All my desktop items are gone!! Do I have a virus ? Please help!

~ever~

2[H]4U
Ok so this is what happened.

I have Windows 7 pro 64bit installed in this computer and I have two log ons, one for the family and one for just myself.

I was using the family log on, and I was browsing the internet. I then opened Microsoft Messenger and I had some random friend requests that I accepted.

Maybe like 2 minutes later, all my icons on my desktop started disappearing. All my MP3s, Pictures, Videos and some folders I had on my desktop. I do still have my main icons like Firefox and My Computer and the Recycle Bin.
I then got all these pop up boxes with erros. I dont remember what they were or said. I then rebooted the computer and everything is still missing.

Do you guys think I have some kind of virus ??? or someone hacked me ??

I am using my personal log on right now and if I go under the User folders in My Computer, I can go into the other log in name and see everything I had there.

Please help me out :mad:

I'd suggest you get help over at that forum dasfast posted.
you'll probably have to start with a malwarebytes scan.

-C

Do you guys know if I can perform the removal process when logged in as the Admin ?

When im on the infected log in, It does not let Krill kill the System Restore process. :mad:

I just take the drive out of infected computer stick it in an external enclosure and then scan it on my PC that is running an up to date version of Mircosoft Security Essentials and let it remove anything it finds. I find that there is typically a whole country of virusus populating the infected drive and to remove them all by hand would take an eternity. The last drive I scanned had over 100 different trojan/malware/virus on it..... :eek:
OP

rule #1 if you don't know who the im is from, DO NOT ACCEPT their friend request

leave the malware prompt window open and then you can kill the process using rkill

Last edited:
Ok I got it done.

A couple of things, The files I had inside folders on my desktop are now all on my desktop. So pretty much all files in those folders are not in the folder anymore and are now on the desktop. Its a mess.

Back