All new Microsoft games coming to Steam

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Retronym, May 30, 2019.

1. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

Q-BZ, IdiotInCharge and Delicieuxz like this.
  2. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

As long as they do not abandon their Play Anywhere initiative, I am cool with this.

AceGoober likes this.
  3. st01c

st01c n00b

Microsoft should just kill the Windows store altogether.

Jon855, Q-BZ, blert and 14 others like this.
  4. Newbie_52

Newbie_52 n00b

sweet, always nice to have more options instead of just one store.

AceGoober and ManofGod like this.
  5. ManofGod

Absolutely NOT! Might as well be saying they should just kill the XBox altogether.

6. ManofGod

You have to go to Facebook or Twitter just to comment on a PCWorld article? No thanks.

sadsteve and N4CR like this.
  7. st01c

st01c n00b

Does the Xbox really use the Windows store? I honestly didn't know that. I've really never heard of anyone using Windows store on PC though.

8. ManofGod

Not so much as I am focusing on all the Play Anywhere Titles and games I have bought there. Might as well just say lets kill Steam altogether. :D

9. st01c

st01c n00b

I meant no offense. I thought it was just one of those failed attempts for Windows to bring in more revenue. Obviously if you own/use products on it you'll want it to keep existing.

10. ManofGod

Yeah, plus it is a good thing to be able to buy the game once and have it playable on my Xbox and all my computers. :) They need to stick it out and improve it, not throw their hands up in abandonment, like have have with Windows Mobile and the Microsoft Band.

Edit: In fact, I do not recall the last time I bought a Steam game. (The only ones I have gotten recently game with my Radeon cards.)

Krolik314 likes this.
  11. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

So what does MS get out of that? Yes yes, I know that games will be profitable now, but it has to be more than that. Maybe they are angling in their azure cloud stuff into the mix somehow?

12. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

They get more people to buy their games because they're not locked to a store people don't like using. Phil Spencer has probably been pushing for this for a while, I've always suspected he was forced to make games exclusive to the Windows Store. This also allows the games to work on Windows 7 if they want to (like Halo MCC).

13. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

Just permit Steam to be installed on an XBox.

14. Derangel

What good would that do? The Xbox One doesn't use the PC version of DirectX so PC games couldn't be natively run under the XB1 OS.

15. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

Port it all - to just my XBox.

16. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

This re-opens the possibility of me buying future Obsidian and inXile games.

17. Toriessian

Toriessian n00b

I got Ark there as I play with some people on Xbox. Can't do that with the Steam version.

18. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

I started to get a scary nag message about installing programs form Outside the WS.

19. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

But it could and then those PC games in our Steam libraries would run on XB1. Most of them slowly. Very, very slowly...

20. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

Woo! This is unexpected good news. I hope this will include Age of Empires HD.

This doesn't affect Outer Worlds' release, I guess, since that's already signed to a limited-time EGS exclusivity deal and was developed under a different publisher.

The Microsoft statement doesn't specifically mention that all future games will come to Steam, but does say gamers should be able to choose where they purchase their games. That does imply Steam and other stores, but it isn't an absolute declaration that all future games will be on Steam.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/30/microsoft-approach-to-pc-gaming/

Yup, AoE 1 Definitive Edition will also release on Steam.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  21. twonunpackmule

twonunpackmule [H]ard|Gawd

Title of thread should be, "Microsoft says, "Full Steam ahead! In an Epic turn of events."

GoldenTiger and BHenry like this.
  22. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Epic: We have Metro and Borderlands

Valve: We have Microsoft

N4CR likes this.
  23. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

The netflix app is great. The Twitter app is OK (though I don't use it enough to be an expert on it vs a phone app). The Instagram app was useless when I tried it, but I use instagram even less than Twitter. The FB app is good, but I just use my phone or a browser 99.9999999% of the time. I can't remember the last time i used the FB app in windows. I also like their news app, though for a while, this year, (I think it's been fixed) it would randomly crash. But other than that period, it was rock solid for me. That said, i've never bought a thing in that store. And probably never will.

24. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

MS store should have been number one the second it was launched. But in typical MS fashion they half-assed it. MS seems to never go all-in on anything.
    Eg. Windows phone. They bought Nokia then proceeded to half-ass the entire endevour and in record time, flushed it all down the toilet! This is not what Co. do when they have endless pockets. They play the long game, and they play to win. Not MS.

otg and IdiotInCharge like this.
  25. Derangel

The Xbox division is probably the only long term money losing endeavor MS has kept around. As far as I know, not once, in the last 17 and a half years, has the Xbox division brought in a profit and yet MS continues to keep them around.

Revdarian and Lakados like this.
  26. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

And that is only to save their OS division. The second Xbox REALLY tanks then magically W10 will have access, making it the dominate platform once again. Combine PC's with Xbox and Sony will be the little guy. They don't really have a plan except failure.

27. Derangel

The Xbox has been tanking, badly, this entire generation. That's why Don Mattrick "stepped down" and why they brought Phil Spencer back. The Switch is going to surpass the lifetime sales of the entire XB1 family by the end of the year.

28. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Microsoft: We can put any game here but no one will buy it because no one wants to cross that line.

29. readeh

readeh Limp Gawd

This means Age of Empires 4 will come to Steam. Hope to see release date announced at E3.

30. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Windows 10 already has 'access'. Every game available on xbox is available on Windows 10. There is quite literally no reason to buy a XBOX unless you are fine with the sub-par graphics that a console provides because you can't afford a PC.

31. ManofGod

No not on every game is on XBox is on Windows 10, except for Microsoft first party titles.. Also, sub par graphics is just completely wrong unless you are a graphics whore and in that case, you are using sub par graphics unless you have the latest 2 x Titan's.

32. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

33. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

There are reasons for that, they can write those losses off and while they loose money on paper the licensing fees from the games makes money but that is in a different department and that department does well... to the tune of something like 9.7 Billion a year, MS is the 3’rd largest publisher behind Tencent, and Sony.

Edit
    Found newer rankings and revenue so I updated accordingly.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  34. twonunpackmule

Need to add, "Chinese Government" and "Security Flaws." To the Epic gang in the first pic.

otg and Armenius like this.
  35. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah... no. Consoles are still very far behind, and until the overriding computing paradigm changes, they'll stay that way.

Still can be- the 'Store' is the closest thing you'll get to an 'app repository' (or like the App and Play stores) where the apps can stay updated through the OS as opposed to trying to update independently.

Also wonder if this isn't a distant sign of Microsoft and Valve looking to join at the hip. I'm sure Microsoft would love the cloud business for Azure, and they could basically make Steam the default 'game manager' for Windows. I don't know what that would look like and what I can imagine doesn't all look good, but with the online game storefront market pretty well saturated, it might make sense to look into consolidating and leveraging strengths.

36. twonunpackmule

I can't imagine Valve doing that. They like their independence.

37. Derangel

Won't happen. Gabe is too paranoid about MS to work that closely with them. Gabe's paranoia is the reason Valve has done a heavy Linux push. This likely has more to do with MS wanting to move their games to a store with more visibility.

38. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I know that they'd have to give up some control, but this would be more about Microsoft giving up on selling games through their store and simply using Steam, and at the same time, Valve leveraging Azure and cutting down on their own hosting costs.

Microsoft is huge into Linux too- they have that in common :).

39. aeonrevolution

aeonrevolution 2[H]4U

Soooo.....Can I now play Forza on Windows 7 via Steam?

40. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

No, I doubt they will remove any sort of Windows requirements for the games.