becomes a hassle.

I am looking forward to the update.

With Gmail syncing my contacts I dont see problems with a wipe.

My question is will I need to go the 3 blocks to the T-Mobile store or can I do it at home?

Just so long as the droid gets it soon. Motorola got everyone's hopes up when they announced 2.1 for the droid just a week after it hit the nexus one, only to pull the page the next day.

Is a bit more ram and a faster processor worth double the price? Hell no, this would totally undermine each of the company's 'flagship' phones.

without a doubt its worth it.

as a hero owner, i will be getting a supersonic or whatever faster android handset hits sprint next asap.

i love my hero. but i want faster.

A lot of people who own a Behold 2 really don't trust this. One main reason is since the Behold 2 isn't a big seller why would Samsung spend the money to convert all the extra code they put ontop of the 1.5 OS and beta test it on a phone that didn't make them that much if any money. They are not contractually obligated to upgrade so it's possible they will just skip it. I hope they don't but they have yet to make any announcements even though they have shown new phones with the 2.1 OS and a new version of touchwiz.

I did an upgrade through my PC today for my Samsung Moment (Android 1.5; bug fixes and battery life improvement). It was pretty painless. I didn't care about losing the apps since redownloading them is easy and Google Market remembers which apps I've purchased. The only thing that really annoyed me is that I lost my browser bookmarks. It's pretty weird that Android can't sync bookmarks along with everything else.

I didnt see any mention of the droid, but its running 2.0.1 anyway... so i should be good to go... wipe it or not, i dont care... if playing with technology over the years hasnt gotten me into the habit of backing up important crap.. i really shouldnt be playing the game anymore...

I'm looking forward to the official release for my Droid, but I think I'll mod it anyhow just to overclock the proc. I'm guessing ours will be over-the-air, like the last update, but I wouldn't mind a desktop sync as I'd like a local backup.

I have a Droid and I feel like I've been teased to death about this. First they say we are getting 2.1. Then we are getting 2.1 minus some features. From a hardware perspective the Droid and the Nexus One are just about the same. So I don't understand why they would take out features. I am for all or nothing. Also, I don't understand why Google doesn't just release an installer for Android 2.1. It's like when you buy a laptop with all the bloatware and crap on it and then you wipe it and put a nice clean install on there... it's like getting a new machine. Oh well... have bitched enough... keeping my fingers crossed that we get a full update soon and not a "lite" version.

Well i heard form endgadget awhile back that we were getting the 2.1 update. then a couple days later we werent, then that verizon was still testing it.. and then.. nothing... All that was based on the twitter or facebook page of motorola i believe. Just a cluster fuck...roll the damned thing out already... its going to screw up someones phone anyway...

I may un root the mytouch and grab it ota just to play with it. My G1 couldn't get any faster or better, so I'll I'll leave it be, same with the Cliq. I haven't modded my N1.....yet.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I got an update from 1.5 to 1.6 a few nights ago for my G1.... Does that mean 2.1 is on the way?

No. That means your G1 wasn't connected to the tmo network for quite some time. The 1.6 ota came last year. I know I picked up a G1 on the cheap from someone who was using it with AT&T and it was running 1.5. I popped my tmo SIM in and within a few hours 1.6 was waiting to update.

Interesting. I have used the phone daily.

I even checked updates a few times, maybe tmobile is playing games?

I did an upgrade through my PC today for my Samsung Moment (Android 1.5; bug fixes and battery life improvement). It was pretty painless. I didn't care about losing the apps since redownloading them is easy and Google Market remembers which apps I've purchased. The only thing that really annoyed me is that I lost my browser bookmarks. It's pretty weird that Android can't sync bookmarks along with everything else.

How do you get in and see what you've purchased and redownload apps you want again?

How do you get in and see what you've purchased and redownload apps you want again?
Go to the Market app, hit menu and select "My Downloads." Note that it only works for purchased downloads. For free ones, you'll have to find them again manually.

Oops. You don't have to hit menu. My Downloads is right on the home page of the Market.

Back