All new Microsoft games coming to Steam

Soooo.....Can I now play Forza on Windows 7 via Steam?
All the Forza games on PC run on DirectX 12, so no. The DX12 on Windows 7 thing is only for specific games and with a limited feature set compared to Windows 10, so I highly doubt Microsoft would put in the effort especially with W7 going EOL in 7 months.

No, I doubt they will remove any sort of Windows requirements for the games.

There could be a small chance. Microsoft's games on Microsoft Store are UWP, which by nature requires Windows 10 since earlier versions of Windows don't have UWP. A part of Microsoft's new announcement is that they're focusing again on Win32 because it's what gamers and game-developers prefer. And the releases of their games on Steam will surely be Win32 builds. So, maybe there's some chance that with the move from UWP to Win32 for those games it'll become possible to play them on earlier versions of Windows.

All the Forza games on PC run on DirectX 12, so no. The DX12 on Windows 7 thing is only for specific games and with a limited feature set compared to Windows 10, so I highly doubt Microsoft would put in the effort especially with W7 going EOL in 7 months.

Quantum Break was originally DX12-only while it was exclusive to Microsoft Store. But, when it came to Steam, it was given a DX11 mode, and it ran better in DX11 mode than in DX12 mode.

Quantum Break was originally DX12-only while it was exclusive to Microsoft Store. But, when it came to Steam, it was given a DX11 mode, and it ran better in DX11 mode than in DX12 mode.
If I'm not mistaken, the Steam version was released after Microsoft ended their partnership with Remedy. The Steam version was published by Nordic Games, not Microsoft.

If I'm not mistaken, the Steam version was released after Microsoft ended their partnership with Remedy. The Steam version was published by Nordic Games, not Microsoft.

Hmm. Maybe, I didn't hear about what happened there. The Steam store page lists Microsoft as the publisher, though:

In this video about Halo MCC, they say they're working on Windows 7 support. Of course, Halo Reach didn't use DX12 in the first place.

Soooo.....Can I now play Forza on Windows 7 via Steam?

Ones out now? No. Going forward? Maybe? Hard to say. Older OS support might be a rare thing, it could be game-by-game, or it could be a standard feature across the board. We won't really know until MS says one way or the other.

There could be a small chance. Microsoft's games on Microsoft Store are UWP, which by nature requires Windows 10 since earlier versions of Windows don't have UWP. A part of Microsoft's new announcement is that they're focusing again on Win32 because it's what gamers and game-developers prefer. And the releases of their games on Steam will surely be Win32 builds. So, maybe there's some chance that with the move from UWP to Win32 for those games it'll become possible to play them on earlier versions of Windows.

I really doubt it. Additionally, some games like Sea of Thieves are very dependent on the XBOX/Windows 10 stuff for the online aspects.

I really doubt it. Additionally, some games like Sea of Thieves are very dependent on the XBOX/Windows 10 stuff for the online aspects.

Games like Sea of Thieves aren't dependent on Windows 10 stuff. The online aspect uses Xbox Live. If Xbox Live required Windows 10 then the upcoming Halo MCC releases would not be able to work on Windows 7.

Ones out now? No. Going forward? Maybe? Hard to say. Older OS support might be a rare thing, it could be game-by-game, or it could be a standard feature across the board. We won't really know until MS says one way or the other.
I doubt they'll do anything going forward either, given that 7 loses all free support next January.

I honestly didn't know that Microsoft even still made games. I thought that died when Microsoft gaming zone went away and they just licensed their platform to developers.

That's a DX12 game?

All the engines and the games themselves had to be ported to the custom DX API the XB1 uses and the anniversary version of Halo 2 was developed specifically for the console. So...Kind of? Maybe? I don't think they've said one way or the other which DX version(s) they will be using.

Regardless, your statement was a pretty blanket denial of them putting ANY game on Windows 7. So bringing up DX12 is kind of moving goal posts.

All the engines and the games themselves had to be ported to the custom DX API the XB1 uses and the anniversary version of Halo 2 was developed specifically for the console. So...Kind of? Maybe? I don't think they've said one way or the other which DX version(s) they will be using.

Regardless, your statement was a pretty blanket denial of them putting ANY game on Windows 7. So bringing up DX12 is kind of moving goal posts.
it's not the engine porting thats the problem, most of them use the same engines PC games use. where the problem is comes from the resolutions, frame rates and FOV since most of the early halo games were at 960p or lower resolutions, FOV was 60-65 and to limit gpu loads the engines were designed not load full res textures out of view. once you expand the FOV to 90 all hell breaks loose with models and textures, they also had issues with the game mechanics and physics freaking out at 60+ fps since most of them are designed for 25-30fps. the UI and menu's weren't designed to be used by keyboard/mouse, there were no UI for graphic settings and the list goes on and on. in the halo collection thread there's a stream replay of them going into detail about what exactly they've been going through to get the games running on PC.. once they're done with halo reach though it shouldn't take as long to do the other games but they said they're not going to give hard release dates for any of them.

either way xbox live works in windows 7, 8 and 8.1 as well as 10, only difference is the xbox stuff is integrated into windows 10 so you don't have to install the games for windows live app.

it's not the engine porting thats the problem, most of them use the same engines PC games use. where the problem is comes from the resolutions, frame rates and FOV since most of the early halo games were at 960p or lower resolutions, FOV was 60-65 and to limit gpu loads the engines were designed not load full res textures out of view. once you expand the FOV to 90 all hell breaks loose with models and textures, they also had issues with the game mechanics and physics freaking out at 60+ fps since most of them are designed for 25-30fps. the UI and menu's weren't designed to be used by keyboard/mouse, there were no UI for graphic settings and the list goes on and on. in the halo collection thread there's a stream replay of them going into detail about what exactly they've been going through to get the games running on PC.. once they're done with halo reach though it shouldn't take as long to do the other games but they said they're not going to give hard release dates for any of them.

either way xbox live works in windows 7, 8 and 8.1 as well as 10, only difference is the xbox stuff is integrated into windows 10 so you don't have to install the games for windows live app.

Dude, games for Windows Live on the PC is dead. Seriously, I am not sure what you are referring to since I have not seen XBox Live working on anything other than Windows 10 or the XBox. What games are you referring to?

Dude, games for Windows Live on the PC is dead. Seriously, I am not sure what you are referring to since I have not seen XBox Live working on anything other than Windows 10 or the XBox. What games are you referring to?

nevermind then, for some reason microsoft still advertises it, i haven't used windows 7 since windows 10 beta started nor own an xbox so i didn't care about the feature then and still don't now. just assumed since microsoft still lets you download it that it was still available.

don't have the games ready when you make the announcement (in particular Halo Master Chief Collection)... instead make the announcement then post that you don't even have a date yet for the release :LOL:

Now, far as I'm concerned I'm NLI (No Longer Interested) especially for games with ancient graphics

don't have the games ready when you make the announcement (in particular Halo Master Chief Collection)... instead make the announcement then post that you don't even have a date yet for the release :LOL:

Now, far as I'm concerned I'm NLI (No Longer Interested) especially for games with ancient graphics

They announced MCC early because they wanted to be able to talk to people about what they were doing and get feedback from the community. They originally planned to have beta testing going already but delayed it to fix some issues and provide a better experience. Not really sure how that’s something to criticize them for.

The person I was replying to, as I recall, was talking about Forz Horizon, which I believe is a DX12 title. Indeed, I assume if it's DX11 it probably already runs on Windows 7.

Back