All sorts of mobo problems, PCI bus dying? Help me please!

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys, this is annoying for Christmas day. I got a sweet set of 5.1 speakers, and I was moving my computer into my room to make a permanant setup for gaming. Everything was working fine this morning, as it has been for a long time. I move it 25 feet down the hall into my room, and NOTHING wants to work. I mean nothing.

My sound card isn't even detected. I plugged in a wireless network adapter (PCI), and it wasn't auto-detected. It wouldn't auto detect removable hard drives, it wouldn't even run programs reliably from a CD. I was thinking that nothing on the PCI bus was working (even the video went out from time to time and could only be restored by a hard reset).

I have an ASUS P4-S800D, an Audigy 2 ZS, a BFG 6800 GT (AGP), and a Linksys WMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter. Right now I'm formatting the hard drive and starting over with a clean Windows installation, which the computer has needed for a few months now. I had an issue with the sound card not being detected earlier, but that was solved by pulling it out, booting all the way into Windows, shutting down, plugging it back in, and rebooting again to have it auto-detected. I can't remember if I uninstalled the drivers...I think I did, so it would auto-detect as new hardware.

I think my PCI bus is screwed, but I'm not positive. If the sound card appears again miraculously, then I'll assume it's ok.

My other problem has to do with the network adapter. I mentioned that it wasn't being auto detected. This computer used to be in the living room, hard wired to the router. Now it's in my room and depends on wireless connection, at least until I can get a temporary uber-spool of Cat5. I'd really, really like to have the wireless work, and it's frustrating me. Why isn't it auto detected when I insert it into a PCI slot and boot up? Windows will not find it. If I give up trying auto-detection and install the drivers and wireless configuration utility manually, it installs but says "WEP11 is not installed" and if I try to make it work, it says it is inactive. The thing isn't even showing up in device manager, drivers or none. I would think it would at least show up as a huge "?" if it had no drivers. I'm getting very frustrated, this should have been a 30 minute project.

Thanks for your help, the whole thing came about because I tried to install a stupid wireless Network card. If you can come up with anything, all suggestions are welcome. Have a Merry Christmas, and thanks again.

Well, an update. After the format and reinstall of Windows and some plugging and unplugging, all cards work and are properly installed. The speakers work great, I just need to know how to enable 5.1 support in BF2. I'm working on that.

Also, another MAJOR issue. The wireless card is now installed and working, it just won't pick up the network. When this SAME card was in the other computer in the exact SAME location, it picked up the network just fine, never really had a problem. This card won't even detect a network. All settings for the router are the same, wireless enabled and all that. I'm really irritated. If someone can help this stupid card detect the network, or extend the range/signal power of the network, or just plain make it all work right, I would be much obliged.

Merry Christmas.

Back