All P core chips?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
When are we going to get an all P core chip? I would love to do video encodes with that.

duronboy

Gawd
I'm old enough to remember when CPUs only had a single core, and it was a P CORE. I was telling some children about this the other day and they said, "sure grandpa, let's get you to bed." I had a dream about delicious cereal.

oops.jpg

Grebuloner

[H]ard|Gawd
When are we going to get an all P core chip? I would love to do video encodes with that.
The i5s (minus K) and i3s are all P core. You can use the P/E chips without the E, but it'll be slower. Don't think Intel sees consumers as needing more P cores on their mainstream chips.

Or: wait for the next HEDT release or go for AMD which still believes in high P core count chips and AVX-512.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
The i5s (minus K) and i3s are all P core. You can use the P/E chips without the E, but it'll be slower. Don't think Intel sees consumers as needing more P cores on their mainstream chips.

Or: wait for the next HEDT release or go for AMD which still believes in high P core count chips and AVX-512.
Pretty sure he talking about having a cpu with 16p cores and not 8p/8e. Which I agree E core is a bad solution to get power and temps under control.

Grebuloner

[H]ard|Gawd
Pretty sure he talking about having a cpu with 16p cores and not 8p/8e. Which I agree E core is a bad solution to get power and temps under control.
Yeah, I figured. It's why I mentioned the other options. I think we're entering another desktop core count stagnation period.

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hand brake can do multiple encodes at once. I was thinking about just buying a thread ripper and sticking it outside my house 24/7

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
Sapphire Rapids is all-P, the question is (1) if it will be available as a prosumer product and (2) when the hell it will actually launch.

whateverer

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a fan of under volting. But that may not be enough

And most consumers would rather let windows handle core switching automatically: with mixed you get better overall performance in multi-threaded and lower idle power!

undervolting does nothing for leakage out of those big cores at idle

whateverer

[H]ard|Gawd
Not talking about idle.
sure

but for most typical multithreaded workloads, the 4x density these new atoms bring over the p-cores make under-volting p-cores to raise efficiency pointless! Just add 16 e-cores in place of 4 more traditional cores (both with AVX2 support, so no moe variable performance issues) to roughly double performance

and if for some reason you're not talking about 8+ thread multitasking, then what exactly are you aiming to do that the 6 cor 12 thread part cant do?

Last edited:

XoR_

[H]ard|Gawd
It is better to put more of E-cores instead of more P-cores, especially for programs which scale well with available threads like video encoding.
Intel went with good design allowing them to compete despite lower process node.