All Time Best Motherboard ?

For me the best is my current Foxconn P35A. Yes, it's scandalous :cool: but a great overclocker!
2nd place is Abit AN7, still running an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton.
Worst is probably the MSI KT3 Ultra2 that was a cranky ol' crooner.
My first Epox mobo with Athlon 1333 was pretty weak, too.

My personal favorite was my good old MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. That thing was just ungodly at overclocking my Winchester A64 3000+ (2.7ghz on air you say? Your wish is my command. )

As observedly epic boards, the ASUS p4p800/p4c800 were amazing, as was the A7N8X (E and deluxe only, the se was... special, for sure. )

I'm seriously liking the P8Z68-V/Gen3 I'm rocking now. It's been stupidly stable, even when I had a bad stick of ram in it, it never faltered. (Hell, it took TOR for me to find the bad ram. )

ASUS P2B sporting a slotket. I still have two.
They are my window to the past (pun intended) running DOS/Win31/Win98.

I used to rock a P3B-F with a slocket. that thing went through probably 4 used CPU's before I could build a real computer (533 celerey @ 600, 1ghz celery, 1.13ghz P3 and a 1.2ghz tualatin ) God that was fun.

1)DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
2)ECS K7S5A

The DFI was an awesome board, just the name bring back memories of forcing memory timings down, dreaming of SLI and accepting crappy 40 mm fans on a motherboard or paying extra for heatpipe cooling.

ASUS A8N-SLI was another great 939 board.

The ECS was not a great board, it supported SD and DDR memory, but other than that is was a mediocre board that sold at an insane rate.

I loved socket A, but the platform had very few good motherboards until the nforce chipsets where introduced. The same goes for most pentium 4 boards, in my opinion.

My bid would be the Asus CUV4X-D or similar dual P-III board from back when the words dual core or quad core did not exist.

EDIT:

I think this thread has gone completely off topic.

The best "current-gen" motherboard is the EVGA SR2 or equivalent.

so far my all time best motherboard was my biostar TForce 780G M2+. feature wise it wasn't a great board but it did everything plus way more then it should of.. board was designed for a max 95w chip, it wasn't designed to support a phenom II x4 940 yet biostar screwed up and released an unlocked bios that supported the 940, threw some heatsinks on the VRM's and overclocked that 940 to 3.6Ghz and it ran that way full load(running F@H SMP) for 13 months straight before the VRM's decided they finally had enough and the board kicked the bucket in a very painful death.

best overclocking board i've had is my DFI LP UT NF3 250Gb but i wouldn't consider it the best board i owned since it refused to support ATI GPU's and i had to disable the sata ports to break 3Ghz on my athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer which hit a max 3.2Ghz(1.8Ghz stock) water cooled.

Lol I still have an old Barton Athlon PC sitting around with the Abit NF7-S. Corsair XMS ram overclocked like hell thermaltake heatsink with a tornado fan and unlocked Radeon 9500 -> 9700.

I completely forgot my old Asus P2B-L! 440BX was really an awesome chipset and I still have that motherboard around (since it's the only one I've got that actually supports dual floppy drives...don't ask!). It's got 2GB of RAM in it and 1GHz Coppermine in a `slocket.' I think I was able to upgrade CPUs more times in that board than just about any other. Started out with a Celeron 300A on it and moved through various other celeron, `celermine' and coppermine CPUs before finally moving on to an Asus P3V4X because I wanted 4x AGP.

I forgot about the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe... very stable and so easy to overclock. I don't think I had a single blue screen once with that board.. only reason I gave it up was so I could run two 8800GTX cards in SLI.

I'd have to say the Asus A8N Series. More specifically, the A8N-SLI. The good old S939 Opteron days.....

Asus P55T2P4 (Rev 3.1) -- still running great after 15 years!

Started it with a Pentium 166, 32 MB of ram, and a 18GB hard drive. Today it has a K6-3 at 450MHz, 512MB of ram, and a 120GB drive. Still the same video setup, though--Matrox Millenium II 8MB + 3dfx Voodoo card.

Nothing better for playing Doom . . .

Last edited:
Worst is probably the MSI KT3 Ultra2 that was a cranky ol' crooner.

:( I loved my KT3 Ultra (bought it two days before the Ultra2 was released :()

ECS K7S5A

We need a puke smiley here. I built a machine for my parents around one of these when I stepped up from my XP1600+ to Northwood. The damn thing almost never remembered it was supposed to run @ 133 FSB. Most of the time it booted up, it'd read 1.05GHz instead of 1.40GHz. The SDR/DDR combo was kind of neat as it allowed me to put it together with some spare SDRAM I had, and then I was later able to upgrade it to some larger DDR chips.

I've always been a big MSI fan.. K7T Turbo-R, KT3 Ultra, 865PE Neo2-P, 785GM-P45, 785GM-E51, H61M-E33, Z68MA-ED55

Always liked Abit too.. BE6-II, ST6-RAID, BG7E.

A couple boards I used that really stand out at me over the years. ASUS SP97-V (and later -XV) for Socket7, Abit BE6-II, MSI K7T Turbo-R for Socket A.

Looking back, I seem to remember the most hype over the Abit KT7A-RAID. BP6 was another one I always wanted to play with.

My all time list:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe (my first adventure into overclocking)
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (first board I ever water cooled)
DFI LanParty UT X58-T3EH8 (rock solid performance and still rocking after 3 years, will probably keep in some system until it dies)

For current boards the Asus ROG boards are on my wishlist for my next upgrade.

In no particular order.

DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (basically nForce2 Lanparty but without the gimmick, still runs AFAIK)

DFI Lanparty NF4-SLI-D (Took my Athlon 64 3200+ to 2.75ghz and later Opteron 165 to 2.6-2.8, still running near 24/7 as home server at stock survived a psu death last year.)

Asus P6T Deluxe (Current motherboard and likely to remain that way for atleast another year)

Honourable mention

Asus Socket 775 boards 965, P35 & P45 based built several machines with similar motherboards for people over a year or so and all were pretty darn solid.

K7S5A was one of the most popular AMD budget boards of the time, people would even OC with them and it didnt even support it through bios. You had to get modded bios.

Abit BH-6. 50% overclock on my poor Celeron 300A. Those were the days. :p
Later followed up by the great Abit NF7-S v2.0.

Abit ip-35 pro. Hands down the only board I will never ever forget. It was one bad ass board.

Asus PC-DL First experience with over clocking. Running a pair of 2 LV 1.6 ghz Xeons at nearly double speed on air cooling was pretty amazing. Also still works after 8 years.
Asus P2B-D. Dual P3 that started out as a dual 550 upgraded to 1 ghz. Still runs like a champ after 11 years although recently retired from file server duties.

Asus PC-DL First experience with over clocking. Running a pair of 2 LV 1.6 ghz Xeons at nearly double speed on air cooling was pretty amazing. Also still works after 8 years.
Asus P2B-D. Dual P3 that started out as a dual 550 upgraded to 1 ghz. Still runs like a champ after 11 years although recently retired from file server duties.

The P2B series was as solid as motherboards could get back then.

Surprisingly: (No Particular Order)

Biostar T-Force 6100 - Damn good overclocker for a mATX board, rivaled the DFI LP boards at the time, pushed my 3200+ to hell and back.

MSI 790FX GD70 - First MSI purchase. Overclocked like a champ with all of my Ph2 x4/x6's, steady stream of useful bios updates / support from MSI and handled memory very well.

Least Favorite:

Abit i90HD
Asus P5LD2-VM

My vote goes to the DFI UT-NF4-SLI-DR EXPERT or VENUS. The Venus version was the EXPERT board with the Jewel Case, solid caps & deluxe bundle & only 1000 were made for the 25th anniversay of DFI being in business. edit -- yes, that's 1 thousand unit made world-wide. =) -- end edit

My Abit NF7-S, Abit KT7A or ASUS A8N-SLI.

I had an A8N-SLI that I never even booted up stock speeds. I ran my A64 X2 3200 at 2.5GHz on it for like 3.5 years with no problems or issues, ever. Rock solid.

Also, I really love my current motherboard. This thing has been pushing my 930 to 4.4GHz on water for close to 18 months now, without so much as a hiccup.

Back