All of a sudden unable to remote manage Hyper-V 2012 R2

Rebooted a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server and now from my 8.1 Windows client I'm not able to remote manage the hyper visor.

When launching Hyper-V Manager:
Connecting to Virtual machine management service

then

The operation on computer <host name> failed.

Also unable to remote manage the disk:
Unable to connect to the virtual disk service

Any ideas???:confused:

The Hyper-V server is remote. I have a VPN tunnel between here and there - tunnel is up and I can login via RDP to the server. The server is part of the local AD domain.

Last edited:
Well it says Unable to connect to the virtual disk service, sooooo

Did you make sure that the Virtual Disk Service is running and set to automatic start-up?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb986750(v=vs.85).aspx

Yes. It was originally set to "manual". So I change the startup type to automatic. I then manually start the service. Nothing, no progress. I search online for this issue, it says that the service needs to be set to manual... so I change it back to manual. Rebooting each time... just to make sure. Either way, the service is started. Currently it is set to automatic.

Firewalls on all domain machines have been disabled via GPO for this test. Rebooted multiple times, in services.msc service Windows Firewall states "disabled".

I assume that when you RDP in you can access the hyper-v manager locally? What if you RDP to another server and try to manage it? Like within the same network as the Hyper-V Server?

on the Windows 8.1 PC I have the Hyper-V management pack installed. As a test on another Windows 7 PC I have 5nine Manager for Hyper-V installed and running.

In the 5nine program I am able to connect to the Hyper-V server and I can see the VMs. On the Windows 8.1 running the Hyper-V management I get the error - although it was working fine earlier today.

?

I have a 2003 VM in a continual reboot state during startup and with 5nine I am unable to hit F8 so I can go into a pre-boot menu and select "don't restart on system failure" (or whatever the wording is) so I can read the blue screen of death code.

I assume that when you RDP in you can access the hyper-v manager locally? What if you RDP to another server and try to manage it? Like within the same network as the Hyper-V Server?

I can't access the Hyper-V manager locally - it doesn't have anything but a command line window and another simple DOS management screen. MS stripped all the GUI out.

I don't have another 2012 R2 server to play with and I only have one 8.1 PC.

If you RDP to the box is is possible to run the mmc for disk management? I've never tried on the non-GUI server.

So I'm struggling to find out is the problem on the server or the Win81 PC that I run the HV management from. It's odd because I can connect to the same server using 5nine on a Win7 PC. So I'm leaning towards the problem being on the PC, not the sever.

Either way, end goal is to hit F8 during the VM boot but I can't with 5nine - can with Hyper-V manager.

I thought the end goal was to turn off BSoD Auto Restart? :)

So, I'm not sure of all the exact steps required, or if it's actually possible, but you can try something like this:

Put the OS cd in and boot to it, then go into repair options and go into the command line and type:

cd %systemroot%/system32/
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\ /v AutoReboot /t REG_DWORD /d 0

I'm not 100% sure if this is an option on Server 2003 recovery console, but I bet if you Google around you can figure out how to do it...

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I'm really trying to avoid a drive out to where this server is - it's really remote. ISO and Internet...

crossing my fingers.

Finally got the remote manage of Hyper-V to work. Issue there was that an incorrect HOSTS file on the hypervisor itself was causing some sort of problem. Reset the HOSTS file back to standard/factory and I was immediately able to connect from the 8.1 management PC.

Issue #2: I still can't get the VM to stop when it blue screen crashes - it immediately reboots. I ran the:
cd %systemroot%/system32/
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\ /v AutoReboot /t REG_DWORD /d 0
from MysticRyuujin, I mounted the VHDX in my 8.1 PC, loaded the SYSTEM registry from the VM, verified the "CrashControl" value was "0"... still notta. It just won't stop rebooting.

When I first had this VM running I had to apply (stop error 0x0000007B) (THIS) and then it worked BUT I was also able to stop the auto start on boot failure so I could see the stop error code. Not now.

Any ideas?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Does 5nine not allow for any remote console access? I've never used it, that's why I assumed you'd be able to mount the OS into the VM and access the recover. But then again I was confused as to why you couldn't press F8 so that would probably explain it haha

MysticRyuujin: Naw, it's all good; I appreciate the ideas you offered. thanks.

I ended up having two problems that at first I didn't know were two different problems.

First problem was that an incorrect hosts file was being used on the Hyper-V server. It was put there when it was "in-house" (on a different LAN) and should have been removed when it went back to the colo. So, after that was removed, I was able to remotely administer via Hyper-V manager on the Windows 8.1 PC.

Second problem was that (and still is, but I'm working around it) right before I was bringing the new VM online for production I performed a restore from the physical server it was replacing. The restore must have altered the HAL and put it back to what it was when it was on physical hardware. The Hyper-V HAL *seems* to be all messed up. Luckily I have two original backups of the *.VHDX from the Disk2VHD program when I originally ran it. So I was able to perform a few fixes on one of the backup VHDX to make it boot up in Hyper-V.

So, the million dollar question today is, what did the restore procedure restore that causes the original, working/configured VM VHDX not to boot properly? I suspect the HAL info is wrong, but I ran the same registry fixes and ensured the three necessary *.sys files were in Windows (just like the one that now boots) but it still will not boot - looping over and over and I can't break the operation. F8 won't break the boot, the registry change listed above won't break the boot. So something that loads in the registry before the "AutoReboot" causes it to conk out. I wish I could get this modified VHDX working because it already has some config changes done to it (within the Windows environment) and now I'm going to have to re-apply all of these settings.

I'm not a 5nine pro, but from what I've seen, it only allows access to a console of the VM it is hosting - not the true host itself. Dell's DRAC was a life-saver this time round.

?

Last edited:
Back